PDA

View Full Version : Buntings

quailchaser
04-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Woke up this morning and was standing at the window looking at the yard. There were a couple birds on the ground feeding, but since I wasn't fully awake I had no idea what I was looking at. After a few minutes it hit me. One of the birds was a Painted Bunting and the other was an Indigo Bunting. Needless to say I got my camera and tried to get some pictures. I don't have a good zoom so I have to try to doctor the pics a little on the computer. I'll try to post them if they look good enough. I was so glad to see these birds. I usually see one or the other every year around this time as they travel through, but I have never seen them together like this. If the past holds true, they will be gone in a day or two. Sure was a good way to wake up.

blindhog
04-18-2005, 07:08 AM
What a treat! Hope my birdfeeder attracts some

EON
04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Quail those are sweet, I've had about three at the feeder for awhile now. Last week I had two Rose Brested Bunting, they where the first I've ever seen except for pictures. I've took several pictures but I'll have to have them developed and scanned then I'll post up.

gordylew
04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I seen a red breasted grosbeak the other day. 1st one I,ve ever seen except for pictures. I have never seen the painted bunting.

GAGE
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I fill my feeders all the time and a large group of blackbirds are always emptying it out! :banginghe
Other than them I see cardinals, chickadees and few finches!
What are you filling your feeders with and what would you do about these black birds? :huh:

Thanks

Gage

Bucky T
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I saw an Indigo Bunting down on my hunting lease a few weeks ago turkey hunting. I've never seen a Painted Bunting however.

Nice Sightings.

Tommy

gordylew
04-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I,ve been seeing a small solid blue bird at the feeder I believe to be an Indigo bunting but it has a yellow beak do young buntings have a yellow beaks?

jay sullivent
04-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I fill my feeders all the time and a large group of blackbirds are always emptying it out! :banginghe
Other than them I see cardinals, chickadees and few finches!
What are you filling your feeders with and what would you do about these black birds? :huh:

Thanks

Gage

i personally prefer sunflower as opposed to the mix. to much of the mix goes uneaten. can you tell which seeds the blackbirds prefer? it's probably the millet. if so try just sunflower. most birds will eat the sunflower except for the chipping sparrow... and there are prob a couple others but not many.

frankwright
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
It is really a coincidence that this post came up. About noon today I was getting ready to go to my Grandsons 9th Birthday party and I happened to look out at my feeder and there were two birds feeding together. One was the most brilliant blue I had ever seen and the other appeared to be a plainer female of the same type.

I called for my wife to come and see them and she said she had seen them the day before and had tried to get a picture and had meant to tell me about them.

I did not know what it was but after reading quailchaser's post I Google it and it was an Indigo Bunting for sure.

I had never sen one before and I hope they hang around as they sure are pretty.

quailchaser
05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Gage,
I have a feeding station per se. I have one feeder on a single pole that I fill with just the regular bird seed mix. Then I have a 4x4 post that I have four different types of feed on. I used 9" plant hangers attached to the pole to hang the feeders from and one feeder sits on top of the pole. The feeder on top is filled with the regular bird seed mix. I then have one feeder filled with suet, one filled with thistle seed and the other filled with black sunflower seeds. I found this variety of feeders and food really draws in a diverse group of birds. I also have the feeders located just inside the drip line of a large oak tree. It gives the birds instant cover when they need it. I do have an occassional problem with blackbirds but not so much since the feeders aren't out in the open. Unlike most birds, blackbirds don't like to work for their food, so they look for the easy eating. My neighbor has a board nailed on top of a post and all he does is spread the feed on the board. He seems to get the majority of the blackbirds.

EON,
Glad to see you still around. Been wondering where you were. Of course, I could have emailed you. Got your email address right by the computer and see it every day but haven't even thought about putting it to use.

Bucky T
05-05-2005, 09:47 PM
I saw a male Indigo Bunting sitting on a fence post on my way home from work today. 2nd one I've seen this year.

Tommy

Ga-Spur
05-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Those black birds y'all made mention of are Brown -headed Cowbirds . This is the welfare bird. They lay their eggs in other birds nest especially some of the smaller birds. The bigger bird devours most of the food brought by the foster parents. It may even push the hosts' young out of the nest. The female may lay as 40 eggs in other birds nest. There are a few birds that know it is not their egg and build another layer of nest over it.

EON
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Several good points, Eliminate the feed the B-birds are eating and hopefully they will go away. I set out three feeders one with thissel only. One sunflower only and one that has three seperate sections and put something different in each. Two of mine are supposed to be squirel proof but I'm not convenced yet. Any ideas how to get rid of them dang things?

Quail, I'm still kickin just got a real job now.

coon dawg
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
200 Painted Buntings last week. :) :)