Gobbler goes quiet

mdhall

How long will you typically wait when a gobbler suddenly stops talking before you move to another spot? Or would you try to move closer to the last gobble? I was hunting river bottoms with really thick palmettos.

dognducks

Banned
i'd sit right there until he gobbled agian. Alot of times that means he's on his way to you. if you try to get up and move closer you'll bump him.

IdRatherBHunting

was he on the roost while gobbling? If so he probably flew down and went the other way. If he was on the ground he was probably on the other side of the "thick palmetos" strutting. Alot of times a gobbler goes silent when he gets close. Could you here him spitting and drumming would you recognize this sound? Just curious. If he was coming in to your call from the ground I would wait for a good hour or until I heard him gobble further off. More than likley he was right there within 100 yards and simply lost interest and moved on. I personally would try to avoid setting up in thick palmettos to avoid that.

Robk

I had one years ago hang up on a 20 foot wide patch of bamboo. I could hear him strutting and drumming on the other side of it but could do nothing about it. he eventually just turned around and headed back down the creek bottom.

Rob

IdRatherBHunting

He was coming toward us, but he was still a good way off. He was barely audible at first and kept getting closer responding about 20 times then just quit.

He was hung up in the palmettos. He was probably closer than you thought just not willing to go through thick stuff.

sman

I would wait at least 30 minutes from the last time you called.

Saying that I waited 30 minutes Monday got up and moved 75 yards away from the bird I was set up on to go to another bird, only to have the first one come running in behind me and right past me 10 minutes later.

Latest posts