furs

danmc

Anyone have good tips on fur-on tanning of rabbit skins? I hate to toss such soft fur.

Is the process basically the same as brain tanning buckskin but without the step where you soak in a wood ash mix to remove the hair?

Thanks
-Dan

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dan, you can scrape the hide clean of all meat, fat, and hypodermis and stretch it till dry. Then take it down and make a mix of pork brains with just enough water to make it mushy. Smear this mix on the meat side of the hide, and rub it in well. Then, pull and stretch the hide till it is COMPLETELY dry. You`ll have a brain tanned fur.

danmc

Will that help keep the fur from all falling out? I'm thinking of using it for a hat liner if I can add a few more furs.

Should I smoke it like you would with buckskin?

The two I have in the freezer right now have their winter coats for sure.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dan, the fur will OK. it would be a good idea to smoke it if it will be subjected to moisture. The smoke will keep it from becomin` stiff as it dries from bein` wet.

GAnaturalist

A quick soak in acid (like oak bark, or you could go modern, look in Van Dykes) you kill the bacteria that may otherwise eat away the epidermis. Like those old deer mounts on the wall and you can see the hair falling off. Most of that is bacteria slowly eating away at it.

and with thin furs it is good to scrape the underside from head to tail.

Damon