opinions on letter in April GON "coyotes must be killed"

jay sullivent

i think it's a little over the top, honesty i think most of it is a load of crap! i know a lot of people hate coyotes, i don't hate them myself, but i would shoot one while deer hunting and would really enjoy hunting for them specifacally, it sounds like a lot of fun. but to say "the reason we are seeing less deer is because of the "eating machine" coyotes.", is not true in my opinion at all. fox hunters brought the coyote into the state? is the coyote not a native species? coyotes "also bring down full grown deer all the time"? the last paragraph of the letter is down right rediculous, we must kill off the coyotes or the deer population will go down to less than 300 like it was in the early 1900's? give me a break!!! why not blame the "deer shortage" on killing too many does like the rest of the people who belive there is a deer shortage (which i don't)?

sweatequity

I agree with you...

but do believe they make a negative impact on the deer population. No were does that impact come close to hunters! I have watched a coyote stalk a deer before but it was a futile effort at best.

My theory is that they hunt only fawns and keep an eye on unhealthy or wounded deer.

Buckbuster

Coyotes are not native to Ga. We started seeing a few around the late 60s or early 70s, now they are plentiful and here to stay. We will never get rid of them. I also read somewhere that the red fox is not native, brought here from England many years ago. Gray fox is a native animal.

gabuckeye

I'm a lot more concerned about what the yotes do to the turkey population. I have killed many yotes that came sneaking in when I'm turkey hunting. I also think the yotes have hurt the rabbit and quail populations.

jay sullivent

it's a drop in the bucket compared to what hunters ,land developers, and timber companies(in reference to quail) have done! native or not, the yotes are part of our wilderness now, heck they gotta eat! hunters can keep the populations in check. i just don't think they to be comepletely eraticated. we've already done it to the wolves ("we" is not refering to hunters, but all people), and they will never return. the yotes have filled their little nich in the eco system.

jay sullivent

but what is your take on the letter, Woody? he's saying if we don't kill all the yotes, there will soon be hardly any deer. why no deer attacks by yotes on trail cams? how do we know the deer in the bellies of your yotes are not roadkill?

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
No --- I don't feel all Yotes should be exterminated. They do fulfill a purpose. -- We couldn't get rid of them completely even if we wanted to. -- Although it's hard explaining that to a man who's just had a couple of Cows or Calves killed by them.:)

As for them doing away with all the Deer? -- Never happen.

Only humans can do that.

bull0ne

Banned
I have 5-6 minutes of footage of a old dog coyote eating oats in a plot.
Two young deer came to feed and i got them all in the frame at one time, the coyote never broke stride eating and barely looked at the deer.
The deer snorted and stomped, finally spooking, the coyote finished eating then left going the other way.

Fast forward two years and a couple miles away, as i packed the truck one night i heard a pack of coyotes run a deer 3 seperate times into a beaver pond, over the course of two hours.
It sounded like a dog hunt, they would jump the deer at the edge of the fields and run in circles then into the water where the race would stop.
I took it to be a pack of young coyotes, with all the yipping going on.

H

HT2

My Opinion...........

If you see 'em......

Kill 'em!!!!!!!!

No matter when you see them............

Kill 'em!!!!!!!! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

GAR

Coyotes...

Coyotes are opportunistic feeders. They are omnivores and flourish in almost any type of surrounding.

Coyotes will decimate your small game population very quickley. Provided the right conditions they will get out of hand. Just like any game animal.

Wondering where the turkey's, rabbits and other small game disappered too? Coyotes got them.

Live in a subdivison surrounded by woods? Got cats and small dogs missing with no trace. Coyotes got them.

As you have probaly fiqured out I hate COYOTES!!!!!!!!!!!

Never seen one take down a full grown healthy deer but they are the devil on fawns. They will also take down a wounded or injured deer that can not defend itself.

Trap them or shoot them is the only viable option. Poison affects way to many other animals.

Might get back into it if I can find property access.

GAR

jay sullivent

got coyotes on my leased property. also got turkeys, quail, lots of bunnies, deer, chipmonks, doves, ect. ect. when did all the turkeys and rabbits disappear? i wasn't aware that that happened! if you walk in the woods and don't see any critters.. maybe they're all hiding!

Joe Moran

The problem with yotes, is that they breed year round, just like dogs. If we don't shoot all that we see, they will get out of control in a hurry.

They're not too easy to kill. Our property is ate up with them, but I have only seen a handfull of them while deer hunting.

They are omnivorous & opportunistic feeders, but they ARE predators. Anyone that thinks that they will not have a negative impact on ALL game species is mistaken.

I'm sure that it's rare that they would ever take down a healthy mature deer, they will gladly gobble up any fawns they can find.

As fast as they reproduce, we can shoot as many as we want, & we will never get rid of them all.

At least they are good for cleaning up our gut piles! :p

H

HT2

Joe........

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Besides.........

I eat deer meat.........

I don't eat yote meat........ :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jay sullivent

i'm gonna shoot everyone i get a chance to shoot. i have yet to see one while hunting. i'd love to try and trap some.i'd like a yote skin to add to my collection! they are some sly little devils.

gadeerwoman

I'm with Woodrow. They have their place. I think coyotes get blamed for a lot of kills that are made by domestic dogs. I believe the domesticated dog that is allowed to run loose kills more fawns and wildlife that coyotes. The coyote may feed on what the dog kills and leaves. Unfortunately free roaming dogs kill for the chase, boredom and enjoyment and not to eat. They will kill a fawn or a calf and be back home by daylight sitting on the doorstep. I've talked to a lot of farmers and cattle owners who have seen the damage done by the neighboring dogs. Had a cousin who had a black lab and a pit mix who used to come home every few days during late spring and summer with blood on their faces from chasing deer on WMA land. Should have been eliminated after the first time it happened but they didn't care. I've got some dogs right now running my property every day. When I catch them they are going to find a new home.

Chuck Martin

I shot two year before last running a yearling doe. Her tounge was out about a foot and she was outta gas, another few minutes and she'da been yote scat. I've shot about a dozen between here and Texas over the years coming into turkey calls also. They'll eat whatever they can catch the easiest at the time. Jay, GON has carried several trailcam pics of yotes toting fawns and somebody on here used to have an avatir of a couple trying to bring down a buck.

Should we kill all we see? I'm of the opinion that if we shoot all we see it will be just a drop in the bucket of whats out of there running around. I love to hunt and call them and do all spring and summer both here and Texas. But yotes are among the smartest animals in the field. Theres an old indain saying that says something to the effect that the coyote will still be here after everything else passes on.

jay sullivent

i have "found a new home" for many dogs trying to get to my rabbits when i used to raise them. they would pull their toes through the hardware cloth that was the bottom of the cage and bite them off. my nieghbors have had a lot of goats and ducklings killed by neighborhood dogs. it is hard to "find them a new home" once they know you're after them, but persistence usually pays off.

gadeerwoman

One morning before daylight I walked up on a bedded doe on some land I leased. She was laying on the ground, foam coming out of her mouth. I thought she had been night shot and walked right up to her. She could barely lift her head. I touched her and she didn't even get up, just shivered. She was burning up her body was so hot. I climbed in my stand about 25 yards away thinking that as soon as it got daylight, I would get down come back and shoot her if she was still in the same shape. Daylight came, I went back and she was gone but you could follow her trail by the foam droplets and the marks she made dragging herself along. No blood anywhere. As I stood there puzzled, I heard the neighboring pack of 6 pet dogs coming. They came right in on her trail looking to finish the job. Once a dog has a taste of killing they make it a habit. They ran deer on that land constantly and the dog owners refused to put the dogs up. I hate shooting a dog and seldom do it but there comes a time when the dog unfortunately pays the price for an irresponsible owner.