exclusion cages

coastga

How many of you use exclusion cages so you can judge the browse on your plots? I have never used an exclusion cage but have considered building one out of chicken wire this year. Would a two foot radious be large enough?

coastga

LKennamer

Up to you

You can make them just about any size you want, two feet is probably big enough. You might want to consider using something stiffer than chicken wire though. Sometimes they will get stepped on or pushed over if they are not strong enough. You also want to make sure that deer can't get down through the top, so if you don't have a pretty tall exclosure, put some wire on top to keep them out. Also, whatever you use, make sure the holes are small enough to exclude rabbits and such. It really will show you how well your plots are doing, sometimes it can be eye-opening! And be sure to stake them down good.

E

early riser

At the same time as we planted our VERY FIRST food plots at Crabapple in 2000, I made sure I had at least one exclusion (control cage) for all the big food plots of Crabapple. We usually have (2) exclusion cages in the large plots. There is NO WAY of knowing how much the deer are utilizing that plot and how much that plot is growing and how much it is producing for the wildlife without an exclusion cage.

Sorry...., Pictures have since been removed.

early riser

E

early riser

another.....

P.S. Yes, a 2X2 cage is plenty, just make sure it is high enough for the inside of the cage to be protected high enough to get a true heighth reading inside the cage over time. I made ours out of pressure treated 1x2's and 2x2's, about 48" high with the 1/2" woven wire. Should last us a lifetime.

Sorry...., Pictures have since been removed.

early riser

FootLongDawg

We use them in all our plots. Ours are 3ft. radius per QDMA recommendations

Attachments

• DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 521