diaphram reeds sticking together

bnew17

what do you guys do to keep your reeds from sticking together on your calls. im having problems with one of my quaker boys. i rinse it off and put it in the fridge after i use it.

you need to get a flat tooth pic, not the round double ended tooth pics, and break it into sections about 3/4" and space them between the reeds....ask Cane_Creek about that one

Kevin Farr

If, no when, they stick together, I simply put mine in my mouth for a few minutes. This will get them moist and warmed-up and then I can easily seperate them. I have a habit of changing mouth calls while I'm hunting and not taking time to seperate the reeds when I'm doing this. If I'm out for a long time, some will inevitably stick together.

turkkillr

Two calls that I make I specify NOT to seperate the reeds....If you do you will lose sound and longevity of the caller...Ask anyone who has talked to me over the phone...I get the call out , pop a few hard clucks on it or just have it in my mouth for a few mins while we talk and then proceed to run a series of yelps , clucks , cutts , etc....I have been known to use toothpicks to seperate a heavier reeded call....They seem to really really stick.....But even then I rarely use them now....Nothing worse than fooling with toothpicks during or after a hunt....ANY thin reeded call will quickly seperate within mins. of using......

C

Cane_Creek

I like to use a flat toothpick. Do not just yank the toothpick out when you are going to use the call. Place the call in the side of your mouth for a minute or so to get moisture between the reeds then work the toothpick out.

lostpoult_bill.jpg

turkkillr

Ive run "ghost cuts" since their invention in the mid 90's....You will lose sound by keeping that top reed seperated...Just my 2 cents....

Gadget

Two calls that I make I specify NOT to seperate the reeds....If you do you will lose sound and longevity of the caller...Ask anyone who has talked to me over the phone...I get the call out , pop a few hard clucks on it or just have it in my mouth for a few mins while we talk and then proceed to run a series of yelps , clucks , cutts , etc....I have been known to use toothpicks to seperate a heavier reeded call....They seem to really really stick.....But even then I rarely use them now....Nothing worse than fooling with toothpicks during or after a hunt....ANY thin reeded call will quickly seperate within mins. of using......

Yeah I agree, don't have time to mess with tooth picks when you switch calls like I do while hunting and they will mess up your call. I soak mine for a few minutes in warm water with a little mouthwash mixed in before I go out in the morning and have no problem.

C

Cane_Creek

Interesting. I've never noticed a loss of sound in a call due to a flat toothpick.

turkkillr

Interesting. I've never noticed a loss of sound in a call due to a flat toothpick.

You are free to ask 300mag on here what a call sounds like right from the fridge...and I believe tbgator....I ran them straight outta the box so to speak.....toothpicks are a waste of time on thin reeded calls for hunting purposes....Heres another question....Do you know the history of that cut or anything?

Randy

I use flat toothpicks also. I am not a call designer I just run them but it seems if a call was designed for the reeds to be stuck together they would stick them together from the factory?

I don't find it hard to "fool" with the toothpicks. When I get out of the truck I remove the toothpicks from three calls that I use. I put these three calls in my mouth. When I am finished with the hunt I take them out and put the toothpicks back in. I am not putting them in and out all day long.

Limb Hanger

I keep the top reed on any call (ghost cuts) seperated from the bottom ones. Now on alot (most)of calls I leave the bottom reeds stuck.

On some ghost cuts (my Kee-Kee calls) sometimes I only break the corners free. This seems to let them whistle alittle better but to get a really great yelp I like to have the top reed seperated.

This weekend notice how many of the callers are in the corners picking at calls with toothpicks. Great for a contest but I'm not going to do it in the woods............One of the BEST yelpers I know with a ghost cut is Sadler McGraw. Sadlers calls are always seperated.

A call sounds the best before it is saturated so to get the most premium sound out of a call it basically needs to be dry and the reeds the way you want them, when your ready to call....seperated or not......sorry to get long winded

Last edited:
C

Cane_Creek

You are free to ask 300mag on here what a call sounds like right from the fridge...and I believe tbgator....I ran them straight outta the box so to speak.....toothpicks are a waste of time on thin reeded calls for hunting purposes....Heres another question....Do you know the history of that cut or anything?

turkkillr I'm getting tired of your arrogant, know it all, nature and do not wish to have any future correspondence with you.

Gadget

I keep the top reed on any call (ghost cuts) seperated from the bottom ones. Know on alot (most)of calls I leave the bottom reeds stuck.

On some ghost cuts (my Kee-Kee calls) sometimes I only break the corners free. This seems to let them whistle alittle better but to get a really great yelp I like to have the top reed seperated.

This weekend notice how many of the callers are in the corners picking at calls with toothpicks. Great for a contest but I'm not going to do it in the woods............One of the BEST yelpers I know with a ghost cut is Sadler McGraw. Sadlers calls are always seperated.

A call sounds the best before it is saturated so to get the most premium sound out of a call it basically needs to be dry and the reeds the way you want them, when your ready to call....seperated or not......sorry to get long winded

Good Info Jason. I knew some guys like dry calls, more crisp and sharp, but never heard that some like em stuck together too. Interesting.

After soaking mine you can definitely tell it dulls them down a little, but eventually the same thing happens when you run the call in your mouth. When I notice it, I will try to suck all the moisture from between the reeds, which helps some, but doesn't bring it back to the sound of a dry call.

hawglips

Banned
I don't do anything to them.

I just let them soak in my mouth a few minutes next time I use them.

Limb Hanger

Gadget....Latex is porus and holds moisture. I never walk around all day with a call stuck in my jaw. Stick the call in a ventalated case b/w setups. But when you pull it out the first sound or two will have the top reed stuck but after it breaks loose your ready to go. My first call on any setup is a purr....to get the reeds seperated.

DaddyPaul

Cane Creek ,you and turkkllr play nice!

I too, only worry about the top reed most of the time. I call so bad though it doesn't really matter much?

turkkillr

Cane Creek ,you and turkkllr play nice!

I too, only worry about the top reed most of the time. I call so bad though it doesn't really matter much?

Im trying....:bounce::bounce:...I just find it odd that someone who is barely building calls seems so factual and full of knowledge..Notice back in my post where I said " I have been known to seperate "heavier" calls"...Thin reeded calls do not need to be seperated...A longer "life" during a hunt will take place for the calls...If the top reed is mechanically seperated prior it will allow the reeds to become wet and soggy faster...Funny how many comp. callers Ive seen over the yrs run to the truck to dry out their calls because they became wet and soggy..

Limb Hanger

turkkillr....One think you need to put in your post is...."In my Opinion" What you are saying is just that an opinion. In my opinion to get the best sound even on Polypro calls the top reed needs to be seperated. But what is odd is just about everyone that is calling this weekend will be seperating there top reeds......

I've blow the same yelper for three years in contest b/w contest there is a flat tooth pick b/w reeds. I promise this call has not lost anything!

Latest posts