Red Top Mountain

flattop

I have been riding through Red Top Mountain on my way home from work for the past month. I have probably been through there 10-12 times from about 5:30 pm - 7:00 PM. I have yet to see a single deer. In the years past one could drive through there and see many deer. Do you think that the deer herd was thinned too much? I really did enjoy seeing the deer almost every trip through. I realize the need to control the herd. What do you thin?

BrianDailey

I believe there are supposed to be only 30 or so deer left. They all have radio collars. GON had some info on it in a couple of issues some months back.

JBowers

flattop said:
I have been riding through Red Top Mountain on my way home from work for the past month. I have probably been through there 10-12 times from about 5:30 pm - 7:00 PM. I have yet to see a single deer. In the years past one could drive through there and see many deer. Do you think that the deer herd was thinned too much? I really did enjoy seeing the deer almost every trip through. I realize the need to control the herd. What do you thin?
Considering the habitat and ecological damage inflicted, no the herd was not over thinned. To initiate maximum recovery in the quickest times (decades) would require all deer to be removed; however, that would probably be socially unacceptable (as indicated by your own post). So the result in somewhere in between.

whatman

radio collard deer

i saw some collard deer while i was fishing altoona walking through a lake house yard. they looked fat and healthy finally.

flattop

Glad to hear they are fat and healthy looking. I was concerned with the destruction of the habitat and their health as well. It was just strange to not see them as abundant in numbers as before. I guess the change will be good for the deer and the habitat. My kids just enjoyed watching them.

JBowers

flattop said:
Glad to hear they are fat and healthy looking. I was concerned with the destruction of the habitat and their health as well. It was just strange to not see them as abundant in numbers as before. I guess the change will be good for the deer and the habitat. My kids just enjoyed watching them.
If you kids are old enough to remember what the habitat and deer looked like last year, then in 10 years they will see why deer must be managed. Just be sure to take this opportunity and make it a memorable lesson!