clarifier ????

alligood729

anybody use one? advantages?

Whas up Paul!! I use a verifier in my peep, only because my really up close vision needs a little help. If I change sights on my bow and go to a magnified scope, I'll change to a clarifier. They are supposed help make things clearer with a mag. lens. The verifier works great for me with just pins, it does make the target a little fuzzy at 30plus yards, but not so that I can't shoot. Without the verifier, my pins are blurry, with it, they are as clear as a bell!!! Don't think that is quite what you were looking for, but just my .02. Probably not worth too much more than that anyway!!:bounce::bounce:

Silver Mallard

Advantages to them are:
1. Clears up sight picture. Really enhances target detail.
2. Can also magnify approx. 1x in addition to your scope power.

disadvantages are:
1. when it rains, they get gunked up with water and you cannot see through them. Lenses fog up.(this is mainly for field and 3d competitors)
2. They can also get clogged with dirt and debris. There is glass in there and they will develope scratches. Difficult to clean once it is contaminated.
(again this is mainly for field and 3d competitors)
3. The glass inside can also crack and break. (I have never heard of this happening, however it is possible if a bow is dropped or some other misfortunate event occurs.)
4. Movement in your scope will become more apparent the clearer the picture gets. This could lead to some forms of target panic.

For indoor shooting I say use one if you find one that really clears up the target. For 3d i say stay away from them and use the smallest open apeture that you can comfortably fit the scope into at full draw. (If it get water or debris in it just put your kisser on it and blow)
Hope I didn't turn you off to them completely. i feel they do have a place. A lot of shooters use them with no trouble.
Mine have all developed scratches due to one reason or another, that is why I no longer use them on my bows. Feel free to pm me with any more questions.
Dave

Brian from GA

A couple years ago it seems everybody was going to a clarifier. Now when I interview the pro winners at the ASA & IBO shoots most shoot no clarifier and most shoot no lens. If they do shoot a lens they shoot a 2 or 3 power. There are always exceptions... Tom Crowe for example shoots a 6X lens and a 2X clairifier, but he also shoots 81 pounds and a 535 gr arrow for 3D. Let's just say he is different.

When I shot the clairifier I got a lot of lefts and rights. I finally determined that it was becuase the lens in the clairifer has to come back to the exact same angle every shot. Think of it as a rifle scope. The front lens is square to the target. If the rear lens is tilted to the left one time and to the right one time then the scope will hit a different spot everytime. Of course this can't really happen with a rifle scope but with string movement it can. My competition philosiphy is simple is better. The clarifier adds in tons of things that COULD go wrong. Not that they neccasarily will but I don't want to take that chance.

Brian

Silver Mallard

When I shot the clairifier I got a lot of lefts and rights. I finally determined that it was becuase the lens in the clairifer has to come back to the exact same angle every shot. Think of it as a rifle scope. The front lens is square to the target. If the rear lens is tilted to the left one time and to the right one time then the scope will hit a different spot everytime. Of course this can't really happen with a rifle scope but with string movement it can.
Brian

Excellent point Brian! That is something I really didn't think of. I imagine a lot of folks who are using these things aren't really aware that the lens in the peep, not squaring up with the rest of their shooting system, is the cause of an immense amount of frustration in one's level of accuracy.