Boat question

mmcneil

I usually fish lakes for striper or crappie and go to the coast and fish off the shore. I'm looking at a Carolina Skiff DLV 218. I dont wont a boat strickly for the ocean, but if I'm buying a new boat I would like one that could handle the water. Would a boat like this be strickly for the bays or could I go out a few miles on the calm days? It's 21' long with a 150 suzuki 4stroke with the full electronics pkg. I currently have a bass boat and dont wont to limit myself again.

thanks

Russ Toole

It would be fine for the bays, but you will get beat to death in that bathtub in the ocean. I have a 23' polar and i get 30 miles out in gulf 2-3 seas. You need some V bottom or you will get beatup. That skiff is fine for lakes or bays. Sea pro makes a nice bay boat, as well as many others.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Ditto Destin Bound, that flat bottom skiff will beat your guts out in a 2-3 seas, the fish good and drift well, but you couldn't give me one. JMO, no thats a fact.

larpyn

It would be fine for the bays, but you will get beat to death in that bathtub in the ocean. I have a 23' polar and i get 30 miles out in gulf 2-3 seas. You need some V bottom or you will get beatup. That skiff is fine for lakes or bays. Sea pro makes a nice bay boat, as well as many others.

my experience too with that particular boat is the flat front makes for a wet ride if you hit anything more than 1 footers.

G Duck

good boat for the money for use inshore. It will beat you like a drum if you get into a chop, and will wet you good.

Apex Predator

It may come apart at the seams offshore. I've seen small 15-17' bowriders 25 miles out, but it's not the smart thing to do. Conditions can change fast offshore and not always predictable.

mmcneil

Thanks for the help, what would be your suggestions for a boat in the $25,000.00 range? I still wont a boat that would work in local lakes as well as the ocean.

thanks

Russ Toole

23' polar bay boat

This boat is perfect for striper, bass, flats for trout, reds, and take it offshore every year in Destin for grouper, snapper, tuna, wahoo, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 425
  • P1010093 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010093 (600 x 450).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 419
  • P1010091 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010091 (600 x 450).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 419
  • P1010083 (640 x 480).jpg
    P1010083 (640 x 480).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 463
  • P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 423

larpyn

nice boat destin. if it were mine i would have to put a t-top on it for some shade and electronics protection.

larpyn

Dang, just looking at my boat gets me excited. :whip:

me too. we were planning on going offshore this weekend in the gulf but i have already called it off due to 5-7 footers expected thru the weekend.:banginghe:banginghe

Russ Toole

A few more. Man, I get like this every year after deer season. Bring on saltwater sundays on tv. Feel the need to go deep.

Attachments

• P1000641.JPG
    P1000641.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 418
  • P1000646.JPG
    P1000646.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 414
  • P1010094 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010094 (600 x 450).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 403
  • P1010104 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010104 (600 x 450).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 402
  • P1010092 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1010092 (600 x 450).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 403

Russ Toole

Ive got a large blue bimini top that came with it, which covers me good. I have thought of ordering a t-top for it though.

MudDucker

Staff member
You don't pick a boat for what it can do on great weather days, you pick a boat for what it can do if the weather changes. The ocean is a fickle lady. I've ridden out on slick seas and good reports only to get my butt beat the whole way back in. I've never been on the ocean when I said, I wish I have less of a v in my bow or dang, this boat is just too big. Accordingly, I would not recommend, nor will I ride in a skiff beyond five miles from shore.

larpyn

You don't pick a boat for what it can do on great weather days, you pick a boat for what it can do if the weather changes. The ocean is a fickle lady. I've ridden out on slick seas and good reports only to get my butt beat the whole way back in. I've never been on the ocean when I said, I wish I have less of a v in my bow or dang, this boat is just too big. Accordingly, I would not recommend, nor will I ride in a skiff beyond five miles from shore.

good advice. i have been in "the perfect storm" several times and it is no fun getting caught 30 miles offshore with a storm between you and shore. not good.

Nautical Son

Destin, Nice Ride dude isn't that a Fishmaster?

Mr.Mcneil, You need to check out the Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser lineup, I have a 17' rg and take it out on the sounds all the time never get further than 2-3 miles offshore as I have no real desire. Everyone is correct in the fact that the boat you asked about will beat your fillings loose in rough water even though it is a modified Vee.

You may also check out the Key Largo's as they are very sea worthy (ask Capt Stan) anything less than 115 hp and 18 ft is about as small as I would look for if I intended to go further offshore.

Russ Toole

Thanks, Its made by Dynasty boats in alabama. The mold for Polar and Fishmaster are the same. Tracker bought the mold from fishmaster. If your planning on going offshore, i definately wouldnt go smaller than 19'. You would be amazed at how a few extra feet really makes a difference in the ride.

Nautical Son

Destin, thought the side view looked familiar. I have always liked the Fishmaster's.

Please don't take this the wrong way though, I have read rumors of serious gelcoat issues on Polar hulls a.k.a. Dynasty. Heard they closed down the facility in Bama and moved it somewhere like Missouri????? Major bad reviews, wish I could remember where they were at I'd give you a link.

Russ Toole

Destin, thought the side view looked familiar. I have always liked the Fishmaster's.

Please don't take this the wrong way though, I have read rumors of serious gelcoat issues on Polar hulls a.k.a. Dynasty. Heard they closed down the facility in Bama and moved it somewhere like Missouri????? Major bad reviews, wish I could remember where they were at I'd give you a link.

Well mine is a 2002, and as you can see in the above pics, the hull is spotless, and ive been in some ---- seas out of the gulf. Never heard of the hull issues. The company is still producing boats, and very nice ones at that.

www.dynastyboats.com