Ghillie Suits

Robert Warnock

Do any of you use ghillie suits for turkey hunting. If so, are they that much better than other types of camo. I've been reading about how effective they are for other hunting from the ground.

robertyb

I have never used a ghillie suit but I did buy a blind. I have pitched it in the wide open in a foodplot and had flocks of turkeys walk by and feed within a yard of me totally ignoring the blind.

Attachments

• dscn0229.jpg
    dscn0229.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 307

Gadget

I've never hunted in one but I checked one out and it felt heavy and seemed like it would be very hot once it warms up.

Slasher

correct...

I've never hunted in one but I checked one out and it felt heavy and seemed like it would be very hot once it warms up.

However, If you use just the top... and put it on when you settle down... and yes you do vanish... But man when the critters are @ 5 yds... you do not dare move.... but the adrenaline is something else...:hair:

gobblingghost

there are two draw backs on ghillie suits. HOT and gets caught on every twigg.

clent586

there are two draw backs on ghillie suits. HOT and gets caught on every twigg.

I have on older lightweight leafy suit made by Duxbak. It is a net body with the leafy stuff on the outside, VERY light and breeze blows freely. However the true ghillie suits are s described in the quote. Had several hens within 5-10 yrds last year in a planted pine stand and they never knew I was there. My $.02.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Question-since it has a lot of leafy sections, and seems to be big and bulky, does it magnify your movements?

Cpt_Ahab_86

I'm a Avid Bow Hunter and Ground hunt primarily. Ghillie Suits or "semi-ghillie outfits" are fantastic and a must. If your worried about the heat. Get a Leafy Suit and simply use a shotgun. Leafy Suits are cheap and the shotgun makes it easy. Above all else, Have a good time and make no quick movements.

FireStrut

Banned
I have a Mossy Oak Diffusion and I love mine. This one place I hunt, there is a bunch of hedge bushes real close together. I just get in the middle of them and I disappear.

brucemacgee19

my leafy whitewater vest has zip out sleeves....... and is awsome camo! I also pin on some synthetic leaves for the time of year..... don't forget the leafyfouge head gear. then right before I setup I take the clippers and cut off some sapplings for a little blind effect. long as don't move or fall asleep I'm hid. hahahahh the falling asleep sometimes is a must

Question-since it has a lot of leafy sections, and seems to be big and bulky, does it magnify your movements?

Nick I have a leafy siut and NEVER had a problem although I understand they are selling a light weight suit now and you will disappear..Do not have one myself though.. NO CASH.

I'll use the same excuse as everyone else "Due to gas prices......":banginghe

bugtamer 3d hands down. I only use the top piece. and watch out for the 3d leaf turkey vests ( i dont own one but a friend does) - you tend to reach for the zippers and cant find them because theyre hidden in the leaves...