Turkey's roosting in thicker brush????

h20fowlin

Banned
is it me, or has anyone else noticed turkeys roosting in THICK brush more and more.

Have the coyotes gotten that bad?

I walked a two mile road on saturday, and every 200 yards there was coyote crap with feathers.

The turkeys i heard at first light were roosted in stuff so thick, you'd have to low crawl to them.

They pitched down and took a drainage ditch which was a little more thin- but only 10 yards wide out toward a swamp.

This is the third of fourth time its happened.

Curious if its just bad luck or a new trend.

abolt2506

I think you may be on to somthing. We set up on two sets of birds Sat. Had some to the left and some to the right. I faced the right birds do to terrain. the birds to the left came right in only behind us.
i set up that way because the birds on the left we seperated by the thickest cane grass ever. They never got out of it. In all the years i have hunted turkeys i have never seen them come through stuff that thick.

tyler1

I would think that it would be just to opposite that they would be in more open areas so that they can see and hear better. A coyote would have a better chance of getting one of them in thick cover.

My guess is that there is just something in there that they are wanting to eat. Just a thought.

jbird1

They definately stick to the thick stuff on our property. They roost in cedars and make very little noise w/ fly up-down. After the green up they will probably loosen up a bit.

trkyburns

I would think that if they felt they were in danger from coyotes they would stick to more open areas. Coyotes have gotten really bad where i live. At first I thought it was cool to have coyotes in my backyard. Now I realize the impact they are having on turkey, quail, etc. populations where I hunt. I have decided to take up coyote hunting/extermination after turkey season is over. Something needs to be done about them!

h20fowlin

Banned
Dont know about the open area..yeah, youd think it would make sense..but....

Yotes like most predators are generally lazy when it comes to underbrush...they stay out of it...they'd more than likely hit a turkey walking an open road or coming and going from a field entrance.

Most of the turkey carcasses ive found are in very thin planted pine areas or road edges...

And with some many dry leaves on the ground, turkeys take advantage of there hearing staying in thick stuff.

With rain, i'd guess they would take there better chances and hit the open fields.

Killdee

All I know is the open pasture land I used to love to hunt and kill turkeys on has gone way downhill since the cows were sold and the pastures were let grow up in pines. I'll take pretty open woods and fields anyday. Kill every coyote you see, even if it messes up your hunt.