I have never found...

Arrow3

A turkeys nest....You would think all the time I spend in the woods that I would have stumbled up on one...Ive always said Id like to find one, get a few eggs out and take them to an incubater....Have me some pet turkeys...

Oh well, Ive got Jessica... :fine: ::gone:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have stumbled up on three over the years, one on Paulding Forest and 2 in Heard. The 2 in Heard were in the same basic spot 2 years in a row.

Jim

sgsjr

Banned
I have plowed up a few breaking land in April. Thats an awfull feeling. We we plowing a field in Talbot about 2 weeks agoe and ran over a nest with 15 eggs.

Jody Hawk

I've never found one either Brandon. I've bumped into hens in thick spots and after they ran off I'd check the area for the nest but never have found one. I wouldn't rob her nest though, would just like to inspect it and count the eggs.

QuakerBoy

I found one a couple years ago. had about 11 eggs on it

MoeBirds

Arrow3 said:
A turkeys nest....You would think all the time I spend in the woods that I would have stumbled up on one...Ive always said Id like to find one, get a few eggs out and take them to an incubater....Have me some pet turkeys...

It's interesting you should mention(in jest ofcourse) getting a few eggs and take them to an incubater. :bounce: ......since I'm rereading Tenth Legion and Mr. Kelly writes about some old timber-cruisers who had done that back in the day and hinted that the results where not good!!! I think in the context of his story he was making some distinctions between wild-turkeys and domestic-birds and their possible interbreeding!?

..........ps, when I saw the time you posted this thread I jumped up out of my chair :hair: thinking I was late for class.. when it said: "Today 04:54" !!!!
.......only then realizing it said "AM:" ?! :eek: "Dude that's either really early or really late" :bounce: ?!........

Arrow3

Greg Lewis said:
It's interesting you should mention(in jest ofcourse) getting a few eggs and take them to an incubater. :bounce: ......since I'm rereading Tenth Legion and Mr. Kelly writes about some old timber-cruisers who had done that back in the day and hinted that the results where not good!!! I think in the context of his story he was making some distinctions between wild-turkeys and domestic-birds and their possible interbreeding!?

..........ps, when I saw the time you posted this thread I jumped up out of my chair :hair: thinking I was late for class.. when it said: "Today 04:54" !!!!
.......only then realizing it said "AM:" ?! :eek: "Dude that's either really early or really late" :bounce: ?!........

I had just got home from work :hair:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I have came accross a couple. Back in VA, walking along a hard wood bottom, I about stepped right on a hen on the nest less than a foot away. When I saw her (she was still as a statue) I just kept moving and set up where I could see her. 30 minutes later, she got up and fed off. Snuck in and took a peek and she had 13 eggs in the nest. Have yet to find one here.

Killdee

Here you go, walked by this one 3 times within 2' till the hen spooked and scared the snot out of me.

Attachments

• hens nest resize.jpg
    hens nest resize.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 178

tknight

Killdee said:
Here you go, walked by this one 3 times within 2' till the hen spooked and scared the snot out of me.

I know that feeling, the one I found was a little after 6 yesterday morning, nothing like hearing a hen fly of in the dimly lit woods... ::gone:

bubbafowler

tknight said:
nothing like hearing a hen fly of in the dimly lit woods... ::gone:
Try a flock of about 60 AFTER your already sitting in a deer stand, in the tree above you. Good thing i had more clothes in the truck.--Bubba

AliBubba

Here is a picture from the first hunt at P'dmt WNR this year.

Attachments

• Future birds.jpg
    Future birds.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 77

short stop

growing up cuttin hay we found them all the time --sometimes too late ---you can find them in the woods but its alot like rabbit hunttin --you darn near got to kick a hen off her nest --I have read several of the post here about yall trying an incubator to hatchem out ---A close friend of mine has an incubator and has tried for years to do this with little success --- He told me if the eggs stayed cold for a long period of time before you got them in the oven it was 99% over to start with .SS

Mrs. Arrow3

Arrow3 said:
Have me some pet turkeys...

"Pet"...maybe......"turkey".....I don't think so! :smash: