Random Gems of Wisdom

Carp

These words are from an old Gentleman that started hunting turkeys in the 30's. His name is Gene Denton. It was in an old issue of Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine and I was impressed enough to pass them on.

"Advice from an old turkey hunter is kind of like toilet paper.You keep what you want and throw the rest away."

"If you're unhappy with the way you're set up on a gobbler, you will likely be unhappy wih the results."

"We didn't call turkeys "trophies" or "boss gobblers". They were old gobblers and young gobblers, but they were all "good 'uns. My definition of a good turkey is, if you get him where you can put your hand around his neck, he's a "good'un."

Many hunters, print media, and wildlife organizations use the word "harvest" instead of "kill," I believe this practice is somewhat dishonest. When you shoulder your gun and go afield, your primary goal is to kill. Since the beginning of time, the object of the hunt is to kill. I apologize to no one for my hunting. It is a very important part of my heritage. I will never deny my heritage to be politically correct."

I like the way this man thinks.

wack em

Very nice!

Nothing like gettin your hands around his neck!

hawglips

Banned
"We didn't call turkeys "trophies" or "boss gobblers". They were old gobblers and young gobblers, but they were all "good 'uns. My definition of a good turkey is, if you get him where you can put your hand around his neck, he's a "good'un."

I think the deer hunting and big game trophy mentality has seeped into turkey hunting.

Carp

I think the deer hunting and big game trophy mentality has seeped into turkey hunting.

I think what you're thinking is right and I can't say it hasn't affected me in some ways. I like a long beard and spurs just as much as the next person. Back in those days turkeys were far and few between and you didn't pass up many when you got an opportunity. We are really blessed with lots of turkeys now.

sniper13

:huh:
Think about this. Which is "easier" to kill, a button buck: or a Jake?
Personally, I think the jake would be more of a "trophy", and a heck of a lot harder to take.
:shoot:

Gadget

These words are from an old Gentleman that started hunting turkeys in the 30's. His name is Gene Denton. It was in an old issue of Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine and I was impressed enough to pass them on.

"Advice from an old turkey hunter is kind of like toilet paper.You keep what you want and throw the rest away."

"If you're unhappy with the way you're set up on a gobbler, you will likely be unhappy wih the results."

Many hunters, print media, and wildlife organizations use the word "harvest" instead of "kill," I believe this practice is somewhat dishonest. When you shoulder your gun and go afield, your primary goal is to kill. Since the beginning of time, the object of the hunt is to kill. I apologize to no one for my hunting. It is a very important part of my heritage. I will never deny my heritage to be politically correct."

I like the way this man thinks.

David, didn't Gene write a book?

Gadget

You may be thinking of Gene Nunnery. I've got both of his books. They're good reads. The Old Pro Turkey Hunter and I Will Lift Up My Eyes Unto the Hills.

Yes, your right, was thinking of Nunnery.