Blind calling

Dudley Do-Wrong

How many of you do any blind calling and what has been your success using this method? Personally, I don't know what else to do when they aren't gobbling and I have had good success this year using this method. I've got a bad shoulder and it's extremely painful to shoot so I have been letting my son do the shooting while I do the calling and he has taken 2 birds.

dutchman

I can say without fear of contradiction that I have never, in 30 years of hunting, been successful in calling in a single blind. :D

OK, now that we have that out of the way, I use that method a lot but my success rate (measured by getting a gobbler to answer, but not necessarily come in) is not so high. I have had it happen though and have called in and killed birds as a result.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I blind call alot but it never seems to work. This is the time when the bird either sneeks in silent and bust me, or i get up to leave take 2 steps and he bust me.

Jody Hawk

I have had success with it, in fact, I killed my only bird this year blind calling. I was in my B.F.Grant honeyhole on opening morning of their season. There were several others in there with me blowing hooters and crow calls trying to get a bird to gobble. They gave up and left but I knew from years of hunting this area that the birds were there they just weren't gobbling that morning. So I built me a blind and sat up and started calling and 30 minutes later I had a nice two year old. I also killed my biggest bird yet blind calling one evening on B.F.Grant WMA. Check out this thread.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=17248&highlight=blind+calling

short stop

I have a very high rate on birds taken every year thats about 24 yrs on the books -- I set up in food plots and will wait,em out for 2-3 hrs after they fly off the roost and go the other way -eventually they will come back --Text book hunts are few and far between --if you can limit out every year hunting hot gobblin birds ,that run in and get smoked please shoot me a pm and tell me where they are at ---- :bounce: SS

DaddyPaul

David much like shortstop said I am notorious for just hanging in there where they like to be. I get to hunt literally every morning of our season and there are many, many times that I am not on one off the roost. I will cut and run for a little while hoping to find a bird that is still hot and then I plop down somewhere where I know birds like to hang out and start calling. I usually will call sparingly for about 10 minutes and then go into some loud cutts just to see if one is lurking/sneaking in on me and will shock gobble. I have taken many birds and called in many birds this way. The biggest problem is not having patience and getting busted when you throw in the towel. At least that is what I think. That and $2.35 will get you ONE gallon on 87 octane gas in Lake Butler!

Dudley Do-Wrong

DaddyPaul, you got any of them Osceolas in your area of Florida?

DaddyPaul

Oh yeah!!!!!!! When the commission drew the "line of delineation" my county fell just to the South of it. They are "certifiable" Osceolas. Having said that we kill some birds that look like a "hybrid" and others that look like Osceolas. None of them have the real strong white barring like Easterns but some have more black than others.

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
Both "Pesky Gobblin Critters" that I killed this year have been while calling from a blind. I rarely ever chase a gobbler or move around to find them- guess the two blood clots in my right leg I've had has slowed the old man down.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Just hit the strut areas and put out a few calls, sparse and low. We have had good success tag teaming when a buddy sets up about 30 yds away and call at each other. Birds think they are more than one hen out there. Busted countless times with the silent birds. Had one come within 5 ft of me from behind, once I saw him... ::gone: Man they are fast :cry:

Mossy0ak270

I called in my first bird ever this year blind calling. I had only been turkey huntin a handful of times. I couldn't get any to gobble and the wind was pickin up so I set up in the egde of a clearcut and logging road. Worked for me!

Dudley Do-Wrong

This is the first year I have seriously tried it and am very satisfied with the results, especially since I'm not hearing any early morning gobbling.

hawglips

Banned
When they're not gobbling but I know some are in there, I do it a lot. I bet almost 3/4 of the birds I've called in to the gun were taken more or less that way.

It's a very effective method -- and they don't always sneak up silently. I killed one of the hardest gobbling birds I've ever killed this way. Just set up and blind called for a while, and before I knew it a bird was double and triple gobbling at me and came in a spitting and drumming and really put on a show. And quite frankly, you will probably hear a more gobbles if you sit still for a spell than you do walking around stirring up the woods. And once one gobbles, you can always move on him if you feel you need to.

Hal

Last edited:

Dudley Do-Wrong

This year, I've gotten to where I hardly run and gun except when I am moving from one predetermined set-up to another. I knew where they were roosting at one time and that was usually my first set-up but if they are there they aren't making a sound anymore. I normally have a plan of where I'm going to hunt with a couple of fall-back areas. I usually give each area an hour or so, longer if I feel confident. I have seen birds almost every time I've been out this year, a few of them were birds I walked up on. So I know I have an abundance of birds and I'm trying to be patient. I've let my son take 2 and I only have one, I want one more and I know there are more toms in the area.

Junebug

I've had "so-so" success blind-calling and I absolutely agree w/whoever said blind-calling often turns into a gobble-fest if toms are within earshot of your location. You can always move closer if need be.

Brad

I blind call some but i dont like it that much. Hunting is supposed to be fun and like cuz said i aint sittin over no green patch. That being said i would probably kill more birds if i did more of it. I turkey hunt for the gobbles i can sit in a deer stand all day and not get bored but after 30 minutes of no gobbles i got to go find one that wants to talk. I guess its a good thing i rate turkey hunting success by birds worked rather than birds killed.