PDA

View Full Version : Remember Jerry Clower???

trkyhntr70
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I was helping my father out recently and something reminded me of a Jerry Clower story..
We used to listen to the cassettes over and over...
:bounce:
Honestly I like so many of the stories I cant recall a favorite..... Remember, Highball,Uncle Versy, an poor ol Marcel:bounce::bounce:
Wish I could find it on cd..

Jody Hawk
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
"Knock him out John" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Loved him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We miss you Jerry !!!!!!!!! :cry:

http://deehumor.homestead.com/knockhimout.html

jason308
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
His CDs are still available....I bought one not too long ago from WalMart or somewhere......Got to see him live one time when I was a young 'un.....That was awesome!!! Wish he was still around.....

CAL
01-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Yep,like you all,I miss ole Jerry too.Saw him once at a farm show.He had hundreds of folks just rolling in the grass.Good clean fun with no bad language whatsoever.Yep,I miss you too Jerry!

secondseason
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I loved Jerry Clower, hadn't thought of him in a while. I don't know which of the women Ledbetters said it but she said when her son had gotten dirty that "it would be easier to have another un than to clean you up"

or them having dinner and the power went out causin Uncle Versie to end up with six forks in the back of his hand going for the last piece of chicken.

Thank you for the memories!

GrlsHnt2
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I bought 3 cd's for my dad for Christmas a few years ago. I think I found them at Wally World.

specialk
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
saw him in concert in ptree city back in the early 80's.....he was a good'en, wish we had more like him..........

Arrow3
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I saw Jerry at the Grand Ole Opry one time...He's a hoot!

Snakeman
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
The Snake Charmer ate breakfast with Jerry at the campground at Holiday Beach in Douglas. Jerry ate cereal (I don't remember what kind). The Snake Charmer's nephew was under the picnic table, trying to pick the "bumps" off of Jerry's ostrich skin boots.

"If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'"

The Snakeman

Paymaster
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
...Y'all done flung a cravin on me! :bounce:

One of the best country comedians for sure .

patchestc
01-07-2008, 04:48 PM
saw him at the ag expo in moultrie one time, he was doing a show
sponsored by massey ferguson. once in 94 he came to a grand
opening of a car dealership in Waycross. signed a picture for my
then 10 yr old son. one great entertainer.

Otis
01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
never got to see him, but know alot of his stories, he is / was the best when it came to making humor out of an ordinary day. My favorite was the coon hunting monkey.

"if there is one thing that monkey hates worse than a coon, its a lying coon dog!"

Sutallee
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Haaaawwww!!!!

dixie
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Just shoot up here amongest us, one of us has to have some relief!!!! I miss him a bunch

Tomboy Boots
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
saw him at the ag expo in moultrie one time, he was doing a show sponsored by massey ferguson. once in 94 he came to a grand opening of a car dealership in Waycross. signed a picture for mythen 10 yr old son. one great entertainer.

I also saw him at the Ag Expo, he was so funny.... And you can find his CD's at WalMart, I bought my Dad and Grandpa a couple for Christmas last year.

EAGLE EYE 444
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
"Just shoot up here amongst us, cause one of us has to get some relief". (Tale of the sooped-up Mississippi Wildcat)

Now that was one of Jerry's funniest tales for sure. It was amazing that Jerry NEVER used profanity during any of his appearances BUT he sure was the funniest guy in the business. He appealed to an audience of all ages and he always put a smile on your face and laughter in your heart. Every time I listen to one of his tales, it makes me feel as though I am right there with all of the characters involved and it makes me feel as though I really am a participant in the tale being told. I love listening to several of Jerry's CD's especially while flying back and forth to Texas. I know that people sitting around me must think that I am crazy because I am laughing most of the time even though I may have heard the same tales many times before. These CD's and several by Toby Keith sure make the flight time pass quickly. I remember dozens of his tales over the years and I really like the one about "The She-Coon of the Women's Lib Movement. His tales are so funny that your sides will hurt from laughing so hard. It just never gets old. I sure miss Jerry. Try Walmart, that is where I bought Jerry's CD's.

Oldstick
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Are you hurt?? Nawwwww SIRRRR!!!! I am fine!!!!!!

hizzoner51
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
yep, he is well remembered. came from the vicinity of Yazoo, Mississippi. :bounce:

Route 4, Liberty, Mississippi. in Amite County
:biggrin2:

56willysnut
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I remember his commercials for Woooooo Magic Bait!! on Saturdays.

Uncle Joe
01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Try this

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Clower/artist/B000APXRGE

Otis
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYUrdMzbtUg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYUrdMzbtUg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

packrat
01-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Saw him at a local high school show that was put on to raise money for kid's scholarships. If I remember correctly he was with Box Car Wille & The Kendalls. My favorite tape was "Country Ham"

Goatman70
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
"I just want to make sure he knows IM a Bull!"

Nicodemus
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I had the priveledge of seein` him twice, back in the 70s. Him, and Red Skelton, were the two funniest men alive! I miss em both.

Lead Poison
01-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I too remember and loved listening to Yazoo City, Mississippi's Jerry Clower

"The only thing worse than a coon, is a lying coon dog."

"Shoot up here; one of us just has to have some relief."

"Awwww, mercy!"

trkyhntr70
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Man you guys reminded me of so much more of those great stories, Do ya remember the " Incident with Marcel and the beer joint"???
Marcels overalls were always floppin on one side,:bounce::bounce:
Im gonna look for those cds.

redneckcamo
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
"Knock him out John" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Loved him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We miss you Jerry !!!!!!!!! :cry:

http://deehumor.homestead.com/knockhimout.html
........... we use too listen too Jerry Clower all the time when we was kids .....an the ole Knock him out john ...wyaaaaaaa this thangs killn me... somebody shoot up in here amongst us cause one of us gots too have some relief..........an the ole story about eatin mustards sardines an gettin up all in they eyebrows.......wow havent thought bout that in a while ....thanx fer the memories JERRY.....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

wandering cowboy
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
" they gave Marcel the beer joint!"
" lynx ..what we called a suped up wildcat!"
Got to see him at a local high svhool when I was a little feller. Still have some of his tapes around here. Good clean fun, miss him for sure.
Nathan

Huntin Dad
01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I saw Jerry at the Ag Expo in Moultrie in 1984. He was funny!

I remember the story about Jerry and Marcell on the train. Train went in the tunnel at the same time Marcell took his first bite ever of a bannaner. Marcell thought he went blind.

I know we all remember "Setten up with the dead"

doublebrowtine
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
There will never be another Jerry Clower. Have all his cassette tapes.

rhbama3
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Ardell, Burnell, raynell, W.L., Lynell, Odell, Udell, Marcel, Claude, Newgene, Clovis, Aunt Pet and Uncle Versey Ledbetter.
Sorry, had to do it. Still the funniest "Country" comedian ever.

dhardegree
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
What about when that feller stopped the train to see if the engineer wanted to buy a 'coon or opposum?

Thanks to XM's laugh USA for playin' Jerry from time to time.

DukTruk
01-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I found a bunch of his stuff on I Tunes.....go figure.....I don't think he was as much of a comedian as he was a story teller. He could tell some great tales.

I remember back in the early 90's I went to church camp (don't remember where). All the kids from all over the south arrived on Sunday afternoon. We were all unloading our stuff after riding several hours crammed into the rented vans.

We hear a big roar and turn around and here comes a freakin church bus that would make Van Halen proud. On the side of it was "Yazoo First Baptist Church". (Jerry's home church). Even as a pimplefaced teenager I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do for the church. Also got to meet his daughter that trip.....she was really nice and down to earth.....I don't remember her being overly funny like her pops...

C Cape
01-08-2008, 02:28 AM
"Give them coons a sporting chance....They still have the option of whooping all them dawgs and walking away!"

Ruger#3
01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
"He only wore one suspender on them bib overalls the other was always floppin. They was the only thing betwix him and the Lord."

Great humorist, miss his talents!

BoxCallWillie
01-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Man I sure miss him,
bought my first album of him in 1971 or 72
I cant remember 1st of many. still have them all.

My cousin opened a show for him at
the Ga. Mtn. Fair in the late 90's.
He sure had a way of brightning yer day !!!

Holton
01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Good remembering this morning

GobblingDawg
01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Classic, in every sense of the word!!
:cool::fine::cool:

Go Dawgs and come on turkey season,
GobblingDawg

Daddyboy
01-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I really hate that my kids just don't inderstand Jerry the way I did. Course, they ain't raising hogs, (cause moma don't like the smell) or chickens (cause it ain't cost effective rite know), shooting critters too often (cause mamas pertickler about what I put on the table).
What's a man to do? I just try to make things easier for them than the way I thought it was growing up. Now, I want it the way it was growing up. Course my oldest for kids are not the "woodsy types" like my youngest two. But they all make A and B's. I never quite made it that high. Maybe it's cause I wanted to live the life Jerry was talking bout. I always wanted to be a log truck too. Rhhuuummmm Rhhhuuuuummmmmmmm!

crow
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Duktruc, did you meet Amy or the little one..can't remember her name? I had the pleasure to grow up on the same street with the Clowers in Yazoo City. I can assure you, as good of a comedian as he was, he was a better man! Ray, his son, and I played football together for the Yazoo Indians. I can still hear Mr. Clower's voice before every game when we lined up for the kickoff. He's stand up and yell, and you can bet you could hear him a mile off, "Whaaaaaaaw! Let the hammer down, boys!"

One thing is for sure, the man you hear on those records is the same man you'd meet on Main Street. He was honest, funny, loveable, and sincere, no matter the place or circumstance. He loved kids more than any man I've ever met...black, white, didn't matter to him. He once threatened to leave First Baptist when those in power didn't want to let a college choir come in because it had some blacks in it...said he didn't want to be a part of a church with that kind of hate in it, that it couldn't see past the color of a child's skin. I still get goose bumps when I think of how he stood up in church and said that one Sunday night.

I got to have lunch with him in Snellville the year before he died. He spoke at First Baptist there and we got to eat good home cooking at AJ's Barbecue.

Thanks for some good reminders of a good man and a good friend from "back home." I still remember him telling that he "played in the first college football game he ever saw!"

crow

BubbaD
01-08-2008, 10:19 AM
"The 1st college football I ever saw I played in"

"It didnt take me long to figure out I wasnt the man what run with the football"

"The worst dog fight I ever saw was over a pot of boiled okry...........both dogs were fightin...but didnt one of them know what they wuz fighten about :rofl:

I had the good fortune of seeing him 3 times in the 80's. One time he was performing at the Cobb Civic Center and I was on about the 5th or 6th row. He mentioned a book he had written and I happened to have it with me and held it up. He hollered and said.."Now I love everyone....but I love you just a little bit more cause you got my book" :biggrin2:
I'll never forget that. The name of the book is "Aint God Good". I had him sign it on two different occasions.

potsticker
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I think the big jon story is my fovorite. If you aint big jon im gone!

Dog Hunter
01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04-GyUBti4

m_califf
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
"God said the first time He saw that dog, He thought it was a lion too."

BubbaD
01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
"yes he is! He is good at what he does....BUUT first I have to saw up the pulp wood Before he can pilot"

Mark Brooks
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
My girls are always yelling: "Lion in the Yard!! Lion in the Yard!!"

My dad clips his golden every spring and we beg him to clip him like a lion just once. He can't bring himself to do that to his dog!!

We listen to Jerry's CD in my truck every so often and the girls still laugh (14 and 10). I wish I could have seen him live.

God memories

MB

JShane
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
"Hold ole Blue, Hold ole Blue"

Got to see him when I ws a youngin in the 80's myself. Signed my ball cap. Wish I still had that hat. Crow, thanks for the insight into such a fine Southern Gentleman.
"Down went ole Della, Graveyard dead"
"Jerry that feller made you so mad I killed three of his cows."

BubbaD
01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
"...and......Had a Rat killin....If I'm lyin I'm Dyin...we had rat killens in those days"

"I ate so much boiled okry growin up I couldnt keep my socks up"