Ocellated Turkey Hunt......Campeche, Mexico

Gadget

Anyone here ever hunted Ocellated Turkey ?

I'm planning a trip to Campeche, Mexico. If any of yall have ever hunted em let me know, I have a few questions concerning taking a firearm through customs and bringing the bird back through. Also would like to know what outfitters you've used and the type of hunt you did.

Lovett Williams has done a lot of work with the Ocellated and has developed some new calls.

Last edited:

Randy

I have not but I have a friend that has. He goes hunting all over the world. You met him in Nashville. I'll give you Danny's number if you want to talk to him.

Jorge

Gadget said:
Lovett Williams has done a lot of work with the Ocellated and has developed some new calls.
Yes he has and I would recommend you go with his outfit. I have not hunted Ocellateds, but a friend of mine has hunted with him a couple of times. In fact, he is scheduled to be back this week from down there. From what I understand, they are having increasing success with using calls on Ocellated. There is an article about it in the Turkey Call magazine I got this week. However, don't be surprised if it is suggested that you shoot a bird off the roost in order for you to be successful. When I was looking into an Ocellated hunt a few years ago (when they were first developing/researching calls for Ocellateds), I was told that baiting and roost shooting were the only meathods used at that time. However, the following year they were going to try calling for the first few days and then roost shoot if necessary.

I believe calling is becoming the method of choice with some outfitters now.

Good luck,

Jorge

EON

If your planning to carry a gun across the border be prepaired for a major hassel. I went duck hunting a few years ago and one of the guys carried his gun. He was checked several times by customes, police and even the military. It may be better now but was sure a hassel then.

Jorge

EON said:
If your planning to carry a gun across the border be prepaired for a major hassel. I went duck hunting a few years ago and one of the guys carried his gun. He was checked several times by customes, police and even the military. It may be better now but was sure a hassel then.
EON has a good point. Another friend of mine has hunted Goulds twice and after the first time, he decided it was better to have the outfitter/guide provide shotguns the second time.

shootpse

Banned
ocellated turkeys

i seen a hunt on the outdoor channel where a local indian guide made a homemade call and called in 2 big male birds with this call but you are right roost hunting is the most popular way to hunt them be prepared to spend a couple of thousand dollars to go on this hunt once everything is said and done!!!! goodluck!!!

Mossy0ak270

I just read an article on this is "North American Hunter" magazine. It was by Bryce M. Towsley. He and his huntin partner's guns were confiscated by customs. He said cause of a uncrossed "T" on their gun permits. I don't know what that means. He even said he thought his huntin partner had been arrested cause she was gone for a few hrs. It was a very interesting read though. This hunt was out of Campeche, Mexico too.

Mossy0ak270

I also meant to say as others have said that the traditional way of hunting them is shooting them off the roost. This is the way Mr. Towsley hunted them there. Thats just the way they do it.

Gadget

Thanks for the replies.

Randy I remember Danny from the show, I would like to talk to him. Pm me with his number.

Thanks for the tips Earl, we might only take our bows. If we can't get one with the bow then we would use one of their shotguns. Maybe a bow would be easier to take?

I know until recently they only shot them by either roost shooting or by setting up on food sources and waiting them out, but now it's been demonstrated that the birds will come to a call so we will be calling and setting up on food sources, roost shooting will be a last resort for us.

Lovett is using a modified camp owl hooter as one of the calls.

The season runs from Decmeber thru April, we're planning on going in Jan or Feb so we have plenty of time to plan.

Yeah PSE these hunts usually run 2500.00 to 3500.00 but I was offered a deal I just couldn't pass up, it'll be much less than that!

If I get one he'll be comming back for a full mount so I need to look into procedures for that too.

Last edited:

Arrow3

Good luck on your hunt Gadget!!

I personaly really don't have any intrest in killing one of those turkeys....I don't know why...I guess its just all the money you have to spend to get one...They sure are a strange looking bird...

Gadget

I wouldn't spend all that money to kill one either, and I'm not. Like I said I was offered a deal I couldn't pass up.

I would rather hunt a Goulds, it looks and acts like a normal turkey. The ocellated is more like a peacock to me.

Nitro

Banned
GL,

I am interested. I will forego the trip I am planning to hunt with folks I know or at least meet before the trip.

Let me know when a deposit is required.

AG

Gadget

gobblinglawyer said:
Gadget,
This is THE place for the Gould's. We're planning a hunt there next late April/early May. Let me know if anyone here might be interested.

www.durangoranch.com
I'm interested too. Pm me with more details.

Wow, that looks like a first class place for sure. I would love to go with you guys.

I'll have to see how this Ocellated hunt pans out. Were planning on doing some off-shore fishing while were there too, it's not just a turkey trip.

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
bugs

I understand those osie turkeys have a bug on 'em that you don't want on you. Saw a video of Jim Zumbo hunting down there and he recommends spraying the dead bird and waiting a few minutes before picking it up. Believe I would spray it, bag it and spray inside the bag, tie it up for awhile, then look him over. Sort of like a hornets nest.

bull0ne

Banned
I would be careful about carrying firearms, i once read there were 56 people at that time in mexican jails for firearms violations.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here's the deal

They don't come up to hunt our turkeys, and I wont go down there to hunt theres! When you leave the country, you're at the mercy of who knows who?

Jorge

Gadget said:
...I have a few questions concerning taking a firearm through customs and bringing the bird back through...
Gadget,

Traveling internationally with firearms is not as bad as it is being made out here. Although, Mexico is a little more troublesome from what I have heard. You just need to thoroughly research the requirements for the country you are going to. No matter what country you are going to, and no matter what their requirements are, the number 1 thing you don't want to forget before you leave is to get your guns registered via Form 4457 with the US Customs office. Without the form, you will not be allowed to bring your guns back into the US. It will take about 5 minutes at the US Customs office near the Atlanta airport (but do it in advance of your departure).

You may want to post the same questions on some other forums where more international hunters post. Namely http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve. If you can't get the answers to your questions or if you just want to talk to someone who has hunted in Mexico, sent me a PM and I will put you in touch with two friends of mine who have hunted turkeys in Mexico on a couple of different occasions.

George

Gadget

Thanks Jorge.

I'm no stranger to Mexico or Central America.

I've traveled South of the Boarder a lot, just never for hunting. Been to Mexico about a dozen times, Costa Rica several times, Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, Bahamas, Caicos Islands and last year spent two weeks in the Dominican Republic.

All of those trips were spent either fishing, Scuba Diving, and/or Surfing. Infact I caught a 500-600lb Blue Marlin in Puerto Vallarta next to Las Marietas islands. Faught him for 3 hours 45 minutes on a small (old) reel with 50lb test and standing up the whole time, never sat in a chair! He spooled me 4 or 5 times. I couldn't move my arms for a week after that!! We weren't fishing for Marlin. We were going for Sails and ran into a school Skip Jack Tuna. While reeling one in we saw the big boy come up to eat one. So we live lined one of the Tuna's we caught and within minutes he took it on one of the sailfish rods. I consider it a miracle I got that fish in. He weighed 525 on a box scale but his tale and bill were touching the ground. We carried the fish through some family's living room while they were all sitting on the couch watching tv, they had the scale behind the house..........lol.

This is a pic of one of the first runs, I'm just holding on watching the line burn off. Had to keep pouring water over the reel to keep it cool, I had blisters on my hand it got soo hot.

Last edited: