Who's got a good gumbo recipe?

E

Etter1

I've got a bunch of dark meat from the bird I killed and I think I'll make some turkey/crawfish gumbo. Anybody got a good recipe for me? Come on cajuns!

GeauxLSU

Oil & water.

You're not talking about both together are you?
If anybody tells you different, they don't have a clue.
Seafood (including crawfish) must go with other seafood. Fowl can go with sausage. The twain must not meet.
So I can give you a recipe for a crawfish gumbo OR a turkey/sausage gumbo but I ain't giving you no recipe for a 'turkey/crawfish' gumbo (that actually hurt to type). Maybe some pretender can. ;) :p
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ps - Do you plan to make your own roux or do have some pre-made store bought (and yes, store bought is VERY acceptable).

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I have an excellent seafood Gumbo recipe with a homemade roux, though I'm not sure how it would turn out with fowl.

QuakerBoy

Etter,

Ya recon either of em plan on sharring that recipie? :bounce: :huh:

GeauxLSU

Cranky yankees....

rpaul11 said:
Etter,

Ya recon either of em plan on sharring that recipie? :bounce: :huh:
I'd rather type ONE instead of two and it'll have to be tonight.
Lack of grits? Try some prune juice! :whip: ::ke: :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

E

Etter1

Usually I just throw a bunch of stuff in a crockpot and it usually turns out real good. I didn't know there were eithics involved. Alright, somebody share a turkey and sausage recipe for me. I'd really appreciate it.

QuakerBoy

GeauxLSU said:
I'd rather type ONE instead of two and it'll have to be tonight.
Lack of grits? Try some prune juice! :whip: ::ke: :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

But what if I wanted to make both :bounce:

Just messin Mr Phil :love:

GeauxLSU

Etter1 said:
Usually I just throw a bunch of stuff in a crockpot and it usually turns out real good. I didn't know there were eithics involved. Alright, somebody share a turkey and sausage recipe for me. I'd really appreciate it.
NO 'ethics' but yes, some things are just 'morally wrong', like putting ketchup on a fine filet or mixing seafood and fowl in gumbo. ;)
I'll try and get you one tonight before some guests arrive.
The big question is, do you have access to store bought roux and if not, have you ever made it from scratch?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

GeauxLSU

rpaul11 said:
But what if I wanted to make both :bounce:
Then I'll be typing both. Just ask.
It's an efficiency thing.
I know you're just ::ke: . Long winters.... :p
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

QuakerBoy

Well, I wouldn't mind having the seafood one myself.

But no hurry if ya got guests coming in.

:fine:

GeauxLSU

rpaul11 said:
Well, I wouldn't mind having the seafood one myself.

But no hurry if ya got guests coming in.

:fine:
I'll get 'em both up there. You can make them essentially the same way if you must but it's better if made specifically for the meats.

Actually, let me get check something right quick....

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

QuakerBoy

I would need the roux recipie also Phil I wouldn't even know where to start looking for store bought kind :eek:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Here's one that I know is good because I have made it and believe it or not the recipe calls for both seafood and fowl, though when I made it I doubled everything on the recipe in order to make a really large pot. It is fairly expensive to make, however.

Creole Turkey Gumbo

Ingredients:

1lb. - medium shrimp, frozen (thawed) or fresh
1 bag - frozen gumbo vegetables (Publix brand works well)
2/3 cup - all-purpose flour
1/2 cup - cooking oil
1/2 cup - chopped onion
1/4 cup - celery (optional)
1/4 cup - chopped green pepper (optional)
1 clove - minced garlic
1-1/2 tsp - Cajun seasoning
4 cups - reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup - tomato paste
1 - Bay leaf
6 ounces - cooked andouille or smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (Hillshire Farms Smoked link sausage works well
1cup - chopped cooked turkey or grilled chicken
4 oz. - cooked crabmeat or claw meat cut into bite size pieces
1 tbs - creamy p-nut butter
3/4 tsp - file powder (gumbo file)
5 cups - cooked rice
1 - Bottle hot pepper sauce

Directions:

1. Thaw shrimp, rinse and pat dry: set aside

2. for roux, stir together flour and the 1/2 cup oil till smooth in a heavy 4 qt. dutch oven or large cast iron frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a long handled wooden spoon. Reduce to medium. Cook and stir constantly 10 to 15 minutes more or until roux is a dark reddish brown. Stir in onion, garlic, cajun seasoning. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 more minutes.

Note: If you burn the roux start over! Making roux is about like making gravy, though it appears to want to burn easier. You will not get the desired dark red tint w/o a cast iron frying pan or dutch oven.

3. Gradually stir broth into roux mixture. Stir in tomato paste and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil. Add shrimp, cook 2 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Stir in sausage, turkey, crabmeat, p-nut butter, and file powder. Heat through. Discard Bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over hot cooked rice and top with hot pepper sauce to taste.

Makes about 10 servings as is or 20 servings if doubled.

Enjoy!

Gumbo Recipes

Etter 1, et al.......roux is not really hard to make, you just have to pay close attention to what you're doing and watch the temperature. I have gobs of gumbo recipes, not just seafood. And, if you like gumbo, I've got some sauce piquante recipes that'll knock your socks off. Those of you that are interested, pm me, and I'll gladly share. For those curious, born in Lafourche Parish, raised in Plaquemines Parish in La, cousins still barely speak intelligible English. Miss the culture, not the food (cook it myself). Will never live there again, but going to suck some crawfish heads in Bayou Pigeon the end of the month!

don

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
BroadheadBoudreaux,

Don't be shy, go ahead and share some of your favorites with all of us... :D

I'm always interested in learning and trying new recipes...:cheers:

GeauxLSU

Seafood gumbo.

OK,
I can't find THE recipe (my father's) but this one will work.
You've already got the recipe for roux and ample warning to be careful, do it slowly, and do NOT leave it unattended. You can burn it very very very very quickly! It is NOT salvageable. Gotta' start ALL over again. Once again, store bought is perfectly fine to use and much much easier.
1 large onion
2-3 pods garlic
1/2 bell pepper
3 qt. water
salt, red & black pepper
1 can fresh claw crabmeat
several whole crabs
1lb peeled shrimp (You can use any size you'd like but generally smaller shrimp are used and prevents fighting amongst the guest ;) )
oysters and liquid (I generally do NOT use oysters)
1/2 c. parsley
3-4 chopped green onions
After roux is made and still hot cut up onion, garlic, bell pepper and add to roux. Slowly add about 3 quarts of water, stirring WHILE YOU POUR. Add salt and peppers to taste (season well).
Then add fresh claw crabmeat and several cleaned whole crabs and cook (slow boil) about an hour. Then add one or more pounds of raw peeled shrimp and liquid from a pint of oytsers (I use a pint of stout chicken stock instead) and cook until shrimp are done. Add chopped parsley and green onions about 30 minutes before serving. About 15 minutes before serving, add the oysters. Serve over rice.
IMPORTANT notes.
1) Have a bottle of fresh file` on hand.
2) Gumbo is ALWAYS better the 2nd or 3rd day (after the seasonings have merged well.
3) It freezes very well so make a bunch.

I do NOT like okra in gumbo. Some like to add tabasco into their servings, I think it just sours it (like everything else you put it on) but if you like it, sprinkle away.

"Gumbo weather" is thankfully ending but it's good on any cool and especially rainy days. RPaul, you should be set through June huh? :p ;)

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

GeauxLSU

Duck & Sausage

Etter,
I've admitedly never had turkey gumbo, but here's one for Duck & Sausage that I'm sure you can easily substitute the duck with turkey.

6 cups roux (in liquid form)
6 cups chopped onion, green pepper, and celery mixture.
2 gal water.
8 large ducks cut into serving pieces and browned.
5 tbsp sale
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
(Tabasco if desired to taste)
2 lb smoked sausage
3 tbsp file` (I generally do NOT add that to the mixture but let the guests add it if they want directly to their serving)
1/2 c. chopped green onion.
Add onion/pepper/celery mixture to roux and stirring constantly to reduce slightly. Remove from fire. Begin to add small amounts of water (cup or so at a time until all added, STIR constantly). After all water is added return to fire. Add browned duck, salt, pepper and tabasco sauce (if used) - simmer 3 hours. Add sausage last hour. Season to taste again, add chopped onion tops and file` (if desired) just before serving. I also generally add a stout chicken stock (or base).

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

huntfish

Phil's philosophy is correct. As written, one must start with a good Roux. I'll look up the recipe as was taught to me by a One Room Cajun down south. Either way, fowl or seafood, one turkey won't be enough. We cook it in a 5 gallon pot. And yes, Roux can burn very quickly. If it burns, throw it out and start again.

CAL

Now I have only seen gumbo made once but I was looking mighty close cause I like that kind of cooking.My Cajun friend used the meat to get his oil by browning it in a dutch oven. He removed the meat and added flour to this grease over medium heat and stirred till it was the correct color.When finished with his roux he added the correct amount of boiling water.Said this was very important not to cool the roux.After the boiling water he added the rest of his ingredients and cooked on a low heat till done.Served over hot rice.It was some kind of good!

QuakerBoy

GeauxLSU said:
"Gumbo weather" is thankfully ending but it's good on any cool and especially rainy days. RPaul, you should be set through June huh? :p ;)

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

You've obviously never been in Pittsburgh...we get cool and rain in August ::ke: