Here's my 7th Ga longbeard with a bow!

wack em

I had never stepped foot on this piece of property until wed. afternoon aroud 7 pm. I parked at the farmers top gate and quickly made a big loop around the 150 acres to get a feel of the land and try to spot a bird before flyup. I found out quickly that the farmer who told me I could hunt does not own any woods. Yep 150+ acres of hay field and pasture, surrounded my a swamp on three sides. I didn't locate any birds so I just picked out a high spot to listen at before daylight.
Daylight approached thursday morning and i hear one about 350 yards off gobble 5 or 6 times and its starting to get pretty light so i decide to setup right there and see what will happen since i cant hear anything else. I setup the blind and deks and gave him a few tree yelps and he continued to gobble but would never directly answer me. I switch to the glass after flydown and he likes it:banana:, the bird was about 300 or so yards across the property line on a nole in the middle of a swamp, and didn't seem to be commin so i decided to give him a few gobbles following my yelps. This seemed to fire him up even more and i could quickly tell that he had cut the distance in half. Great! I set up my video camera and get it ready. Then he gobbles way down the fence line to my right. The bird has already covered 200 yards or more across a swamp but still has a creek and a pasture fence left to cross. I begin watching the fenceline to my right waiting for him to pop out. 20 min went by and i haven't seen or heard a peep:huh:, did he disappear:huh:, well i let my guard down and this is were it gets good. I hear a bird drum and look to my left to see him in full strut 5 yards from the decoys:eek:,the bird came out 150 yards opposite of where he last gobbled, I had made up my mind before the hunt that i was gonna get the bird on video or not kill him at all, so i reached up and hit record, the bird walked right up behind elvis and stuck his head up between his tail fethers like he was gonna peck him in the back of the head, then he strutted around to his left side and saw something about him he didn't like. He quickly dropped strut and began that fast paced head bobbin walk to get out of there, i stopped him with a cluck at 20 yards and let the 3 1/2 rocket sledgehammer eat. He ran 30 yards, hit the pasture fence, rolled under it, down the hill and into the creek. I gave him 30 min and when i got there he was out cold:cool:. He only had 7/8" spurs and a 10 1/4 in beard but it was one of my most exciting hunts. I was especially glad to get him since the land owner had told me that his turkeys couldn't be killed, :rofl:, he said hunt them all you want but i there are some more boys hunting them too and they cant be killed. I ran into three more strutters before i got back to the truck, and now the landowner wants me to take his son:cool:
All I can say is thank you Lord for another great turkey season!

Oh and the video was only about 20 secounds long but it turned out really good, i watched it 100 times yesterday and showed it to my lil bro when he got home at lunch. I left in the in vcr and went to show someone last night and realized that my momma had accidentally taped over it with a soap opera:banginghe:cry:.

Attachments

• ab4.jpg
    ab4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 480
  • ab3.jpg
    ab3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 478
  • ab1.jpg
    ab1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 478

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Congrats Blake on a great hunt and story as well!!!! You did great with that bow this year! Now I am asking for you to bring Elvis down and help.;) Tim

miller

Congrats on another! Tell your mom to get her own tapes.....

sman

Congrats!! Great story and great season with a string and sticks to boot.

Arrow3

WTG Blake!!

P&Y FINALY

Congradulations! Nothing like bowhunting turkeys (or anything else for that matter) Thats a huge accomplishment.

DaddyPaul

Dude, you are the man!

I haven't even been in the turkey woods in Florida this year (with a weapon in my hand at least). Your posts have gotten me fired up about hunting turkeys again.

I have my blind set up right now on the edge of a big hayfield where an unsuspecting longbeard is sleeping not too far away.

I am as excited about tomorrow morning as I have been about anything in a while. I did kill one years ago with a bow (without a blind) but have been smacking 'em with a scattergun ever since.

Congrats again on an awesome season!

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Think you could stop around Royston,and give a few lessons?Way to go man!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:
Hey,Coach has some nice looking pasture land,and I have about 50 acres REAL close to him.;)

tbgator

Banned
Man, you make that bowkillin look too easy:bounce:I may have to break out my old Matthews and try my luck. But I have to start seein more turkeys first:bounce:You done good kid.:cool: