They burned today

trailhunter

Good thing I limited out early, they just burned one of my main hunting tracts this morning, after having been told to do it for the last 5 months and not doing anything. :mad:
They picked the complete worst time for turkey nesting, not to mention as wet as the woods still are from last week. The burn looks horrible and just got the high spots. Complete waste of money and did nothing but wipe out areas where the hens would be nesting. I had seven different hens on this place in the fields alone last weekend. I just hope we get some secondary nesting on this place. :banginghe The guy overseeing the timber management won't be back out there.

th

robertyb

They will nest again probably. I have seen a lot of burning going on in the last few weeks.

Other than the nests the birds love burned over areas.

trailhunter

Yeah, I know the birds like burned over areas, but I'm done for the season, so what little growth that will come back isn't going to benefit me this season.

The problem is the burn is horrible, most of the good fuel (straw & dry mass) has been wasted on the spots that were high/dry enough to burn. Too much water out there and moisture out there to have gotten the majority of the thick areas. This is the second time this guy has let this crew burn during a wet period and the reason we had to do a secondary burn after just burning last year.:banginghe

th