Newbie question for everyone.... Blind or Vest

bwarren2

Hey guys, I'm a long time deer hunter and just taking up Turkeys this year. I am curious if you would suggest using a blind or getting a turkey vest. I will be bringing my teenage son along as well and am thinking the blind will offer us more cover and allow us a little more movement. Your opinions are welcomed. Any suggestions on which blind or vest are welcomed as well.

Thanks

Randy

You need a blind and a vest. Actaully you don't need a blind.

rex upshaw

Hey guys, I'm a long time deer hunter and just taking up Turkeys this year. I am curious if you would suggest using a blind or getting a turkey vest. I will be bringing my teenage son along as well and am thinking the blind will offer us more cover and allow us a little more movement. Your opinions are welcomed. Any suggestions on which blind or vest are welcomed as well.

Thanks

blinds work great, but are a bit of a pain to lug around and they certainly will not spook the turkeys. as for the turkey vest, it all depends on what all you will be carrying. but yes, i would suggest using one, you will probably need several of the pockets for various gear, including water, snacks, thermacell and your calls. it also depends on whether or not you plan on taking decoys with you....if so, it is a must. you are going to want to have a good seat, so that is where a turkey vest will also be helpful, or you could use a wheelbarrow innertube, just slap a rope through it and carry on your shoulder.

Wetzel

I'd buy a vest.

I don't want to be in a blind and not have the freedom to move around easily from place to place. I guess if I was going to sit around a field all morning, a blind would be alright; however, if you plan to move on a turkey, I wouldn't want to be stuck carrying a blind with me.

Since you son is a teenager, he should be able to sit still enough to avoid spooking a turkey.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Get one of those half umbrella's for deer stands. you can lay it on it's side and at least be covered in front. It fits in the back of the vest nicely when folded.

robinsonfam1

i prefer one of those blinds that looks like a camo fence. lite, small, packable and works well. i have used them all year for deer hunting and they work great.

Sterlo58

Vest

You need a vest regardless. Turkey huntin' requires lots of STUFF. I hunt out of a blind sometimes when setup over decoys but usually like to be free to move around.

SELFBOW

Get the blind. it is no different than toting a backpack. I have a strap and carry it on my shoulder. takes less than a minute to setup and take down. double bull matrix.

Killdee

Neither, I prefer a belt with a couple of pouches and a good set of pruners. You can clip off a few limbs to stick in front of you and your good to go. Places that are known roosting places or strut zones I build a little better blind prior to season. A good cushion is a must for me.

CassGA

I would recommend a vest over the blind. While blinds can be helpful, they are not necessary for a lot of situations, especially if you are constantly on the move. A vest makes it easier to carry and keep up with all your gear. Just my opinion.