.54 Caliber Bullets

SWAMPFOX

I have a TC .54 Renegade cap lock with a 1:28 twist and I am looking for a decent hunting bullet for it. I tried the TC Maxi Hunters for a while but didn't get good expansion so I am not a fan of them since I lost a couple of deer. Any recommendations? Thanks.

R

redneckcamo

mannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

PM me your address and I can send you some 425gr. Minie' bullets to try.
whata pal ....that is better than a sharp stik in the eye...... hey swampfox have you been too A R bunker ...they got some 54 in stock over there....cant remember which ones but might be worth a looksee....

R

redneckcamo

did that.....

Ya could try sabot/44mag pistol bullet combo.....

Should expand better than a solid chunk of lead....
DID THAT in my 50 cal. with hornady .44 210 gr. gold dot hollow point an it blowed out like a quarter almost.....an held together awsome as well......:shoot:

kvistads

I've killed deer with a .45 caliber round ball from pistol and rifle. ANYTHING coming out of a .54 should do really good. The flintlock long rifle I used 60 grains of FFF and only 30 grains in the pistol. Most important thing ever - SHOT PLACEMENT PERIOD! If you put it in the boiler maker, it shouldn't make any difference what you're shooting. These modern sabots used with pistol sized bullets should be plenty if placed in the right spot under 75 yards. I don't usually shoot deer no further than 75 or so yards because I'm usually using a round ball. Many of good soldiers died from being hit out as far as a 1000 yards with adversaries using only 60 grains of black powder and a .58 minie ball. Good luck.

EDITED FOR TYPING AROUND THE CENSOR

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
when I shot a 58 I cast my own and no real expansion noticed or needed:bounce::bounce:--- with the 54 I mainly used plastic sabots and jacketed pistol bullets with good expansion--I lost two deer to round balls in my 54- they dropped in their tracks at the shot but got up and got away before I could reload and no blood trail --- thats when I switched to sabot'ed JHP bullets

SWAMPFOX

Eddy M

Can you provide more info, please, about how you came by your sabots and JHP bullets and also what grain JHP bullets you used? Thanks.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
seems like the bullets were 44 mag got the sabots from a black powder shop in Mississippi years ago-- don't know if you still can find any now

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Cabelas part # xx-21-4555 is Harvester sabots 54 cal. is code 411$6.99 for 50 takes a .452 dia. bullet------ or xx-21-4066 is MMP sabots code 975 for .451 / code 227 for .500 bullets :)

markland

When I had my .54 Renegade, the best performing and accurate load I used was a 425gr Hornady Great Plains bullet with 100grs of Pyrodex. Shot very well at 100yds and did some massive damage to the animal as well. Expansion and penetration were near perfect! Mark