Mouth Calls???

preacherman

Hey guys.........I am a novice turkey hunter at best. I have tried and tried for years to learn the mouth call; but to no avail.

My question is, what is a good call for a beginner and what is a good, sound instructional cd or dvd to learn with. I don't know why; but I just can't seem to get it down.

Any suggestions would greatly be taken!

TOMINATOR

Preacherman...someone on here can probably get you hooked up with these calls as I'm not sure where to get them. Jack Flynn gave me a handful of them last year to try out and they are a really user friendly mouthcall...
Tom's Teasers.

I agree with Jmike. Go to Tom Teasers website and/or call the number on the website- Tommy's a great guy and he's always willing to help his customers.
I recommend starting out with a single or a double reed (with a cut for raspiness) to learn with. there are also triple reeds with thin latex and they seem to be easy to blow.
"Primos master the art series" is very thorough and detailed on their DVD and their CD. Will Primos is another great guy to deal with.
I hope this helps.

preacherman

Thanks Jmike! Just sent him an e-mail and hoping to get a reply with some suggestions for a beginner!

turkkillr

Ive never bought into the "beginner" mouth call having learned on a 4 reed split v call...My brother was in his upper 30's when he learned to use a 4 reed call also...Kids by far are the easiest to teach..My 7 yr old is running nothing but 3 reed calls.Some of them are on the medium spectrum..Taught my daughter on a 3 reed call and she is now better than most men in the woods..Having a good teacher will pay big dividends and not wasting your money on "beginner mouth calls" that are used as sales pitches by companies..I taught an older lady on the phone last year after she bought calls from me on ebay.Within 3 phone calls she could cluck and yelp more than well enough to kill a turkey..Just my 2 cent...

Doc_Holliday23

I learned from a combination of my Dad and an old Dick Kirby video. I talked to Dick for a minute at the Convention and told him which video I used to watch and learn from (Quest for the Grand Slam) and he said that was the first video he ever made.

I aree that Tom Teasers sound great and are pretty easy to run. I think the TT-9, 3.5 Reed Hoochie Hen Cutter is a great all around mouth call.

rex upshaw

i actually think that the 2 reed foam mouth calls from quaker boy are pretty easy to use. i have never used one and was given one this past weekend. give it a try. aside from some of the k&h calls, the quaker boy foam call is pretty good for a mass produced call, but if it doesn't work for you, i would look into getting a call from one of the custom call makers....and they are very comparable in price. take a look at cane creek, tom teasers, legacy, hooks. no mouth call is right for everyone, you have to invest a little money to find the one that will fit you best. i haven't tried the tom teasers, but many folks on here love them. the best fitting call to me are the one's made by cane creek....i just like the feel and don't have to do any trimming...they are more flexible...not as stiff as some calls out there. i also use legacy, hooks and some of k&h calls.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive never bought into the "beginner" mouth call having learned on a 4 reed split v call...My brother was in his upper 30's when he learned to use a 4 reed call also...Kids by far are the easiest to teach..My 7 yr old is running nothing but 3 reed calls.Some of them are on the medium spectrum..Taught my daughter on a 3 reed call and she is now better than most men in the woods..Having a good teacher will pay big dividends and not wasting your money on "beginner mouth calls" that are used as sales pitches by companies..I taught an older lady on the phone last year after she bought calls from me on ebay.Within 3 phone calls she could cluck and yelp more than well enough to kill a turkey..Just my 2 cent...
Thanks for the calls. It was very considerate of you to send the calls after we couldn't pay-pal to work. You have a friend in Ohio. Thanks again Jeff

preacherman

Bought a couple of Tom Teaser's calls today! Can't wait to give them a try.

Thebody

I am as new as you can get to mouth calls and I bought a quaker boy begginer and practiced a while and then went to the convention and got four Tom Teaser calls. I really like the Tom Teaser calls and they were not hard to get started with. I got a Ghost Cutter, Hoochie Hen, Tominator and some other one.

The biggest thing for me was my buddy who got me hooked told me how to use one. By that I mean what words to mimick; chuck, chick, chalk, pee, put, kit and so forth. I just tried them all till something sounded like a Turkey. I watched a couple of videos too, one from Quaker boy and one from Primos.

I just hope it works for me because I have driven my wife and kids crazy. If I don't kill a Turkey, they may kill me!!!!