Ever dream of going to Alaska?

dgr416

I grew up in Georgia and moved to Alaska 10 years ago.I wish I had gone when I was 25 but I finally made it at 35.I guess this is the best place to post this.I am wanting to trade room and board in Alaska for help on my house.I need sheetrock hangers,plumbers,roofers,deck builders ,concrete and just general helpers or professionals.I usually work on my house from June till it snows or late Sept.The best time to come fishing is June till mid august and hunting from mid aug till mid sept.I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing this.Its not a weekend or 4 day trip.It takes a day or so to get over the 4 hour time difference and long flight thats at least 9 hours.I wish I would of had this chance when I wanted to go so bad when I was 25.Alaska is not what you think its a million times better.Email me at muskox1@excite.com if your interested thanks

Win270Brown

That would be amazing! (I can't do it) BUT I have always wanted to go to Alaska and hopefully will be able to someday! Good luck on your quest for help.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I went for 6 months when I was 20, drove there in April when the Alaska Highway was under construction and barely more than a dirt/gravel road, drove back in October and it was already snowing in Canada.. and it was without a doubt the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen... And I think it would be the adventure of a lifetime too, if you haven't been you need to go!

Lthomas

Been quite a few times. A very good friend of mine lives in Wasilla. I stay with him..

Phillip Thurmond

I've been twice and loved every second of it! I wish I were young and not married and I would take you up on your offer! Good luck finding someone

dgr416

Ever Dream of going to Alaska.

The most suprising thing about Alaska is they are way more redneck than most Southerners.Where else do you get on a waiting list for roadkill moose?I live in a small farm town of about 5,000 that is one of the nicest places to live I have ever seen.The Alaska hwy is now paved but always under construction.I drove 4 years ago from Georgia to Nevada to Alaska and back to Ga to see as much as I could see.BC Canada is awesome.Alaska is the wildest place left in the United States .There are only 1200 miles of hwy for a state 10 times bigger than Georgia.Its 450 miles south and 100 miles north to a red light from where I live.The bird hunting is second to none.There are Ruff Grouse which is like old time quail hunting.Sharptail grouse which is like hunting out west and spruce grouse.The limit is 15 a day 5 of which can be sharptails.The goose hunting is awesome 1/3 of the pafic flyway comes to the farm land where I live.I am beside a 3500 acre pasture with mountains surounding three sides around rolling farm land.There are more moose where I live than anywhere in North America.You will be lucky to see a grizzley but if you do you will never forget it.The fishing is second to none.I usually go to Valdez twice a year for pink and silver salmon.I have caught and released 150 pinks in a day and 30 silvers.Its an awesome place I never regret moving there.I didnt want to hang around Ga till it was all paved and atlantafied.Its also nice to go to a gas station and pay someone that speaks good english and was born here.The traffic is nill and none mostly peace and quite except for the fish on your line,birds in the air or moose rutting in the FALL.

dgr416

I have been in construction for 35 years on and off.The last thing I wanted to do in Alaska was sheetrock but I built a bed and breakast my first winter inside of course.Its like going back in time with no murders,no traffic and lots of uncrowed places to hunt and fish.I guess gas is getting to some it was $3.27 last year and I was the only one hunting my favorite grouse place.If you eat moose ,salmon and other wild stuff and burn firewood its not very much to live there .I only eat wild meat and bacon is the only store bought meat I eat.You can fill a 25 cubic ft freezer fast with moose and salmon.I think the meat off of 1 moose equals 20 big bucks.Its way better than deer more like fine marbled beef.The copper River red salmon is the finerst fish in the world.I was suprised how many Southernerns live there.Most live in Fairbanks and smaller towns.Yes we have homedepot,lowes,sportsmans ware house that way better than bass pro shop and many other chain stores in Fairbanks.The summer weather is usually 70-80 no humidity .There are 82 days of all daylight in the summer from may till mid aug.The fall is mid Aug till late Sept.Its come along further and further out each year.Moose season is only two weeks from Sept 1-15 but caribo is open in places 6 months to all year long.Its a place you never forget and dont want to leave.

hizzoner51

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
This is killing me!!!!!!
Two grandkids under 2 are what's keeping me here!!
Otherwise...........::gone:
All the luck to ya!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m scared that if I go up there to visit, I won`t ever come back to my beloved South, and I don`t know if I could live without bein` able to hunt wild turkeys.

StriperAddict

I know for SURE me and my wife would never come back from Alaska. My area of GA is too crowded after 10 years. We'd love that kind of country. :flag:

Nitro

Banned
Alaska is the only state I haven't been to. That is going to change soon.

Reading your thread here settled it.

Lostoutlaw

I know for SURE me and my wife would never come back from Alaska. My area of GA is too crowded after 10 years. We'd love that kind of country. :flag:

Not my wife :rofl: heck i showed her some pictures when I drove the pipeline trail and she dang near fainted never and I mean never has she seen that much Snow, But now I made some Good money on that line.....:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

dgr416

Guess what someone transplanted racoons,wild turkeys and crawdads in Alaska and I aint kidding Every once in a while wild hogs pop upYou never know what you will see in Alaska.With the warm up deer and Elk are started to get close to Alaska from BC Canada..Its like the South use to be 60 years ago where I live.Its like Mayberry RFD.The people are very nice and helpful.I stayed 10 weeks on my first trip then turned around and went back a month later to see what Winter was like.I then looked all over Alaska for the best place to live then I bought a piece of land with a cabin on it.I tore down the cabin and started building my house.It will really grow on you fast.No traffic,no murders or pollution.

Allen Waters

i wanna go:cry:, how strick are their child labor laws? i have 4 hard workers excluding the wife. they are 6,8,10, and 15:bounce:.

P

potsticker

My wife are about to have our 35th wedding hitching. I want to fly to Alaska, get on the train to baniff, and never come back!

dgr416

I have started out kids hunting up their from the age of 9.I was afraid to take them earlier that something might eat them.I was so proud when the first kids I ever took hunting shot his first moose by himself at 16 .He crossed a river to do it by wading.It took 6 people 8 hours to get it back across.I told him always lure it to your side next time.I have only had teenaged helpers on my house.I taught kids how to work hard and they turned out awesome.They said life was boring till I showed them Alaska was a very awesome place to live.Kids are our future if hunting and fishing is to survive.Only thing about kids they grow up and move away.Its so important to teach kids everything you know the right things.I taught kids how to do things on my house they new thought they could do.I started in construction at 10 part time with my dad and joined the carpenders union at 14.I am building the first all metal stud house in alaska and its very different to what they are use to.I think every person who ever wants to go to Alaska should be able to do so.I started wanting to go at 5 thirty years later my dream came true with the help of a friend in Alaska.

DeltaHalo

I have worked on and off on location at 3 different military bases during the past 4 to 5 years there, and I can tell you that I didn't want to come back. BUT, the wife and kids wouldn't appreciate that too much. I tried to get them to go, but they said NO:cry:. A very close friend of mine lives in North Pole, and I have a few people that I have met and stayed in touch with around Fairbanks. It is a totally different way of life for most, but one that I enjoy. I was driving out the hwy from Nenana toward Clear/Anderson and topped a hill running about 90 and two large moose were just standing in the middle of the road:eek: Needless to say, I thought that was just awesome. My friend in North Pole has a sister that works in Talkeetna as a fishing guide, and they have some amazing catches of monster kings. I think about Alaska alot since my time there, and can't wait to get back. Good skilled labor gets payed well, the people are amazing, and anybody with a love for the outdoors would just be awestruck with everything there is to see and do. I have grown up in Cobb county around Kennesaw since the seventies and this place makes me crazy now. I can't stand the congestion, traffic, etc that surrounds us now. Alaska is where my heart is for sure. Maybe some of us Woody's guys should plan a trip, I think I can help out on some of the small details with my friend up there. What do you guys think?
Godspeed my friend, You truly live in the last American Frontier that there is left.-:flag:

dgr416

I live about 80 miles from North Pole Alaska.Its a trip you will never forget.I probally could handle two people at a time.There is some of the best grayling fishing in world about 2 miles from me.I caught 2 over 20" that were fat as butter balls.The silvers come in late September and its the most awesome fishing ever.I caught 105 from 8 to 18 pounds in 5 days off the bank.You can cast across the creek.I go goose hunting by setting the shotgun against a tree in the yard and getting some when I need them during the season in September.I usually have a freezer full of moose and salmon to eat.The most awesome fishing besides Valdez is during breakup which is early may.You can catch hudge rainbows ,artic char and silver salmon in the lake.Its fun to fish at midnight.The sun goes down for 2 hours but its still daylight.I take kids fishing after working on the house.Most of the gravel pits are stocked with rainbows and artic char.I was glad to take the plunge into Alaska its well worth it.