joboo

All, I am interested in trying my hand at making stone knives. Were is the best place to start. (Do you all meet regularly to learn and exchange tips?)
One of my next projects is a tipi.

Nugefan

Chehaw Park in Janurary ...

Stone Mountain in May .....

Fort Yargo every 3rd weekend of the month ...

There is a mini knapp in held monthly over near 6 flags , Al33 or Missing Ridge can help ya on that .....

hope this helps ....

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
Monthly Knap-in

The knap-in is held in Newnan-Dave Swetmon's house-next one is March 29-Dave also sponsors a yearly knap-in in Cartersville at lake Alatoona this year on April 26.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I strongly recommend that you attend a knap in, or a primitive skills workshop. You will be able to observe first hand, what goes on when you are workin` a piece of stone. Another event to attend will be rondyvoos. Here you will get a chance to see a lot of different primitive skills that will help you out a lot. Here you will see pitch glue bein` made, sinew preparation, antler workins`, and other skills. You will also be able to see some tipis, and how they are constructed (makin` a tipi is a real PAIN, but worth it).

georgiarebel6165

The knap-ins and rondyvoos sound very interesting. What would I need to bring to the knap-ins? I got some books once on knapping from my inter-library loan, but nothing would compare to the hands on tribal knowledge (pun) passed down by some more of the experienced knappers.

Dumb question, but how do you know what kind of rock your looking at? I've thought hey I'll just find some flint and practice making my own, but then I don't know if I've actually found flint. :huh: Can other type rocks be used?

Nicodemus I've done some Civil War reenacting so I can relate to your sig line. Any websites that list the upcoming rondyvoos in the area?

Nugefan

all ya need to bring to a knap in is money , there will be everything you need to get started and then some .... would be best to go with someone with a little knowledge of rocks , antlers and flaws to look fer .....

I am going to the N Ga knap in as I am sure Missing Ridge and Al33 will be there also , we went last year and had a big time ..... keep in touch come April .....

There are Frontier Festival and Indian Festivals all over the state .... google em and see what is close to you ...

bam_bam

I am gonna try an make the cartersville knapp-in