I say....

blindhog

the best hunt is one accomplished with no decoys.

I am starting to have a "thing" about using them, don't want to.:rolleyes:

Actually have never killed a bird with one.

Can you say "Purist"? :bounce:

That is the real "challenge", a testing of the skills.

Limit like that, and I say it's earned respect.:cool:

GA DAWG

I cant stand decoys lol...... I've also never killed one with one out. I've run a good many off on the local wma.They see that sucker and get the heck out! FAST..I never even get mine out of the building anymore..

h20fowlin

Banned
I dont use them on WMA's.....not to mention the severe health hazard that lies therein.

On unhunted birds, there deadly.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

i have only killed one bird with a deke out and i believe i could've killed him without it. i have put out dekes and had birds hang up and not had them out and wished that i would've, i will use them if i feel the need to

GobblingDawg

Yeah, I say that whoever feels like they have to use a decoy, ain't much of a turkey hunter.
:huh::huh::huh:

Whether it is their "security blanket" in the turkey woods or either their so-called "secret weapon", consistently using a decoy equals a lacking of true turkey killing skills.

:bounce::stir::bounce::stir:

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!!

Go Dawgs and thank God for turkey season,
GobblingDawg

Robk

killed em both ways irregardless of others say. when they are as henned up as I have seen them it may just be the ticket. I usually only get a few days a year to put serious time. if it means I can get it done with one or without one I don't care. I use them about 50% of the time. Enough times the deke's have allowed me to be a bit more selective on which one I take. Just another legal method to take one.

R

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51

Not being smart here but if you want to be a real purist then throw away the turkey calls and the shotgun, get some feathers and put them in your headband....thenyou will be a purist.::ke:::ke::bounce:

MKW

I use them very rarely. The use of decoys don't bother me nearly as much as the use of pop-up shooting houses!:stir: :bounce: :stir: :bounce:

Mike

blindhog

Not being smart here but if you want to be a real purist then throw away the turkey calls and the shotgun, get some feathers and put them in your headband....thenyou will be a purist.::ke:::ke::bounce:

I consider your comment being smart......:stir:

I don't care if you want to use them, it's a mountain man thing for me....:shoot:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
I consider your comment being smart......:stir:

I don't care if you want to use them, it's a mountain man thing for me....:shoot:

Wait a second i was just teasing you a little but if you want to talk about hunting them and being a PURIST then Im a mountain boy who knows several men who killed their first turkeys by sitting real still after they scouted them and watched their habits for a few days....now THAT is a purist AND a sportsman. ;)

h20fowlin

Banned
Spitin and Drummin....thats what im addicted to. Whatever works to get that turkey within 10 yards spitting and drumming so hard you feel the shock waves in your chest.

Those who havent experienced that, have no clue what the passion is about.

Decoys are a tool....some days there beneficial. Food plots around lunch...i like em! And thats from experience.

G Duck

I have limited with and without decoys. I only use them when we hunt fields up in Mid. Ga. The measure of a good turkey hunt has nothing to do with decoys..
Do you duck hunt? if so have you used decoys?

Jody Hawk

I know two ole gobblers the past two seasons that lived to see another day because ole peg leg was standing there. :banginghe I got on a gobbler last season and he done something that I've never heard of before. He came in but hadn't yet offered a shot. The moment he saw my decoy he started gobbling and putting, one right after the other. He immediately made a wide circle around the decoy, out of gun range and went right on down the woods gobbling. I never could get him to come back in to my calling.

Then two years ago, me and my buddy got set up on a gobbling fool while he was still on the roost. He flew down and came on a string. He whispered to my buddy that I see him to get ready. The moment he saw our decoys, he stopped and started walking side ways, still out of gun range. He turned and walked away. :huh:

That's my two bad dealings with dekes the past few seasons. I killed one with a deke out a few years ago. Even he didn't come right in and fall in love. He got to the decoy and circled it but luckily he was in gun range. :huh:

I still wouldn't mind trying a Pretty Boy just to see if those long spurred limbhangers would come in charging that thing like they do on videos. :bounce:

tbgator

Banned
I've had good and bad experiences with dekes but I think the best two hunts I had we were using dekes both times. There are times that if used correctly a good jake deke will be the only way to pull a gobbler off his hens.