How would you rate your club?

Jody Hawk

I was sitting in my stand yesterday thinking about what a good club we have. We have 800 acres right outside of Madison. Our property has a good population of turkey, deer and rabbits which are my three favorite things to hunt. We also have some great members in our club. No bickering amongst members and such. We don't worry about thieves on our property either. I know of one member that has left his two Buckshot stands unlocked hanging in the tree for two years and they are both still there. In fact I walked by one of them yesterday. In one of my previous clubs those stands wouldn't have lasted a week !!!! Another plus is that we have paying members that don't hunt, one hunts with a video camera !!!!!!! We have members in our club who want to take only trophy deer. I know of one member who has passed on numerous small bucks over the last few years. These are just a few things that to me make a great club.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Great group and great land. Landowner is a little off and we have a couple of slob thieves close by.

Overall I would say 8.

Jim

Buford_Dawg

Rate mine a 8

The camp is very nice, electricity, water, etc.... The members are nice and ethical, the surrounding landowners are nice, the deer and turkey numbers have fallen off from years past, but seem to be rebuilding. We do have some neighbors who throw out trash on the dirt roads that lead to our club, but overall I rate it a 8. If the deer numbers were as high as they were 5 years or more ago, then I would rate it a 10.

duke13

I'd rate my club a high 8. Very good deer population, turkey pop. on the upswing. About 1/3 of the lease got select cut in July. Core members are a great bunch of guys, we'll see about the new ones this year. We got rid of the one troublemaker(baiter) we caught last year. No problems with neighbors. Camp doesn't have water or elec(except for lighting that is generator powered). With as much visibility as the select cut will offer this year some good uns should be going down. Most members will be selective and not kill young, small bucks. some are "brown it's down" type hunters. Accesability is really good, there is nowhere on the property more than about 300 yards from a very good road system. i don't own a 4 wheeler and hunt the entire lease with no problems. :bounce:

Jody Hawk

Duke,
That is another plus for my club. I killed my doe opening morning on the back of our property and I drug her 50 yards to the logging road where I picked her up and loaded her on my truck. We have good roads on our place as well.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
can ya go higher than a 10??..........

both groups of folks are great............save one individual from one of the groups..................deer numbers are where they should be, weights are tremendous for all age classes in the one club, and we have some mature bucks. :D :D

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's great!We've got good land,food plots,access.....deer are there in numbers and size and I always hear turkeys gobbling in the spring.The members are easy to get along with and the rules are mostly the common sense type.I give it a 10!

Echo

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I've been in my club for 8 years and would rate it a solid 8. Would be higher if other members would be more selective in harvesting small bucks. I don't understand why they can't let the 4-pointers walk and kill a doe with as many doe days that we have. Otherwise good group of guys, the 2 troublemakers in the group were caught this past turkey season huntin' over bait, so that helped in getting rid of them. Good food plots/supplemental feeding program, nice bunkhouse and very accessible property. Do wish we had more land though (280 acres).

AWirt

I'm with Coon Dawg..."Can I go over 10"

There aren't many places I would rather be. I've hunted with the same 10 members on our leased 900 acres for longer than I can remember. We're all friends and all get along. Our land is average but we have just about everything available on it...Deer, turkey's, ducks, dove, rabbits, fish, ect. We own the 2 acres that our camp is located on so we've worked hard to get it like we want it. We've got a walk-in cooler, saws, grinders, stainless tables, ect. for processing the deer. Two tractors and all the implements for maintaining the land. I have a nice single wide with a tin roof covered porch, as does another one of our members...Everyone else has nice little small campers. Power, water, direct tv,...man, it's like heaven. Good neighbors, QDM for 10 plus years...I could go on and on...

Adam

For me personally a 10. i have it made . i hunt about 350 acres exclusive and have a 2100 acre club adjoining that i run. i have water ,electricity and wood a plenty for a fire. lots of deer ,turkey,hogs ,beavers to shoot,small game and just about everything else except no bears that i have seen. but we do have gators!

My members i would rate a 7 cause they arent the most motivated bunch. but i can't complain to much cause after the first two weekends of gun season they won't be seen much and it will be just me , my boy and a few others. oh 16 folks in the club but no real way to gauge how many will be hunting cause i have a bunch of paying suburbanites that want to be called hunters! on average they will hunt a saturday morning and go home.
I did get a little upset turkey season cause they had been watching the outdoors channel and wanted to try turkey hunting. needless to say they figured out you had to be a real hunter to get a bird and thank god they gave up. it took me until the third week of season to get a bird! :speechles

Timberman

I'm with Coon Dawg..."Can I go over 10"

I concur. Mainly it is because I am either the leaseholder and make the rules or it is my land and I make the rules. But I make good rules that insure the herd and habitat are cared for and as well the members well being is taken into consideration and that their chances at both a good buck and a quality hunting experience are enhanced. Trust me when I say it is not the easiest juggling experience. :)

How2fish

My club has been a range over the last 13 years never less than a 7 and never more than a 9. We just don't have many real "trophy" bucks. 5 of the 13 years I've killed as big a buck as anyone and I've never taken a real whopper..well a 190lb spike with 12 and 13 inch spikes and a 5pt that was a little bigger and if the scorer was right was 9 years old! But we have a great group of guys but we are looking at a few changes the next couple of years. A couple or 3 members are looking at buying some of their own land. And 1 of the members went crazy over a woman and moved to North Carolina..2 weeks b4 bow season! Man that's gotta be some woman! Every club changes..the best ones just do it slow...ya'll have a great year.

Gumpond

I hunt 2 clubs and use the term hunt loosely. I mostly just hang out and soak up the woods. I've never had a bad moment in the woods or with the folks I hunt with. Rating from one to ten just won't work for me. I'm just thankful to be there.
Both clubs I hunt have great members. In one, people I've known a long time and who I like and respect. In the other, people I want to get to know. Good folks one and all. On both I believe I could be a subsistance hunter and live well off the land. Plenty of game and opportunities. Man life is good!

H

HT2

Jody.....

1st club......

Very Stable with good members.......All the comforts that anybody would want......The hunting is above average.......I'd give it an "8"......

2nd club.......

Pretty stable with majority of members very agreeable........No comforts of home, but it's only 4 miles from 1st club, so I guess the comforts don't matter.......The Hunting is "EXCELLENT"!!!!!!!! I'd give it a "10"!!!!!!!!!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
club rating

Great club, great members, nice deer and turkeys. Just hope they don't thin the timber during hunting season like they did about four years ago.

SADDADDY

10 :clap: for sure. We have 450ac of prime property, approx 200ac planted this year in, Corn, soybean and peanuts, pleanty of bottom land with year around flowing creeks, hardwoods and pines we have it all. Only 4 members and a great group of guys, which I couldn't of found a better bunch to spend the weekends with. :clap:

frankwright

I would rate our club a seven or eight and our members a nine.

We have 500 acres with nine food plots. We have never had a harsh word or someone walking in on another or any unsportsmanlike or even unkind action.
We have light hunting pressure with good ethical hunters. I don't think it can be better.

The only things that could be better is if we had a house,water,electricity.flush toilets and a little more help on work days.

Duff

I rate my club as hard to get to this year :mad:

Sandman619

i would rate my club a 9 good mix of cutover , planted pines and bottoms, good deer and a load of turkeys!
plus a good group of guys to hunt with.