Win xtended vs rem hevi

blong

I took my berretta 12 ga with jellyhead out yesterday for a little test run. I've always hunted turkey with my 870 and compnchoke, so this was new to me. I bought some 6" circle stick on circle targets and stuck them on leftover politician signs. I set up the targets at 42 true yards and here are the results.
Rem hevi shot #4 1 7/8= 3 pellets in 6" circle
Rem hevi shot #6 1 5/8= 10 pellets in 6" circle
Win xtend #6 1 3/4 = 27 pellets in 6" circle

I'm pretty mpressed with the xtended range.

ps DON'T SHOOT WITH ONE HAND OFF THE HOOD OF A TRUCK LIKE YOUR SIGHTING IN A DEER RIFLE. BAAAD IDEA. It rattled my teeth. The next two shots were with 2 hands.:crazy:

Gadget

I took my berretta 12 ga with jellyhead out yesterday for a little test run. I've always hunted turkey with my 870 and compnchoke, so this was new to me. I bought some 6" circle stick on circle targets and stuck them on leftover politician signs. I set up the targets at 42 true yards and here are the results.
Rem hevi shot #4 1 7/8= 3 pellets in 6" circle
Rem hevi shot #6 1 5/8= 10 pellets in 6" circle
Win xtend #6 1 3/4 = 27 pellets in 6" circle

I'm pretty mpressed with the xtended range.

ps DON'T SHOOT WITH ONE HAND OFF THE HOOD OF A TRUCK LIKE YOUR SIGHTING IN A DEER RIFLE. BAAAD IDEA. It rattled my teeth. The next two shots were with 2 hands.:crazy:

Only problem is how could you make an honest comparison when you were shooting only 6 inch targets and have no idea where the center of the pattern really is?? Or did you use a new politician sign for each shot? If they were at least 2ft x 2 ft then maybe you could tell.

Most people shoot a 3 to 4 ft piece of contruction paper, then after the shot locate the center of the pattern and draw your circles. 10" circle is the standard

Public Land Prowler

I agree with gadget that the way he does it is most popular..I like to use a 30" circle to determine my patterns center.

However all 3 of your test patterns are the same size and distance so it has me interested.I wonder how #4 xtended would have compared to the #4 hevi being that the #6 WIn HD was almost 3 times better than the #6 hevi?

J.W.

The Hevishot will not pattern well at all with the Jellyhead choke.
It is too tightly constricted and has an adverse effect on the pattern.

lock on

Im totally against hevishot! I had one last year that when I shot all the pellets rolled down the barrel like a cartoon! I contacted remington and they sent me a new box of shells but not the turkey that took me two weeks to get to come in! He is the one of those that has a nickname

bassfan

Re hevishot

I was with lock on when this happened and saw it first hand(talk about being sick). We 've got a score to settle with that bird. I'm ready to hit the woods also.

Huntinfool

So I've been a Hevi user for several years now. Never even patterned the Win xtended. But I've been doing a lot of reading and it looks like (on paper) it's a more powerful shell. 2 oz of shot, 200 fps faster (in a 3.5in shell) seems like a better shell right?

So what am I missing other than a headache and a broken nose from shooting a shell like that? Is Hevi more popular just because it's Hevi-Shot and nobody ever questions it? I know Nitros would usually be the even better choice. But after hearing the cust service issues and not being able to wait a few weeks for shells I'll be shooting an OTC shell again this year. So what am I missing guys?

Steven Farr

Get the Hevi-13 from Environ Metals not that crap from Remington.

Huntinfool

Right. That's what I'm comparing Hevi 13 vs the Win....Why is Hevi that much more widely used?

Steven Farr

Well I shoot the 3" 2 oz load of 6's from Environ Metals so my experience will be different than yours. I shot a little bit of everything and the Hevi-13's came out on top every time. I am shooting a Rhino .660. What choke are you using? If it is a Rhino, Indian Creek, etc., go to the 2 oz loads.

Alot of folks will jump on the "flavor of the week" and with Hevi-13's winning the target competitions, they have gained alot of popularity. This is one product that lives up to the hype though. I am a believer in them and will never shoot anything but them. Yes they are a little "slower" than other loads but I don't think a turkey will duck the shot.lol

You will find that the shot is a little more uniform in the Hevi-13's than what is found in the Nitro loads too.

Huntinfool

I'm using a Briley hevi shot choke right now. I'm heading up to bass pro today to pick up some stuff for my wife to go hunting with me this year. I'm gonna pick up several versions of both and a couple of new chokes. I'll get a good pattern yet!!!

Huntinfool

Funny thing. Tom Kelly was at the convention this weekend. I was talking to him about Nitros. He says "Well, they're $7 a shell."...."But a four shell season is a DANG good season isn't it?".

I thought that was hilarious.

Steven Farr

Save your money and just go ahead and get the Rhino 2" extended .660. As for the Hevi-13 loads, get the 3.5" #6's. If you really want it to shoot, run the barrel up to Gun Docc and he will make your 870 even better.

I am shooting the choke I mentioned above with the 3" 2 oz loads. At a measured 40 yards I consistently get 350+ pellets in a 10" circle.

Huntinfool

I've already got my wife's little 20 with him right now. Will have to get him to work on my gun later. Thanks for the advice. Gonna do some serious pattern work this coming week.

Steven Farr

If you get the Rhino, you won't be dissapointed at all. I wouldn't be surprised if you take your wife's gun a few times. With the right ingredients, a 20gauge is a bad hombre.

Huntinfool

Oh I'm gonna take it with me a bunch! It's an old HR single shot. Curtis is machining the barrel to accept chokes, putting sling swivels on, drilling and tapping for a red dot and putting a grind to fit recoil pad on it. It's gonna be one bad little gun when he gets done with it. May just go ahead and put a Rhino in it too.

blong

Farr you need to enter that gun in the world contest. A 3" #6 2oz. only has around 450 pellets in it. If you are getting over 75% of your pattern in a 10" circle at 40 yds, you will give the top guns a run for the money.

Steven Farr

I probably would give them a run for their money if I cared about that sort of thing. The kicker is that there are more guns than mine that will do it around these parts.