A big Thankyou to Marty Fischer

Hey Folks: I would like to express my thanks to Marty Fischer, Rick Peluso Jimmy Moore and Lee Howard for their support and assistance for a hunt we went on last Friday. We arranged a Turkey hunt for several Wounded Warriers from the 3rd ID, at Ft. Stewart. Marty and Rick Peluso after a long morning were able to call in a supberb turkey from a long distance. The bird came up from their rear around 10:30. Marty spotted the bird and Rick was able to rotate Cpt Sellers, who has no movement from the chest down into position. Cpt Sears first round was a dud, but he was able to chamber a second round and shoot the bird on a dead run, from 60 yds, through a three strand barbed wire fence. The bird weighed in at 18 pounds, supporting a increadable 12 inch beard and 2.5 inch spurs on both sides. This was Cpt Sears first Eastern Turkey. The first time he has been able to get into the woods since his disability.

If you have a free moment send Marty a message in support of this fantastic event. e safe and good hunting, Sheriff Taylor (aka Andy Taylor).

Attachments

• IMG_0065_3 (1077 x 808).jpg
    IMG_0065_3 (1077 x 808).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 170

Kevin Farr

That's great. That's how people are supposed to act and treat other people. Everyone should be commended for their efforts, both callers and hunters. And another even bigger THANK YOU to the soldiers. Good job guys and God bless you.

DeweyDuck

Now that's a good deal! Wish I could do that for a very deserving vet or any other guy needing help. Your atta boy's are in the mail!!!

bowonly02

Great job on taking your turkey and congrats to everyone involved in making this hunt a success for a man how has given so much for our freedom. thanks and god bless:cool:

Dudley Do-Wrong

Fantastic!!! Not enough can ever be done for those who have served so well and given so much of themselves.

Handgunner

Way to go! :clap:

I'd LOVE to see pictures of those 2.5" long spurs!!!! Incredible!

straightshooter

Without question, this was my most memorable day in the turkey woods, and I've been fortunate to have lots of really good ones over the years. What a great experience the Wounded Warrior program is. We hosted three soldiers from the 3rd ID, the first division to enter Baghdad. Each of these guys had suffered injuries in combat, and each of them is still in therapy and taking lots of medication for pain every day.

I was asked to take Capt. Aaron Sears, who is paralyzed from just above the waist down. He has very limited arm movement and his abdominal muscles are pretty much gone. This wonderful young man from Missouri was the head nurse in the Veterans Hospital operating room at Ft. Stewart. He was not ordered to go to Iraq. He volunteered to serve three tours there. Now, that's what I call an American hero.

I won't give you a blow by blow recap of the hunt, but I will tell you that I've never been happier to see a bird go down. Capt. Sear was so happy, he started to cry. It was a very moving moment that I will never forget. By the way, Capt. Sears told me when we said our goodbyes that that day was the first day since his injury that he didn't take any of his pain medicine. He felt so good, he didn't need it. That's special!

Don't let Sheriff Taylor sound like a bunch of other guys did this. Andy Taylor not only guided one of the soldiers that morning, he also prepared a terrific Low Country Boil for lunch. The next day he guided a young man on an NWTF Youth Hunt. Thanks Andy.

We had a tremendous morning with Capt. Sears. He is a delightful man who has sacrificed a lot. I gave each of the soldiers a signed copy of my turkey book, and thanked them for their service and sacrifice.

I will say this. Day like the one with those brave soldiers are great reminders of what our freedom really means, and I was very proud to have been a part of it.

Marty Fischer aka straightshooter

Bram

God Bless you and the Warriors:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Gerry

The Horned Toad

Congrats to Cpt. Sears and Marty. What an awesome way to give back to a soldier.

straightshooter

Hey guys. The bird weighed only 16 lbs, 13 oz. Had 12 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs (not 2.5 - Sheriff Taylor had a typo).

Kevin Farr

Hey guys. The bird weighed only 16 lbs, 13 oz. Had 12 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs (not 2.5 - Sheriff Taylor had a typo).

He might not be a heavyweight (I'm a little light in the loafers myself), but that's an awesome beard and spurs for sure. Congrats again !!

Jake Allen

Good story with a great ending.
Hat's off to you guys for making this happen.
Classy thing to do.