• Yes

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Depends on the situation...

Votes: 48 52.2%

• Total voters

whitetaco02

All this talk about decoys has got me thinking. I would like to hear everybody's opinion on this. This could get interesting.

Do you use them?

Why or why not?

Al33

For me it depends on where I will be hunting if I do or not. If I have a pasture or open clear cut I will use them in a set up situation but just walking and calling trying to locate a tom I do not bother carrying them.

hawglips

Banned
No.

I just don't see any need for them. Also, they tend to spook way too many birds, or cause them to hang up.

Arrow3

Depends on where I set up....I have good luck with them 98% of the time....

GA DAWG

I dont..I aint no expert or anything but I've ran em off or had them hang up with decoys out.Mostly on wma land...I have been thinking of trying one of the b-mobiles they have out.Since I got some private land to hunt this year.

silvestris

No, when decoys work, they take the gobbler off of his "A" game and I want my gobbler looking for me when he comes, not distracted by a piece of rubber.

Otherwise I wouldn't use them because of the trouble placing them and taking them up. You can easily be detected placing them. I see those using them discussing the proper placement of their decoys. That is just too darn complicated to think about; I doubt if any "know" what they are talking about; they are just theorizing.

I think they have become a crutch for those who will not put out the effort to learn to properly call. I used them for a while in the 80s when they first came out and they made me feel silly.

blindhog

Although I have stated my feelings in another thread, I may use one this year to get another hunter a gobbler.

My friend who lets me hunt his 5oo acres with him is a paraplegic. No feeling sorry for this man, he will amaze you. He consistantly shoots nice bucks on his place.

But he hunts out of a rhino and hasn't scored yet. I want to set him up a "blind" and put one of those strutters out for him. In his limited mobility situation I feel he needs something to even the playing field. I don't think he's realized it yet. :bounce:

tbgator

Banned
I love my jake decoy Bam Bam. He has closed the deal on several good gobblers in the right situation. Gotta know when to use him and when not.:cool:

Wetzel

I never liked using decoys until I tried a B-mobile decoy last year. I doubt it'll work everytime, but I'll take mine a few times this spring. I've never seen anything that makes a gobbler run to the gun like my b-mobile decoy did for me last year. Looking forward to trying it out this year.

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Just another tool in the arsenal. I've never seen a bird run from em & I use mine a good bit when the situtation is right. Some birds like to sit out in a pasture or clearcut & wait for the hen to show. Some are just plain suicidal. I'm trying for my first w/ a bow & I hope it will distract him just enough. And as far as dekes being ethical, as much as 3.5 " super shells, chokes tite enough you can't see thru em, cones lengthened,etc. JMHO
& all my hunting is on public land.

capt stan

I used to but have had them hang up too many times on them. I mostly hunt swamps in thick stuff though. Since I stopped using them...I'm killing more birds!!! I used my decoys for Sabrina to target shoot at :bounce:

Now if I ever find myself with a chance to hunt open ground..I might try it again, ( I'd have to go buy some)but to be honest. I have lost confidence in them (in my type of terrain)

whitetaco02

I sure wish I had put a hen out today. I had a gobbler come in about 60 yards looking for me but would not come any closer. I HONESTLY feel if I had a decoy out he would have presented me a shot. His head was REDDER than a tomato if that is possible!!:banana:

nuddin

Yes, when I can get a chance.

Frank,
You know I like decoys. Wish I had time to get them up this morning, could have closed the deal.

The Horned Toad

I sometimes put out a whole flock of 6 or 7.

I get the bigest thrill when I have pretty boy out and a gobbler comes in spitting and drumming and starts fighting him and knocks him off his stick.

Gsutn22

I had a young jake come into the field this morning from about 200 yards and took one look at my stand up hen. He took off towards it on a dead sprint. At least until someone walked into the field with blaze orange on. I wondered why at about 75 yards he hit the skids and ran the other way.

trkyburns

I hardly ever use em. Even when i carry it with me I find myself not wanting to set it up. They are too much trouble and get in the way when in my vest and i need to put my back up against a tree quickly. If you position yourself so the bird is in range by the time you see him, you don't need a decoy - at least not on ridges where i mostly hunt. The only time i use one is when i set up in a field edge mid-day and hope a turkey will show up.

bilgerat

Senior
depends on the set up, I use them in open areas like fields n foodplots but not in the woods. not sure why thou:huh: