Pattern with #6 Hevi 13

BPR

I am shooting a Benelli Nova with Jellyhead choke. I was shooting 3.5" #6 hevi 13 loads. These shells were 1 3/4 ounce lead.

I was using the Remington target that is available online. It has an image of a turkey head inside of a 10" circle and a 3" circle inside of that.

I shot three times at 40 yards and averaged 100 pellets in a 10" circle. 37 in the turkey silhouette, and 18 in the 3 inch circle. I realize that the more accurate target would have had the spinal column and brain, but this works just fine and give you a pretty good idea.

I was happy with it. See any problems with it?

I'm wondering about trying the same load in a 3.5" that have 2 1/4 ounce lead. Has anyone patterned these? If so did they pattern similar to the 1 3/4 ounce loads?

MKW

I'm not trying to be ugly, but there is NO WAY that I wold be shooting a 3.5" gun that would only average 100 hits in a 10" circle at 40yrds. I would definately try some different loads. Win lead loads should do better than 100. Did you shoot a big piece of paper to be sure you could see the best part of the pattern?? A lot of guns do not shoot to point of aim.

Mike

J.W.

Try a Briley choke in that Benelli. I tried the Jelly head first. I switched to the Briley choke and will probably hunt turkeys with that set up for the rest of my life.

Benelli Nova pump
3 1/2" #6 Hevishot.

BPR

I'm not trying to be ugly, but there is NO WAY that I wold be shooting a 3.5" gun that would only average 100 hits in a 10" circle at 40yrds. I would definately try some different loads. Win lead loads should do better than 100. Did you shoot a big piece of paper to be sure you could see the best part of the pattern?? A lot of guns do not shoot to point of aim.

Mike

Based on the fact that there were only 1 3/4 ounce in those shells, there should have been around 390 pellets in that shell. The problem is that the 3 inch shell has 1 5/8, so there is only a 28 pellet increase (based on an average of 220 # 6 pellets in one ounce of shot).

So do you think that 100 is a decent pattern for a 3 inch shell? The length of the shell doesn't matter if the lead ounce doesn't increase.

BPR

Try a Briley choke in that Benelli. I tried the Jelly head first. I switched to the Briley choke and will probably hunt turkeys with that set up for the rest of my life.

Benelli Nova pump
3 1/2" #6 Hevishot.

Are you shooting the 1 3/4 ounce? Thanks for the advice.

fowl play

100 pellets in a 10" circle will kill a turkey, but I gurantee you that you can do better! just depends on how dense you want your pattern to be, personally shooting a 3.5 with that kind of pattern IMHO is not that good:huh:

MKW

From a 3.5" shell...NO 100 at 40 would not be acceptable to me. I'm not downing your set-up, I'm just saying that you can do alot better. In fact, 100 at 40 is not acceptable to me from a 20ga. That JellyHead and a 3" Hevi 13 with 2oz of #6s should shoot a really nice pattern. Yeah, 100 at 40 might kill a turkey, but I would keep looking for a better combo.

Mike

BPR

From a 3.5" shell...NO 100 at 40 would not be acceptable to me. I'm not downing your set-up, I'm just saying that you can do alot better. In fact, 100 at 40 is not acceptable to me from a 20ga. That JellyHead and a 3" Hevi 13 with 2oz of #6s should shoot a really nice pattern. Yeah, 100 at 40 might kill a turkey, but I would keep looking for a better combo.

Mike

I'm asking for advice, so I appreciate the help.

I didn't realize that there was a 2 ounce shell in 3". I dont see any reason to put up with that abuse from the 3.5 if I'm shooting less shot. It appears that Cabelas has a much larger selection than Bass Pro had in Duluth.

Any other suggestions where I can get Hevishot from?

MKW

Mid South Shooters Supply generally has a booth at the NWTF Convention and ahve a lot of Hevi 13. I expect this year will no different.

Mike

BPR

Yeah I didnt even think about that. I will be down there Saturday, so I will just plan on getting some there. Appreciate the help.

J.W.

Are you shooting the 1 3/4 ounce? Thanks for the advice.

I shoot Remington Hevi-shot 3 1/2" #6, 1 3/4 oz , with a Briley choke bought at Bass Pro Shops. I don't have any specifics on the pattern since I patterned it 5 years ago. I can say however, that I have shot 9 birds with it, anywhere from 10 steps to 43 yards and have been very pleased with the results.

hawglips

Banned
So do you think that 100 is a decent pattern for a 3 inch shell? The length of the shell doesn't matter if the lead ounce doesn't increase.

A good pattern would be around double that in a 10" circle, IMO.

rex upshaw

I I can say however, that I have shot 9 birds with it, anywhere from 10 steps to 43 yards and have been very pleased with the results.

that's all that matters....dead birds. turkey hunting loads/chokes is becoming very similar to bowhunting...and it's not a bad thing. what i mean, is that what people were shooting 10+ years ago were killing turkeys and deer, but we are always looking for the latest and the greatest. the same can now be said about turkey hunting. new loads and chokes are now able to patter better further down range, just as the new bow's are faster and more quiet. will a slower bow get the job done? it certainly will, just as the older turkey set ups will kill birds.

i think that being comfortable with your set up is all that matters. if you want to shoot a bird that is 50 yds away, then you might want to look at shooting some of the more expensive load and choke combo's, but for most practical turkey hunting, what has been used in the past is sufficient.

trkyhntr70

The hevi 13 3.5 13/4 load doesnt have a good reputation, Get the 3" 2.oz #6 or the 3.5" 2.25 .oz #6s.. Many are getting great patterns with these loads.

BPR

A good pattern would be around double that in a 10" circle, IMO.

So you expect more than half your pellets to be inside of a 10" circle at 40 yards? There are approximately 390 pellets in that load.

I dont really expect or want more than 50% of my pellets in a 10" circle. That doesn't leave much room for error if I am slightly off or the turkey moves his head as I go to shoot. I dont have and dont plan to shoot a red dot. Its a shotgun, not a rifle. JMO

I am going to try the 3" 2oz loads. I'm not willing to shoot a 3.5 with less lead. I didnt realize that Bass Pro shop had such a limited selection of hevi 13.

BPR

The hevi 13 3.5 13/4 load doesnt have a good reputation, Get the 3" 2.oz #6 or the 3.5" 2.25 .oz #6s.. Many are getting great patterns with these loads.

Thanks. I am going to look for both of these at the NWTF this weekend, since Bass Pro doesn't have any.