Bows?

BowHunter89

How many hunt turkeys with a bow? This will be my first year hunting turkeys by myself and I plan on going after them my bow and was looking for tips or hints!:bounce:

Wishin I was Fishin

I plan on givin it a whirl this year... i was going to last year, for my 3rd bird, but my 2nd and 3rd came in at the same time and i couldn't pass up the double that they presented me... maybe it'll play out better for me this year ;)

Parker

2 for me.......its NOT easy no matter how good you feel your setup is. :bounce:

I've got 15 more days of archery season here in MO to work on my tags too. It will be interesting hunting with the windchill at nights right now below 0.

Parker

wack em

Im going after them bow only again this year for the secound year in a row. Limited out in two weeks last year. Get you a double bull blind, pretty boy decoy, some rocket Sledgehammers 150gr 3 1/2" cut broadheads, and roost a bird on a field and you should have no problem killing more than the shotgun hunters.

Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions, i work hard at being successful bowhunting turkeys and would be glad to share anything i know with you.

BowHunter89

I already have a blind but its not a double bull but I think it will work ok. What do I need in the way of decoys, I already have a few calls I will have to see what they are and let yall know so you can tell me if they are ok.

Gadget

I already have a blind but its not a double bull but I think it will work ok. What do I need in the way of decoys, I already have a few calls I will have to see what they are and let yall know so you can tell me if they are ok.

Your Iron Mace will work good, I shoot one too, light and FAST, but unlike deer hunting it's best if the arrow doesn't pass through. The arrow tends to anchor them, they're more apt to fly with a pass though. There's a new broadhead on the market just for turkey hunting, can't remember who makes it but it has hooks to stop the arrow in the bird. There are some adapters you can screw on to use with the broadhead or expandable your currently using. You might want to decrease the poundage by 5-10lbs depending on how comfortable you can draw in a blind, you need to test it, if not already.

A full strut decoy with one or two hens would work best, prettyboy, B-mobil, or King Strut are your best options with the strutter.

Last edited:

Nitro

Banned
Im going after them bow only again this year for the secound year in a row. Limited out in two weeks last year. Get you a double bull blind, pretty boy decoy, some rocket Sledgehammers 150gr 3 1/2" cut broadheads, and roost a bird on a field and you should have no problem killing more than the shotgun hunters.

Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions, i work hard at being successful bowhunting turkeys and would be glad to share anything i know with you.

Not to start the urination contests already, but it sounds to me (from your description) that you are merely ambushing Gobblers and not calling them in........(which to me is the real challenge to Spring Longbeard hunting)......

If I got a Pretty Boy and hunted a Roost area, I would really be unbeatable.....:bounce: (in less than 14 days)....oh well, to each his own:rofl:

Gadget

Not to start the urination contests already, but it sounds to me (from your description) that you are merely ambushing Gobblers and not calling them in........(which to me is the real challenge to Spring Longbeard hunting)......

If I got a Pretty Boy and hunted a Roost area, I would really be unbeatable.....:bounce: (in less than 14 days)....oh well, to each his own:rofl:

:rofl:

Which is the main reason I don't bow hunt gobblers much, don't like the methods, that and the high percentage of wounded birds........BUT with that being said I still plan on bow hunting some this year, no blind though and probably try with no decoys either, I know my odds of success are low but I'll get more enjoyment out of the "Hunt".

Last edited:

wack em

Maybe to you, but to me spring longbeard hunting is about getting close, two of the three birds that i killed last season were less than 15 yards with one being at 7 yards. I enjoyed watching the bird that was at 15 yards spit and drum at my decoy for thirty minutes before sending a rocket into his wing. Not to mention, im killing those nasty field birds that leave the decoy less, turkey calling experts scratching their heads everytime.
But as you said "to each is his own"

fountain

i guess you have a lot more birds to hunt than i do. i have to pull out all the tricks just to get one maybe two. every few years i actually tag out, but usually one or two.

i killed my first 2 with a bow last year----and yes i did lose one. i almost cried-- it was the first one i shot and it was a monster. i knew the distance, just did not compensate and aim a little high. MY FAULT. i was more nervous watching him than having a big buck come in. i did kill 2 more, both out of blinds and the came in gobbling--one being in the evening time to boot. i hunted them like i do with a shotgun, except i was in a blind with a lesser weapon. still tons of fun for ME. i am going to do the same this year. here is a pic of my firs one with a bow--he was a mature bird with over 1" spurs--just had a bit of beard rot or mites. the tips of the beard was reddish looking. not the biggest one in the world, but i was tickled to death and felt like i owned the world. it is a great feeling to try something new and be successful knowing that you succeded with the odds against you.

turkey.jpg

Gadget

Rocket makes the Tom-o-hawk broadheads, might want to try those, but that's not the ones I was thinking of.

I don't see sledgehammers listed on the website anymore, looks like they might of stopped making them or just renamed them.

wack em

Rocket makes the Tom-o-hawk broadheads, might want to try those, but that's not the ones I was thinking of.

I don't see sledgehammers listed on the website anymore, looks like they might of stopped making them or just renamed them.

Yea, i noticed the other day that they changed the name of them to Tom o hawk, i think it is because trophy ridge is somehow in the picture with rocket now as well.

CornCallsJE

If ya want to stop your arrow inside then try the Scorpios. I think ya can find them anywhere but I use 3 Rivers Archery. They have mainly stuff for us Trad shooters but some wheelie guys go there.

J.E.

Gadget

If ya want to stop your arrow inside then try the Scorpios. I think ya can find them anywhere but I use 3 Rivers Archery. They have mainly stuff for us Trad shooters but some wheelie guys go there.

J.E.

I've been using something like the scorpios but mine didn't slide down the shaft, they're called gobblestoppers I think.

Here are the ones I was trying to remember,Turkey Terrors, from American Broadhead Company, same people who make sonics.

http://www.americanbroadhead.com/turkey_heads.shtml

Another thing that comes in handy is a bow pod. Contact *********** (bow only) he sells the vertical advantage that I have and recommend for use when bow hunting on the ground.

fountain

i bet the 2 blade rage heads will be deadly, but they will not work with the shoot through mesh. i shot the shuttle -t's last year at about 56-57 lbs. i got one pass through and the other one did not penetrate through the wing too well--both were dead in seconds.