Pan Fried Steak?

dutchman

Does anybody do pan fried steak? I usually grill the steaks we eat at home, but I have a grill pan that I bought awhile back and wonder about pan frying. Just curious as to how to go about it the right way. Any help?

Tuck

Sorry, I can't help on the fried steak details.

I pam fry cube steak but my beloved T-bone must be cooked on the Big Green Egg :cheers:

Tuck

wildcats

i will occasionally have a steak like "back home"...when i was a kid we didn't have a grill so we would rub steaks down in butter and olive oil and fry them in an iron skillet...tastes a bunch like a waffle house steak

HMwolfpup

haven't done it in a while, but the one thing that helps is to get the skillet HOT before you put the steaks on....wildcat's prep sounds pretty good, going to have to try that.

rayjay

Pan fry is how we sometimes FINISH a steak :banana:

Go out to turn the steak and opps, out of propane.

Mossy0ak270

I'll have to agree with gabowman, sure cant beat the charcoals, but I have done pan fried steak. I just did mine in butter and it was great.

Woody's Janitor

I knew a lady out in Oklahoma that would prep a thin t-bone like she would her chicken-fried steak, and fry it! It was good!!!

SmokyMtnSmoke

Pan Fried Steak. Here's how I do it...

The Ove Glove or other suitable kitchen oven mit IS required!

I have a square griddled cast iron pan. I've seen them at our Cracker Barrel
lodge-square-grill-pan.jpg

Preheat oven and pan to 500 deg. While preheating prep steaks as below.

Dry the steak on paper towels, lightly coat with olive oil this helps the seasonings stick, apply your favorite steak seasoning/rub such as Montreal,etc.

With oven mit, remove preheated pan. Place steaks in pan and place back in oven for approxomatly 2 min. Remove pan, turn steaks, place back in oven for approxamatly 2 more minutes.

Have a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil ready that can wrap both steaks.

Remove pan from oven, place steaks in foil, wrap tightly and place on top of stove or some warm spot to let them 'sweat'.

Prepair your table setting and other sides, this will give the steaks a few minutes to sweat the juices. Once the table is ready carefully open aluminum foil so as not to spill the juice and serve the steaks.

Depending on the type of steak (my wife and I prefer NY Strip) and thickness the steaks will be around medium to medium well. A thick steak will have some pink inside. And the sweating lets the seared steak marinate in their own juices making for a very tender meat. Cooking times will need to be adjusted to your taste and liking.

Be aware that this process can create quite a bit of smoke so be prepaired to open a window or better yet do it outside in the grill but still using the cast iron pan.

Enjoy!

Delton, you can add this to the Woody's Cook Book. :)

Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Smoky,

That sounds good!

I'm gonna give that a try tonight. I already have a steak thawed out and I don't want to deal with having to cook it outside in the cold.....Thanks!

SmokyMtnSmoke

Well how did yours turn out huntnnut? ;)

I did this for my valentine. :) She seemed to enjoy it from the smile on her face. Mine was tasty too.

Last night's steak seasonigs...
Durkee_steak_dust.jpg

dixie

Something I do for the winter, buy a couple of famly paks of ribeyes, T-bones, whatever your fav steak is, then grill them about half done and then wrap each one and freeze them, that way when we take a notion for a grilled steak we just let them thaw and then broil to done.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Well how did yours turn out huntnnut? ;)

I did this for my valentine. :) She seemed to enjoy it from the smile on her face. Mine was tasty too.

Last night's steak seasonigs...
Durkee_steak_dust.jpg

I'm to easy I guess. I didn't realize it was Valentines Day when I said that and ended up taking her out to Red Lobster. I did fix the steak last night, though I grilled it outside before it got dark on me. I'm gonna try that recipe though, you can bet your boots on that...:D

boneboy96

take some black pepper and some red pepper (cyanne) and perhaps a little garlic powder and mix it all together for a rub...lightly oil the steak/steaks and rub the spices in good. In a CAST IRON PAN...heated to hot hot hot...sear the steaks til black...won't take but a minute or 2 per side...
This can also be done with fish or chicken too. Blackened tastes oh so good! :fine: Next call the fire dept and tell them it's OK...house isn't on fire! :rofl:

breathe in

i find it works best with a ribeye, as this has more fat content.
a little s&p on both sides. put cast iron on stove till it starts to smoke. drop ribeye and cook till your desired temp. because of the fat, you won't need to add butter or oil as it will get a great sear if your pan is hot enough.

add some shrooms to the pan and your good to go.:cool:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Marinate the 1 1/4" thick ribeyes (ain't no other steak. The rest is jest meat) in a little Worcestershire and butter. Sprinkle it with season salt or grill creations etc. and put it in a clean, dry cast iron skillet that is as hot as you can get it.

But first! Turn your exhaust fan on and open the back door!

Or remove the batteries from your smoke detector.:p

Let it set in the hot pan for about 2 minutes, sliding it every few seconds with a spatula or tongs. DO NOT STICK IT WITH A FORK OR KNIFE!!!:mad: Then flip it over and let it ride for another couple of minutes (or less).

The fat in the steak along with what little of the marinate is on the steak will be all the moisture you need. Don't add more liquid or you'll end up with a boiled steak.;)

Last step: Call me! I'll be there in a minute!

:yeah: