Does DNR do mineral sites on WMAs?

GeauxLSU

Friend believes he saw a HUGE one on Lake Russell last week and just wondering if they do mineral sites in addition to plots? :huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Phil,

I've personnally never heard of the DNR putting in mineral sites, though I know they do f/p's. It was most likely put in by an individual that hunts the area.

Jasper

I doubt it seriously. Like Nutt says, probably an individual or possibly a natural lick.

GeauxLSU

I was assuming natural. Didn't even think about an individual. Hmmmm.... :huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

JBowers

No, they do not.

bull0ne

Banned
I have found a couple blown out salt licks that were near old house sites, no dought it was where the smoke house was located.

Nugefan

Lick was huge

I'm the 1 that found the lick , this thing was bigger than my chevy truck hood :hair: Guess I should find the Ranger next time out and show it to him . Was in a great place it had several huge trails leading to and from it .
Thought I had found the magical honey hole , from some of the replies maybe , I have found an un - ethical hunters sweet spot .
Maybe Ranger Rick would like to visit him on opening day . :cool: :cool: :cool:
My first post , have been a silent viewer long enough !

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Welcome aboard Nugefan and post away!

Btw, it sounds as if you may have indeed found a honey hole. FYI, as long as there is not any visible minerals on top of the ground 10 days prior to hunting, then it isn't illegal to hunt over or in close proximity of it.

GeauxLSU

Nugefan said:
My first post , have been a silent viewer long enough !
Good! Now I can quit asking YOUR questions for you! :whip: :bounce:
Despite his handle guys, he's a good guy. :rofl: ::gone:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ps - now that I think about it, I've never seen Ted and him (nugefan) in the same place and they do look an awful lot alike. Maybe..... ?!?!?! :hair:

Nugefan

Thanks for the welcome

but Phil you are so a fast on the keyboard ...
Thanks for doing my postings , now I need a typing class . :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe
I'll have to post the pic of Ted and I at his Gonzo Birthday Bash in 2003 . Seen more critters in Texas in 1 morning hunt than I have seen in all my years of hunting . :offtopic:

Mac

Policy may have changed, but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up near lake Russel WMA and I knew where 4 or 5 different Salt licks where located during the 70's They all were near wildlife openings.

At the time, I didn't have a clue what they were except I would see deer at them and there was a hole in the ground. I asked the Game warden for the area what they were and he told we they were salt licks put out by the WMA managers for the wildlife.

I am sure Nudefan saw one of those sites I was familar with.

GA DAWG

They may not now but somebody used to.I know on dawson forest somebody used to put the out.All were located around food plots on the treeline.I know about every food plot has an old one around it.I have found 2 that are natural licks.One on bf grant and 1 on joe kurz.The one on bf grant is the size of a full size truck.Its a good peace from anything were its at.I would say its natural.I've never seen anybody around it hunting.Hung my camera on it and took 36 pics in a week.