I need a mathematician...

Jack Flynn

I need to know how many oat seeds are in a 50 pound bag of oats? Well last weekend I overseeded some grass in front of one of my Babygirls stands about 150 yds long and 15 yds wide. Then put out probably 40 pounds more of some oat and wheat mix to let it grow and hopefully get that elusive deer close enough to be here first deer kill. I visited that spot five days later and could barely see any seed at all! The turkeys had literally demolished and scratched the ground up and down the whole lane. It's got to be probably millions of head bobbing pecks to get all that seed! Well I guess you could say that's a good problem to have huh....Got to listen to hens calling for almost two solid hours this morning and yesterday morning...I keep getting distracted by the deer walking by while I'm mesmerized by the sweet music... :bounce:

Last edited:

Nitro

Banned
50 lbs!?!?!?

Two hens and a hungry jake could wipe that out...:bounce::bounce:

On my SC club, we are resorting to planting almost only clover........... the seeds are so small they only scratch in it and some germinate.........

We gave up on planting Chufa.... they wear those plots out in a day or two..

It's a bad problem to have.:cool:

I need to know how many oat seeds are in a 50 pound bag of oats? Well last weekend I overseeded some grass in front of one of my Babygirls stands about 150 yds long and 15 yds wide. Then put out probably 40 pounds more of some oat and wheat mix to let it grow and hopefully get that elusive deer close enough to be here first deer kill. I visited that spot five days later and could barely see any seed at all! The turkeys had literally demolished and scratched the ground up and down the whole lane. It's got to be probably millions of head bobbing pecks to get all that seed! Well I guess you could say that's a good problem to have huh....Got to listen to hens calling for almost two solid hours this morning and yesterday morning...I keep getting distracted by the deer walking by while I'm mesmerized by the sweet music... :bounce:

Jack, I found a couple of sites on Google by searching for oat seed count per pound...several of the sites referenced anywhere from 13,000 to 15,000 seeds per pound so a rough estimate would be around 650,000 to 750,000 seeds in a 50 lb bag...

Google that search term...tons of sites about it...also, whomever you bought from should have the seed count info.

:cheers:

Jack Flynn

Might have to shoot them strong necked birds with buckshot. That's a lot of neck moving I'm telling ya! That would be 10 turkeys pecking 1377 times each day for 5 days....Way to much time I tell ya....Looked like hogs had been rooting....:huh::yawn: