Dog Fennel, weeds grass

Whitetailer

Can I apply a herbacide to kill vegatation prior to tilling my plots? I ask this question for next season. When I get up to disk my plots in late Aug or Sept, the weeds and grass and fennels are so thick my ATV disk can not turn the soil and just rides on the vegatation. My landlord says he sprays his plots a week before tilling to kill the Bremuda grass. If I get a sprayer for my 4 wheeler and apply roundup or some similar product? Will it kill the grass so I can get my disc to the dirt???

I even put 150# of bagged lime on the tray on the disk for weight... THe disk cuts well if no grass etc.

Whitetailer

Ga-Spur

You may need to burn the plot after you kill the weeds after they dry out. Just cut around the perimeter.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like to spray, bush hog a week or so later. Then about a month harrow. I have seen the times when then a harrow would not cut it under. I then take the all purpose plow and go over it and pull the heavy stuff out. I would prefer to cut it in but sometimes no way. The other altenative is burning as was mentioned, but we are in a no burn county so that is out of the question.

Whitetailer

Well, I can get a sprayer to instrall on my ATV, but I cannot burn and I can not mow or bush hog it cause I do not have a mower or bush hog. What do I spray with and what dose?

Whitetailer

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dog Fennel, Weeds, Grass

Not to fault recommendations already offered, but I will add one wrinkle to your treatment which will render the herbicide treatment more effective.

If possible, you would benefit from bush hogging your plots in midsummer as the first treatment. This will reduce the weeds and grass to a common (and low) height as it begins to rebound in growth. If dog fennel is not mowed, it will be head high and most other weeds and grasses at perhaps knee high. Such a condition makes it difficult to get a thorough treatment from your spray.

As weeds and grasses begin to rebound, you should have a rank and vigorous state of growth. Folar active herbicides (Round-up) are by nature more effective when applied during periods of vigorous growth. Reason for this being that the active ingredient is more efficiently translated to the root system where it does it work of killing.

So the idea of mowing first will enable one to attain better coverage of the spray, and to get more bang for the buck by getting a better and faster kill.

A suggested timetable would have one mowing in mid August, spraying some three weeks later, then ten days later you can proceed with soil preparation.

Vernon

gadeerwoman

A strong mixture of RoundUp Pro should get everything. I sprayed a couple spots in a swampy bottom back in the first of April and it hasn't had a green shoot come back yet. And we're talking swamp reeds and that thick tough swamp grass. Just used a hand sprayer tank. Seeded it this weekend after hitting it with a weed eater.