Hen, Jake, or Gobbler track?

C

Cane_Creek

Just curious to what you guys think? I should have placed something beside the track for scale.

hengobbtrack.jpg

Randy

Hard to tell gobbler from Jake but it is not hen.

Huntinfool

Well....I was gonna say hen so...

I think the black dot behind the track is just a black dot and not part of the track. Scale would definitely help. But it looks like a hen to me.

C

Cane_Creek

The black dot is part of the track.. I noticed it when I was taking the picture and looked closely at it.

Huntinfool

ok, then I guess I'd go jake. It's off to the side pretty far, that's why it looked like just part of the ground to me. Scale would help. But I'd go jake if that actually is part of the track.

To me, a heavier bird's toes would be more spread out than that in a track. The weight forces them out more (at least that's how it works in my crazy head).

blong

I have measured my middle(birdie) finger against tracks that I saw toms make and what I found is:
From the big knuckle at the base of my finger to the tip of my finger is generally the same lenght as a toms track from his heel(center pad) to the tip of his toenail on his middle toe. Sometimes a jake track is this long but the toes are very skinny compared to a adult tom. The dot you see at the back off the track is from the claw on the back of the leg.

hawglips

Banned
Its a gobbler (or jake). The long middle toe gives it away.

C

Cane_Creek

Last season I had three jakes walk by me where I took this pic (yesterday). Maybe it's one of those guys.

jcarter

Banned
hard to say without something to give it scale. it was leaning to the right though.

C

Cane_Creek

Didn't take note of the stride. The bird was with another bird, about the same size track.