Sapelo Island

I'm going to Sapelo next month on the north end of the island. I was wondering if there was anyone that could give me some advice on a good spot to hunt. I went there several years ago but cant remember where to hunt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I also got drawn for the first sapelo hunt with primitive weapon. I have heard that the deer are small. Is there any good buck down there? Is there any hogs? This will be my first time hunting on one of Ga Islands.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

the deer are small...........don't hold out for a rack scoring over 80......rarely happens..............a mature buck will weigh 100-120 pounds.

leoparddog

When I hunted there a few years back the BIGGEST buck was a 65lb 8 pointer. The smallest ADULT deer taken was about 20-25lbs. There were several hogs killed. Unfortunately, I missed my only shot of the weekend at some moving does.

Oh, and don't try to find the Island on your own unless you are well versed in navagation. As I was told by the ramp op. "Some people get lost". The ferry is the safest bet.

Good luck!

Gaswamp

Let us know how your hunt turns out.

D

dave

leoparddog9 said:
When I hunted there a few years back the BIGGEST buck was a 65lb 8 pointer. The smallest ADULT deer taken was about 20-25lbs. There were several hogs killed. Unfortunately, I missed my only shot of the weekend at some moving does.

Oh, and don't try to find the Island on your own unless you are well versed in navagation. As I was told by the ramp op. "Some people get lost". The ferry is the safest bet.

Good luck!

If you own a GPS, it's easy. Plot and load the route at home before leaving.

Just got back

I just got back from sapelo Island and I have to say that I will never be back. Between me and my dad we saw one hog that weighed 250 lbs and is now at the taxidermist. Other than that it was not good at all. when we left there had been about 10 or 12 deer killed and two hogs both hogs weighing around 250 lbs. the biggest deer was an 8 pointer that may score around 50 inches. the smallest deer weight 13 pounds live weight. How do the people expet to see any deer when they are shooting 13 pound deer. we hunted 80 and 81 and the deer heard there is alomst completely gone from when I was there 5 years ago. Not even any sign of any deer on our spots and that was the complaint from alot of others.

kcausey

Banned
Sapelo

you will not need anything to help you in and out of the woods at sapelo, north or south end

my best sapelo hunt:
72 hunters
68 deer killed
38 hogs killed

6 deer went to the taxidermist

JBowers

BassAngler said:
I just got back from Sapelo Island and I have to say that I will never be back. Between me and my dad we saw one hog that weighed 250 lbs and is now at the taxidermist. Other than that it was not good at all. when we left there had been about 10 or 12 deer killed and two hogs both hogs weighing around 250 lbs. the biggest deer was an 8 pointer that may score around 50 inches. the smallest deer weight 13 pounds live weight. How do the people expet to see any deer when they are shooting 13 pound deer. we hunted 80 and 81 and the deer heard there is alomst completely gone from when I was there 5 years ago. Not even any sign of any deer on our spots and that was the complaint from alot of others.

It's not the size or weight, but the age.

The deer on our Barrier Islands, like Sapelo, are very likely the only true Georgia deer we have left. They are relict populations. In fact, a significant number of the deer stocked around the State during restocking came from Sapelo, Ossabaw, etc. Further in fact, the deer on Sapelo are genetically unique from those on the mainland and other barrier islands.

That habitat also happens to be the poorest in the state. The soil is highly acidic and nutrient poor. Hard and soft mast is the primary food source and it is not dependable. As a result, the deer have adapted by being generally small. Yes, the deer are small. An average fully mature adult buck (4.5+) will weigh (live weight) on average around 110 and have about a 13 inch 8 point rack that will score below 100. The average adult doe will weigh (live weight) less than 100, around 75-80. However, they are very healthy and have high reproductive rates (equal to or exceeding that on the mainland).

I am sorry you had such an unenjoyable, unsuccessful, and disappointing hunt with your father and other hunters. The population sways up and down a little more frequently and to a greater degree than on the mainland, but it has absolutely nothing to do with some people shooting "small" deer.

gabowman

The fella that shot that 13 lber would have a hard time riding back home in my car. That's simply rediculous. If he's that hungry all he would have to do is ask and I'd had buy him a quarter pounder. :mad:

GB