What is it about UF?

Hunting Teacher

Why does it seem that so many college team fans seem to hate the University of Florida?
I mean it makes sense they'd be FSU's most hated rival.
I have to live amonxt all these Bull Gators here in C. Florida and the way they've been waxing our behinds here lately it's been rough. But it seems like most UGA and UT fans also hate UF with a passion.
I'd like to pretend like their fans are more obnoxious or arrogant than anybody else's but it ain't true.
Back when FSU used to win a game once in a while some of our fans were just as big of jerks as UF fans.
So what's the deal? If you hate UF with a passion what's the reason? What do you think Chadair?
And no it's not just jealousy. Cause people seemed to hate UF even when they weren't very good.
Teacher

Cletisbocephus

i don't know about chadair but i think tennessee despises us because they really don't have an instate rival and fat phil and spurrier never could get along (that seems to be a common theme with spurrier). i think uga despises us just because we are neighboring states that are constantly going head to head recruiting wise. i also hate to say this but i also don't think uga has much of an instate rival anymore (sorry tech fans)

KYBobwhite

No that's not why we hate UF

i don't know about chadair but i think tennessee despises us because they really don't have an instate rival and fat phil and spurrier never could get along (that seems to be a common theme with spurrier). i think uga despises us just because we are neighboring states that are constantly going head to head recruiting wise. i also hate to say this but i also don't think uga has much of an instate rival anymore (sorry tech fans)

We hate'em because we rarely beat them. And that fact that Spurrier was so arrogant and it looks like Meyer has the same swagger.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Wow I see that I beat the crowd on this one and managed to be the second Dawg here. Where do I start? I'm being asked to sum up something that could take pages, in a few lines. There are alot of reasons for my dislike of Florida. I'll sart with the most obvious. Since 1990 they have beaten us.....alot. I mean a whole lot. I'm 30 years old so during my lifetime we have done alot of losing to Florida. Lose to a conference and division rival that often and it gets very old, very quick. UGA fans kind of get made fun of for our attitude about the Gators but try getting beat by a rival that much and you will be plenty sore about it. That brings me to Steve Spurrier. He is without a doubt the most hated man in Georgia. For years we had to endure not only the mounting losses to UF, but his constant taunts, sarcastic comments, and insults about our team, and his openly belligerant and hostile attitude toward our coaches. It wasn't enough for him to simply beat us consistently, he had to be insulting about it as well and repeatedly kick us when we were down. That all dates back to his inability to beat UGA as a player at Florida. His ego just couldn't stand it. Next is the geography factor. We share a border and compete for alot of the same players. Add that to what I have already mentioned and it just heightens the hatred as the Gators have landed the majority of those recruits and nearly all of them until recent years. Most of the players know each other, which makes the game more hostile which in turn makes the fans more hostile toward each other and with Florida doing the majority of the winning in recent years, they have had some pretty pointed things to say and plenty of ammuinition to use. That brings me to the fans. There are knuckle heads and obnoxious people in every fanbase but Florida's just seem to be a little worse than most. That may just be because I am a die hard Dawg that I feel that way. I can tell you that friends of mine once had a group of drunk Florida fans threaten them at a game. My friends had their KIDS with them!! That sort of plays into my next point about the site of the game. I don't care what anybody says, it's a home game for Florida and they know it. However, it's been played in Jacksonville for so long that I doubt it will ever change and being a south Georgian it's a closer drive for me but alot of Dawgs resent the fact that it's played there. Playing home and home is probably not a good idea though. Can you imagine the Florida people coming to Athens or us going to Gainesville? It probably wouldn't be good. However, I can honestly say that most of the Gators on this forum are good guys and I like them other than the fact that they are Gators, lol!! chadair is a good guy and a knowledgeable fan. larpyn and jmike are good guys as well. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I have talked to the most. I also have two very good hunting buddies who are die hard Gators. Here's to many more years of rivalry. Go Dawgs!! Sic Em!!!

duckbill

Mitch,
I believe Spurrier had a LOT to do with it. As much as this Gator fan enjoyed the Spurrier era, I will say that the man is a jerk. Meyer has a bit of arrogance about him, as well. If he wins ball games, though, he can be as arrogant as he wants.
GA hates us because we owned them until this past year. TN hates everybody. The rest has to be jeaolusy :bounce::bounce: .

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
South Georgia Dawg...your one point about the Home and home not being realistic because of the thought of UF fans invading Athens and UGA fans invading Gainesville would be un-wise is probably partially true...
However how fun would it be!!!? I love going to J-ville for the game, but as a Gator fan I'd love going to Athens and being in town for the big game...if that happened i think you would see it become the nations biggest rivalry without a doubt.

Maybe you're right. I know that Auburn/Bama used to be played in Birmingham and people had the same reservations that I expressed about playing home and home. However, I've been told that it actually enhanced the rivalry and just made the game even more special. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing.

SuperSport

And that fact that Spurrier was so arrogant and it looks like Meyer has the same swagger.

That my be the ONLY thing I can agree with you on!:bounce:

bullgator

I believe Spurrier is also the one who answered a very similar question by saying, "If they like you, they must be beating you!".
Seriously, I've wondered this myself and I'm glad it wasn't a Gator fan who brought this up.

cobb

I wouldn't call uga much of a rival since they only won a couple in 17 or 18 yrs...but they seem to think they are everyone's rival...sic em'

larpyn

here are some of the reasons the uf and uga animosity still exists among those of us who remember it. http://florida.scout.com/2/457655.html
i am not old enough to remember some of the earlier stuff that went on but i remember all the stuff that went on in the 80's and early 90's.
the older i get the more i choose to live in the present. hate is a heavy burden to carry and i choose not to carry it. many of my friends and family are UF,FSU and UGA alumni or fans. to say i hate them or their team is a ridiculous concept to me personally. i do like to remind them when the gators smack their butts and they do likewise :bounce:
i love the rivalries and look forward to every season. i like to poke, jab and talk a little smack but i can guarantee it is all in good fun.:cheers:
i am not sure why so many proclaim their hatred for the gators. you have to admit that UF has an elite athletic program right now. maybe that is the reason?:huh:
most gators are smart enough to know that all programs go through peaks and valleys. i would like to ride this peak for a while :biggrin2: but i also keep in the back of my head that there will always be a valley to cross eventually. being mean and nasty to other fans will only make them rub it in even more when they get the upper hand. ;)
go Gators!

Hunting Teacher

here are some of the reasons the uf and uga animosity still exists among those of us who remember it. http://florida.scout.com/2/457655.html
i am not old enough to remember some of the earlier stuff that went on but i remember all the stuff that went on in the 80's and early 90's.
the older i get the more i choose to live in the present. hate is a heavy burden to carry and i choose not to carry it. many of my friends and family are UF,FSU and UGA alumni or fans. to say i hate them or their team is a ridiculous concept to me personally. i do like to remind them when the gators smack their butts and they do likewise :bounce:
i love the rivalries and look forward to every season. i like to poke, jab and talk a little smack but i can guarantee it is all in good fun.:cheers:
i am not sure why so many proclaim their hatred for the gators. you have to admit that UF has an elite athletic program right now. maybe that is the reason?:huh:
most gators are smart enough to know that all programs go through peaks and valleys. i would like to ride this peak for a while :biggrin2: but i also keep in the back of my head that there will always be a valley to cross eventually. being mean and nasty to other fans will only make them rub it in even more when they get the upper hand. ;)
go Gators!

larpyn,
Those are true words of wisdom.
The idea that I'd hate someone because of what college they cheered for is absolutely ridiculous.
FSU is in the Grand Canyon of a valley right now.:bounce:
Hopefully our football team will get to the point where the game is competitive enough to call it a rivalry again, instead of just another patsie for the Gators to thrash!

MudDucker

Staff member
I have been through UGA owning UF and the good years where no one knew who would win the games and then the Spurrier years. Most UGA and UF fans were very cordial until Spurrier came along. He is just such a jerk. Even many of my old time UF fans admit that never did Dooley seek to humiliate UF with his mouth as did Spurrier with his. So, I detest Spurrier. I don't think Meyers will ever be as successful or as hated. Its not just about winning or losing, it is how much class you display in either.

Doc_Holliday23

there are a lot of reasons people hate Florida.

1) they don't beat them very often
2) Steve Spurrier
3) those ugly uniforms
4) jean shorts

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
go Gators!

Great post man.

MCBUCK

Here is a couple of reasons Spurrier hates UGA soo bad :

Vince Dooley was the head coach at Georgia from 1964-1966 when Spurrier was the starting quarterback for the University of Florida football team. Spurrier and the Gators never beat Dooley's Dawgs. In 1966, the Gators had crafted a perfect 7-0 record leading up to the annual "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" matchup in the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville. Dooley and his defensive coordinator, Erk Russell came up with an innovative game plan and the Bulldogs repeatedly sacked and battered Spurrier on the way to a 27-10 Georgia victory.

This from SI :
Heading into that 1966 game, Dooley’s plan for Spurrier was simple: bring the heat.

“Stanfill (later an All-American and a NFL player) put him on his tail four or five times,” Dooley said. “Steve was a great athlete, confident and cocky, but we put tremendous pressure on him. That was the best way I knew to stop the quarterback.”

Stanfill, who had recovered from a neck sprain to play, calls the game “a fun day. Steve didn’t like you to get close or touch him. He’d get up complaining, ‘Late hit, late hit!’ I said, ‘Excuse me, Stevie, I didn’t mean to step on your skirt.’”

“Bill and I made a pact,” Patton said. “We would meet in the (Florida) backfield, and, hopefully, Spurrier would be there when we did.”

The Gators led 10-3 at the half, but Georgia’s defense wore down Florida in the second half. “We took them, collectively, to the woodshed,” Stanfill said. “When Steve wasn’t getting sacked, we were putting him on the ground.”

Georgia tied the game at 10. In the fourth quarter, Lynn Hughes clinched the Bulldogs’ win when Spurrier threw under pressure.

“(Hughes) read the coverage well, took the ball high, made an excellent pick, and went down the left sideline,” Dooley said.

Hughes’ 39-yard touchdown return began a 17-0 Georgia run.

Dooley doesn’t doubt that day is what motivated Spurrier when he went 11-1 against the Bulldogs while at Florida. The Gators twice rang up 52 points on Georgia, and the average score was 36-16.

“I think that’s the feeling of 99.9 percent of Georgia people,” Dooley said. “He certainly didn’t slow down when he had us beat. He seemed to delight in beating us, particularly at Sanford Stadium (a 52-17 win in 1995).”

Dooley, who retired from coaching with a 17-7-1 record against Florida."

From those days you can well imagine that OBC hated the Dawgs with a passion. That plus Dooley calling time out to kick a field goal....with just seconds left to go up like 51-0. He didn't forget it and took the opportunity in Athens years later to "hang a half a hundred in Stanford"
No. I don't like Florida.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Here is a couple of reasons Spurrier hates UGA soo bad :

Vince Dooley was the head coach at Georgia from 1964-1966 when Spurrier was the starting quarterback for the University of Florida football team. Spurrier and the Gators never beat Dooley's Dawgs. In 1966, the Gators had crafted a perfect 7-0 record leading up to the annual "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" matchup in the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville. Dooley and his defensive coordinator, Erk Russell came up with an innovative game plan and the Bulldogs repeatedly sacked and battered Spurrier on the way to a 27-10 Georgia victory.

This from SI :
Heading into that 1966 game, Dooley’s plan for Spurrier was simple: bring the heat.

“Stanfill (later an All-American and a NFL player) put him on his tail four or five times,” Dooley said. “Steve was a great athlete, confident and cocky, but we put tremendous pressure on him. That was the best way I knew to stop the quarterback.”

Stanfill, who had recovered from a neck sprain to play, calls the game “a fun day. Steve didn’t like you to get close or touch him. He’d get up complaining, ‘Late hit, late hit!’ I said, ‘Excuse me, Stevie, I didn’t mean to step on your skirt.’”

“Bill and I made a pact,” Patton said. “We would meet in the (Florida) backfield, and, hopefully, Spurrier would be there when we did.”

The Gators led 10-3 at the half, but Georgia’s defense wore down Florida in the second half. “We took them, collectively, to the woodshed,” Stanfill said. “When Steve wasn’t getting sacked, we were putting him on the ground.”

Georgia tied the game at 10. In the fourth quarter, Lynn Hughes clinched the Bulldogs’ win when Spurrier threw under pressure.

“(Hughes) read the coverage well, took the ball high, made an excellent pick, and went down the left sideline,” Dooley said.

Hughes’ 39-yard touchdown return began a 17-0 Georgia run.

Dooley doesn’t doubt that day is what motivated Spurrier when he went 11-1 against the Bulldogs while at Florida. The Gators twice rang up 52 points on Georgia, and the average score was 36-16.

“I think that’s the feeling of 99.9 percent of Georgia people,” Dooley said. “He certainly didn’t slow down when he had us beat. He seemed to delight in beating us, particularly at Sanford Stadium (a 52-17 win in 1995).”

Dooley, who retired from coaching with a 17-7-1 record against Florida."

From those days you can well imagine that OBC hated the Dawgs with a passion. That plus Dooley calling time out to kick a field goal....with just seconds left to go up like 51-0. He didn't forget it and took the opportunity in Athens years later to "hang a half a hundred in Stanford"
No. I don't like Florida.

Good stuff.

larpyn

Good stuff.

macbuck did a simple cut and paste from a google search.:bounce:
it actually required very little thought :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:stir::stir::stir: sorry i couldn't resist :cool::cool:
hey mcbuck, gators love you too!.....Go Gators!:bounce:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
macbuck did a simple cut and paste from a google search.:bounce:
it actually required very little thought :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:stir::stir::stir: sorry i couldn't resist :cool::cool:
hey mcbuck, gators love you too!.....Go Gators!:bounce:

Yeah I know.:bounce: I just love hearing about Spurrier getting roughed up. I don't care who wrote it.:cool: