Favorite Place in Georgia for Long Beards?

K.E.B.

Where in Georgia do you think has the most birds? I love to hunt around Columbus and the Alabama state line, also from covington to lake Oconee seems to be loaded. I've also been seenin a ton a birds up around Hiawassee. We got a state full of birds and just thought I'd get a little chatter started about some of your favorite areas. Not lookin for GPS coordinates just a little friendly conversation

wack em

I dont care as long as im hunting!

Doc_Holliday23

SoWeGa... Blakely, Cuthbert, Ft. Gaines, etc. Covered up in birds.

I also hunt a good piece of property in Hancock.

Huntinfool

I typicall hunt three counties: Hancock, Morgan and Newton.

Hancock has, by far, been the best county for me. Morgan would be second and Newton is actually new for me so I'm hoping it'll be a good 'un.

But as I think about it, the property in Hancock is private and ONLY gets hunted when I go down there with my buddy who owns it. So there's no pressure and no competition.

Morgan is second. But that property is a hunting club. So there's always folks out there the first couple of weeks of the season. I'm sure that messes things up for a while. I can usually kill one bird a season off that property. But it's hard earned.

So I think, what you'll find is that it is less "where" the property is and more "how much pressure" it gets. I think just about any area in Georgia is gonna be good for turkey hunting if there's no pressure.

jbird1

Oglethorpe county seems to have rebounded some....just very spooky even on private land

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Oglethorpe county seems to have rebounded some....just very spooky even on private land

why is it spooky:huh:, i have some land in oglethorpe that i hunt but has very few birds in fact i didn't even hunt it last year, i haven't seen a bird down there in 2 years, although at the beginning of bow season i heard one gobble every morning for about the first 2 weeks of bow season

jbird1

I saw 2 gobblers in 18 year select cut(my lease on the south fork of the Broad river near Carlton) in early February and have seen lots of hen and gobbler tracks recently. Ours are roosting in old cedars...basically hollowing them out. They can basically hop in and out of roosts like penguins...silent

palmettoswamp

My buddy has some land we hunt in Emanuel County that has some big ole easterns. His property runs along some small river. Love them gobbling GA birds!!:banana:

my girlfriend's grandparents (Mom's side of the family) have a 150-200 acre goat farm, cattle farm right outside of Oglethorpe. I ve deer hunted the property a few times over the years but i have never tried to chase the birds down there. Mainly because the times that i have visited has been during thanksgiving or Christmas. Her grandad has told me that "there are turkeys every where" plenty of times but i have never seen one. I have been down there on three different occasions...each time we stayed a minimum of 2 days.

Her Dad's side of the family owns a considerable amount of land ( 500 acres < ) in Toccoa, which is in Stephens county. I have never been down there but she told me that there "were like 50 of 'em in daddy's back yard everyday we woke up". Her and her brother made a trip down there over the summer for a weekend and she said that they saw birds everyday they were there.

I was really giving it a serious thought to go down and hunt one of the options listed above sometime this season.

Which place would you go, Oglethorpe or Toccoa?

Why?

Have you had any experience in these areas? How was it?

HenryHunter

Only hunted a few places, Henry and Putnam counties and the ONF and have had good luck. Our club in Putnam does not seem to have the birds it used to due to all the thinning the timber company has been doing. Gonna give Pike county a try this year as well.