Never had a trail cam but...

BoxCallWillie

I am set on getting one eventualy
my questions are as follows.
What would y'all recomend for a first one.
Been looking at the Moultry D-40 digital.
But I dont know anything about setting one up
just what I have read.
Any tips, help, or pointers is greatly appreciated
from anyone.
Is this model a good begginer one ?
I cant afford a 300.00 camera so that thought is out
of the question.
Id like to get a easy to use and set up one
but I dont know a thing about them period.
Lots of tools of the hunting field has changed
for the good but this is one im behind on.

Help me select a good camera for my first...

Thanks,
BCW

JohnK3

Banned
I own a Moultrie that I like a lot. Pretty simple to set up and use. I just need to find a good place to set it up so that it'll see some deer!

Jake Allen

I have had good success with the Moultrie 40 ($99.00 camera).
Battery life and picture quality acceptable, trigger a little slow but
has worked good for me on food plots and such.
I have also had good luck with Stealth Cam, 390.
Only ptoblem with the Stealth is the CF card, and will only work with a 512mbor less or less. (Hard to find, and more expensive the a 1mb). But, the camera takes really good pictures.
Between the Moultrie and Stealth, I have about 3500 to 4000 pictures.

BoxCallWillie

I have had good success with the Moultrie 40 ($99.00 camera).
Battery life and picture quality acceptable, trigger a little slow but
has worked good for me on food plots and such.
I have also had good luck with Stealth Cam, 390.
Only ptoblem with the Stealth is the CF card, and will only work with a 512mbor less or less. (Hard to find, and more expensive the a 1mb). But, the camera takes really good pictures.
Between the Moultrie and Stealth, I have about 3500 to 4000 pictures.

Jake when you say trigger is slow are you talking about
the shuter speed ?

What im wanting to do is put it on food plots and see what
I might or might not have.
Like I said, I have never used one of these things
and figure if im am ever goin to .. nows the time to get started. Bud when I started deer huntin these things werent in exsetence LOL, but I can and do see the need
for one to make a better season .

I use to say , I'll never have a computer ... Boy , Now
a day don't go by with out being on it .
When setting one up , how high up do you set them in the tree ?
And how far should you set it from your food plot for the best pictures ?

Thanks guys,
BCW

robertyb

It cost a little more ($199.00) but look at the Moultrie I40 camera. You will be glad you did.

Do a search on here for I40. (I-40) :)

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
The I-40 is getting great reviews and that would be my choice if you can afford it. I just bought 2 of the Moultrie D-40's last month. One has worked fine with the occasional dreaded whiteouts Moultrie is famous for. The other D-40 is headed back to Moultrie. It sat in a food plot for two days taking no pictures and then started taking a picture every two minutes day and night till it filled up a 1gig SD card. Makes for a cool slide show watching the sun come up, shadows crossing the plot and sun going down.

BoxCallWillie

The I-40 is getting great reviews and that would be my choice if you can afford it. I just bought 2 of the Moultrie D-40's last month. One has worked fine with the occasional dreaded whiteouts Moultrie is famous for. The other D-40 is headed back to Moultrie. It sat in a food plot for two days taking no pictures and then started taking a picture every two minutes day and night till it filled up a 1gig SD card. Makes for a cool slide show watching the sun come up, shadows crossing the plot and sun going down.

LoL
How is Moultry with returns, do they cover your
camera on such as what happend to the one .
Thanks ,
BCW

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
This is the first one I've returned. I've heard everything from "Great service and turnaround time" to "they kept my camera 4 months." If I had still had the box i would have returned it to Bass Pro Shop. Moultrie specifically asks you not to return it to place of purchase but call them first. Biggest gripe is YOU have to pay shipping to them.

Jake Allen

Jake when you say trigger is slow are you talking about
the shuter speed ?

Thanks guys,
BCW

Baiscally how long it takes for the camera to change from "sleep" mode. A trade off with the less expensive cameras.
Slow wake up: good battery life
Faster Wake Up: bad battery life
I generally get 300 to 500 pictures over a month on 6 D
batteries.
I have been lucky and not needed any repair work therefore not experience with the factory.

bulldawgborn

I have a Moultrie. The pic quality is pretty good. The flash range does not extend as far as I would like and the trigger speed is slow........ I slowly drove a '79 long wheel base Chevrolet pickup in front of mine one time and the camera did not trigger. It works fine if you set it up on a food plot or have something to keep em standing in front of the camera. I haven't quite trained my deer to do jumping jacks yet so I use yellow acorns.

BoxCallWillie

Baiscally how long it takes for the camera to change from "sleep" mode. A trade off with the less expensive cameras.
Slow wake up: good battery life
Faster Wake Up: bad battery life
I generally get 300 to 500 pictures over a month on 6 D
batteries.
I have been lucky and not needed any repair work therefore not experience with the factory.

Thanks Jake
I gotcha now...
Im still looking to get my first one
and taking everyones advise , pro's and con's
on the Moultry D-40.
Glad y'all have some true expierence with these trail cams
as I said before , this is my first rodeo with one
and want to get all aspecs of one good or bad.

BCW