Mock scrapes

Jody Hawk

Any of you had success with mock scrapes? I have on several occasions. About ten years ago me and my Daddy were hunting just outside of Newborn and this buck had a line of rubs along a funnel that separated two fields. I went in there and made a mock scrape and doctored it with some doe in heat scent. A week later I went back into the area and every sapling around that scrape had been thrashed !!!! My Daddy wasn't into this type of stuff but I made a believer out of him.

The second was a scrape that I had made during the 2001 season. I kept it freshened up with Code Blue and I watched two different bucks work that scrape that year. One was a longhorn spike and the other was a small ten pointer. I watched the ten pointer come running from 100 yards away straight to the scrape to check it.

In about two more weeks I'll have another one doctored up somewhere. I know that these things can fool a buck !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Randy

I think I have told this stroy here before but it was the old board so here it goes again..
Way back when, before anybody ever mentioned "mock scrapes", I had a brother-in-law that wanted to hunt with my Dad and I. Well he could not sit still in a stand more than an hour and he would be up walking around all through the woods. Dad and I went down around the stand we had built for him and just tore up the woods. Rubbed up trees and made scrapes everywhere. We hoped he would see these, think there was a big deer in the area and stay on stand. The next weekend we heard him shoot about 9:00 and he sounded like he was in the same area/stand. So we get down and go over to see if it was him. Well there he stands next to a 140 class 10 point!!! Says "man you guys should have seen it. He came in and went over there under that tree behind me and began to dig in the ground. I did not see him until I turned around when I heard him." He had not even seen any of the scrapes we had made? This buck had not only freshend up one of the scrapes we had made, but the previous week he had hit all them and a few of the trees around the area. He meant he was not going to stand for another buck in his area. Mock scrapes can and do work!

Mac

Just read an article on the subject

It stated, bucks will come to investigage even from the smell of fresh earth.

I'm going to try it this year

gtaff

Banned
When do you make the mock scrapes??

H

HT2

Mock Scrapes......

I've never experimented with one either......

I might just give it a try to see what happens this year......

I've heard of people having decent success with them............Who knows???? Maybe one of them big 'ol bucks with frequent mine...... :clap:

Jody Hawk

Fellows,
Try one this year !!!!! I'll wait a week or two before I'll make one. Scrape MUST be under an overhanging limb !!!! You are wasting your time if it doesn't have a licking branch !!!!!!

O

OFD2Truck

I've had pretty good luck with them as long as you keep scent to a minimum. This is just what I have had luck with but what I usually do is find a decent size scrape or a series of scrapes. I will then put one in-line and cover it with doe urine for a few days. Let me add that rubber boot and rubber gloves are a must. I will even make a mock rubb to really get him going. I will use a comercial tarsal gland when I plan on hunting and have taken two fine bucks this way. It may have been luck and have had it not work more than I have had it work but the two I have on the wall have been well worth it. Give it a try, alot again depends on your ratio of bucks to does

Label Dawg

The buck in my avatar got his picture taken many times in front of a mock scrape (Always @ night).

Early last October I moved my camera to a new location and made a mock scrape in front of the camera. In less than 6 hours I had a small 8 pt get his picture taken with his nose in the "pawed place". I never wore rubber boots, gloves or anything. About once a week I would walk right up, check my camera, fill up the scrape dripper bottle again, scratch up the leaves in the "pawed place" and leave. I plan on hunting over one this year, especially during the early and latter parts of rifle season. I got way too many DAYTIME pictures of bucks to not give it a try.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
mock scrapes

I'm the type fellow who used the wind to my advantage, combine that with hunting where you see current big tracks and buck sign will do the trick. I don't even worry about camo, after all, why wear it when you have to put that orange pumkin vest on. Take videos while wearing an orange vest and see the glow, take a black/white picture while wearing a vest and it will appear white. About mock scrapes, yes they can work, but here's what I do. I remember where the bucks scraped last season, then during archery season I clean selected scrape sites out with a limb or small rake. Sort of help them out in deciding to use the same places again. That way my stands and blinds will work in the same places.The only scent I use is pine scent and it's gotten free. Break some pine boughs off, rub them over your hunting clothes, then put them on the dirt and destroy them with your boots. Never have a deer smell where I came in. For body scent control I use baking soda and unscented products for personal hygiene. Calling a buck or intercepting him in travel routes beats scrape hunting anyday. Most of the time a wise ol buck will check scrapes during the night or from a downwind thicket without showing himself. Soon as I get all these mounted bucks to talk, they will tell you how they were fooled. :flag:

short stop

JODY I have killed bucks every which way of SUNDAY but I have never used this technq . I have seen others do it ---- I gona try this just by reading responses shown here . Come GUN season I will hunt ALMOST every single day of the season ---expt CHRIMTMAS :bounce: I think you and I work for the same COMPANY? SS

Jody Hawk

short stop said:
Come GUN season I will hunt ALMOST every single day of the season ---expt CHRIMTMAS :bounce

Shortstop,
I'm afraid that doesn't sound like the same place that I work !!!!!!!!! :(

Label Dawg

This 8 pt got his picture taken last December 9th @ 1:48pm.
The mock scrape is in the lower left of the photo with a scrape
dripper directly above it.

Attachments

• dec_9th.8pt.jpg
    dec_9th.8pt.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 294

gtaff

Banned
Shortstop,
Where do you work? I would love to work there. Sounds like a great place to work and you must have a great wife that will let you hunt like that. I go for a couple of hours and she fusses, especially when I do not see deer. :shoot: :shoot:

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
gtaff said:
Shortstop,
Where do you work? I would love to work there. Sounds like a great place to work and you must have a great wife that will let you hunt like that. I go for a couple of hours and she fusses, especially when I do not see deer. :shoot: :shoot:

Dittos here too. It almost takes an act of Congress to talk my wife into letting me go. With a 6 yr old at home and another on the way its tough to find time to get in the woods.
I plan on trying the mock scape this year. Just wondering though since deer tend to sometimes check scrapes downwind, stand palcement would be very important.

Jody Hawk

Made a mock scrape last Monday morning and went back and checked it yesterday evening (Sunday). Already has tracks in it and less than 75 yards away there is a freshly pawed scrape that I know wasn't there when I made mine. I'm gonna keep ya'll up to date on the activity that I see around this mock scrape.

Atlsooner

Was it the right move?

I have a stand along side of a creek. Hardwoods beside and behind me. About 75 yrds from my stand in the pines, I came across a HUGH fresh scrape approxitmately 5-6 feet in diameter. I did put some active scrape on the scrape it self. First of all, do you think I did the wrong thing by putting some active scrape on top of it? Secondly, do you think if I did some grunt calls and rattling it will peek his curiousity? I'm keeping my fingers crossed ! Thanks for any help.

garider01

Buck Working Mock Scrape

I had success last year making a mock scrape with code blue
then set a trail camera. Got a picture of this buck refreshing scrape

Attachments

• Visiting Scrape (2).JPG
    Visiting Scrape (2).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 203

short stop

fellas I work for a plastic concentrare co. 7-7 at night . So I go EVERY day when I get off work ---wife is @ work , all 3 kids in school :D So if I dont go hunting I would just go to sleep ''uh naps in tree stands qualify as good rest ! ;) as far as the wife giving me static --she gave up about 12 years ago ! AND finally JODY I HAVE MADE A MOCK SCRAPE AND IT IS WORKING ! I was shocked how fast they found it! ------------------ also they keep pagin this guy named JODY HAWK on the intercom where I work ! SS