William Bartram?

Randy

Anybody ever read any of his writings?

I bought a book during Christmas about his travels through Georgia. I can not put it down. I read the book then look at my Georgia Gazetter and follow his travels. It is very interesting and informative, almost addictive.

S

Scott

I haven't heard of him. Could you give the name of the book. thanks

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Randy, everything I`ve ever read by Bartram was first rate.

Travels Through The Southeast, was my favorite.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nope Jeff, I didn't have time for young sprouts. I have the book and read it a few years ago. We are indebted to William Bartram for the simple reason that he left us the only complete description in existence as to what GA and the Southeast was like before it was despoiled by European settlers.

He was a trained Botanist and thus was able to describe the country side in reasonably accurate detail. I was especially intrigued by his mention of encountering a one acre "buffalo wallow" somewhere in the Louisville-Augusta area. Sure hope our friends who often sight black panthers and sasquatch don't hear about the buffalo wallow.

He spotted and collected the "Lost Gordonia" (Franklinia altamaha) in a sandhill bay near Fort Barrington. The site is on lands that I managed for some 20 years. The site is some eight miles west of Darien of the north side of the Altamaha River.

When you read his accounts of encountering alligators in his swing into Florida, I believe that you will agree that his imagination gets somewhat carried away.

Every outdoorsman should read this book.

Last edited:

westcobbdog

can someone briefly outline the route he took through Ga...I know he went into North Carolina through the Natahala area..but where in Ga did he travel??

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Think about the tens of millions of acres of mature hardwood/pine forest with clear streams and rivers running through it, then look at the millions of acres of pine plantations that we have now.It makes me appreciate any natural stand of timber that I see all the more.It must have been beautiful beyond belief in Georgia and the entire southeast when the Indians still owned it.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
His travels were extensive. I am most familiar with his route from
Savannah down the coast and on into Florida. He traveled the trail that came to be known as the Coastal Highway, now I-95.

Here is an exerpt from his diary describing his travels thru what is now McIntosh County:

In 1773, William Bartram embarked on a series of investigations that carried him through coastal Georgia and northeastern Florida. In his Travels, Bartram offers some notes on his exploration of the area that would become McIntosh County. The passage following relates to a visit by Bartram in the spring of 1773: “The next morning . . . I set off for the settlements on the Alatamaha, still pursuing the high road for Fort Barrington, till towards noon, when I turned off to the left, following the road to Darien, a settlement on the river, twenty miles lower down, and near the coast. The fore part of this day’s journey was pleasant, the plantations frequent, and the roads in tolerable good repair. But the country being now less cultivated, the roads became bad, pursuing my journey almost continually, through swamps and creeks, till night, when I lost my way; but coming up to a fence, I saw a glimmering light, which conducted me to a house, there I stayed all night . . . Early next morning , I set off again . . . towards Darien. I rode several miles through a high forest of pines, thinly growing on a level plain, which admitted an ample view, and a free circulation of air, to another swamp; and crossing a considerable branch of Sapello river (actually South Newport River), I then came to a small plantation by the side of another swamp: the people were remarkably civil and hospitable. The man’s name was M’Intosh, a family of the first colony established in Georgia, under the conduct of General Oglethorpe . . . I was treated there with some excellent venison, and here found friendly and secure shelter from a tremendous thunderstorm….

“The tempest being over, I . . . took leave of my friends, and departed. The air was now cool and salubrious, and riding seven or eight miles, through a pine forest, I came to Sapello bridge, to which the salt tide flows. I here stopped . . . (then proceeded) to Mr. L M’Intosh’s near the river . . .”

Note: The Sapelo Bridge referred to above is now the community of Eulonia on Hwy. 17.

westcobbdog

thanks Vernon..very cool..was he alone? Was he commissioned by a higher authority to explore and document? I am also amazed he didn't spend all his time wandering around in circles!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bartram apparently traveled alone except for the occasions when he could engage a local guide who would accompany him for a ways.

He traveled by horseback and apparently utilized a pack animal(s) as well, since he obviously carried camping provisions along with seeds and plant specimens.

He made numerous side trips by canoe in his search for new plants, flowers, and animals. He discovered the warmouth perch and classified it, only to find out later that someone had previously classified and named the common fish of the South.

The plant material was destined to be utilized in his Father's arboretum near Philadelphia. Not sure how he transferred the material to Philly. His journey lasted four years, so it is obvious that he had some means of shipping. I would suspect that much of the plant material was shipped by coastal schooners.

As I recall, Bartram was commissioned by some entity in England with the agreement to share his discoveries with them. Most of what he sent there was composed of seed. This would have assisted with financing the venture. The arboretum in Philly was the family's means of financial support.

Not only was Bartram a Naturalist, but he was an artist who accurately sketched drawings of plants as he collected them. He was obviously an adventurist as well.

westcobbdog

thanks for the link Randy--interesting reading..also interesting to read the amount of plants and animals he discovered and documented..including the pitcher plant and the gopher tortuise(sp)

Mojo^

"Travels" is a must read if you enjoy Georgia history. If you like that try to find a copy of The De Soto Chronicles. It has two volumes and maps that document De Soto's explorations from 1539-1543. No where near as quaint and benign as Bartram's adventures (actually quite violent) but very educational none the less.

widowmaker1

check out a book called [this so remote frontier],it has excerts from bartram's journals, it also has excerts from some of desoto's soldiers. it is a great book that mentions the native buffalo and elk here in georgia. i got my copy at the ocmulgee indian mounds in macon

ruphus

part of the trail is about 9 miles from my house, runs north/south through lincoln county parallel with clark hill lake.

Quercus Alba

Excellent read indeed. If you liked his writtings I would also suggest those of John Lawson and Mark Catesby.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i walked a trail in montgomery this week that was a dedicated bartram trail. i loved the quote on the sign !!!

Attachments

• MARCH 053 copy.jpg
    MARCH 053 copy.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 936