I saw something different today.

Doug B.

As I was driving up the road today, I saw a small hawk like bird. The thing that was different is that it was carrying a male cardinal. The cardinal appeared dead, so I am guessing that the small hawk looking bird caught and killed it. I wished I would have had my camera, but I didn't. The first thing I thought of was, I will ask everyone at Woodies what they think it was. So, does anyone know? It was only about two, or at the most three time bigger than the cardinal. Was it some kind of small hawk?:huh:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sounds like you`re describin` a Coopers Hawk. Or possibly a Sharpshinned Hawk.

R

redneckcamo

maybe a -Kestral .....just my opinion based on the info

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
or maybe even a kestrel or merlin. they are just a little larger than a cardinal.

Doug B.

Sounds like you`re describin` a Coopers Hawk. Or possibly a Sharpshinned Hawk.

I was hoping Nic would answer this question.

I try to learn most plants and animals that i may see here in the north Georgia mountains, but I have never seen this one. I may have just not paid attention. Anyhow, it wasn't anything spectacular looking, just kinda plain brown looking.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Polecat, but let`s wait for Rip 18 to weigh in. He`s forgot more about birds than I`ll ever be able to learn.

Two-Dogs

I'd bet on a Sharpshinned, I have one in my area, keeps the chipmonks nervous/under control. He/she seems to stay fairly close to the ground, and is spooky, allways moving.

Have seen one patroling the outdoor section of the garden dept. at Lowes in Woodstock several times...

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I once watched what I think was a kestrel flying with a sparrow in it's clutches, and what I suppose was the mate of the sparrow flying in close pursuit.

Doug B.

After seeing what everyone here thinks it could be, I looked up all the options and it kinda looked like a sharpshinned hawk. Thanks for the help guys!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Since there is insufficient description to make a positive ID, I too would suspect that it was a Cooper's Hawk.

This bird throughout GA is known as "Blue Darter". He was given this handle by virtue of his ability to fly at full speed through undergrowth and scrub without ever rustling a feather. The "blue" derives from the fact that his back is a blue-gray solid color.

As with the Sharp Shinned, the blue darter has learned to lean heavily upon bird feeders for a quick meal. Once he homes in on a bird, that is the end of the line.

Cooper's Hawk is the number one enemy of the Bobwhite Quail. In earlier times when farm families kept free ranging chickens this bird would prey upon young chicks and up to half grown chickens. Once they developed a taste for chicken, they would revisit almost daily until they cleaned up all of the small chickens. My Dad always kept a game rooster with the flock since he could be relied upon to fly up and challenge the hawk, often diverting the attack.

Doug B.

The bird looked to be about this size.
I didn't get to see it long enough to get a good description.

Attachments

• shshaw[1] (580 x 381).jpg
    shshaw[1] (580 x 381).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,204
P

potsticker

sounds like a banded male cardinal killer, common in the south!

Lostoutlaw

Falcon what it sounds like to me...
Just my 02 worth

rip18

Yep, sounds like a Cooper's hawk or a sharp-shinned hawk. Wish you could have gotten a picture; that would have been cool.

At least you've got the image in your mind.

Fishin & Hunting

I watched a coopers hawk attack and capture a flicker while deer hunting a couple of years ago, only to have a large owl come and steal it from him. Was very interesting.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
A pic of that would have been great! Maybe next time.

Doug B.

Yep, sounds like a Cooper's hawk or a sharp-shinned hawk. Wish you could have gotten a picture; that would have been cool.

At least you've got the image in your mind.

I would have loved to have a picture of it, didn't have a camera with me, and also it happened quickly. The image in my mind .... the hawk was a dull grayish brown, and the lifeless cardinal was a bright crimson red dangling from the hawks talons...