opening day

weekender

The forecast last night was not good, T-storms for opening day. Up until this year we have had 200 acres right next to our house to hunt. There aren't a lot of turkeys there, but we did OK. Not any more, big money development now owns our lease and when I asked them about hunting, NO was the answer. So we set the alarm for 4:00AM with plans of going to some state game lands. Hunting public land after having a place to yourself is a last resort. It's like going sweet water fishing after having a good taste of salt water. It just don't have the sting, the umpth.
We had scouted this place back at the end of Feb. and seen a little sign. Nothing to lose sleep over but there had been a turkey there at some point before we got there. When the radio alarm went off this morning, the first words out of it were "turkey season is upon us",ironic, it was a commercial of Ken's, my good buddy at Carolina Outdoor Sports. I thought this could be a good omen. We loaded up the bikes on the back of the truck and drove 1 1/2 hours. During the drive we saw several other turkey hunters on the road but none parked until we got WHERE?
You guessed it, not close to where we were going, he was in our parking spot. We parked beside him any way. We would be a long way from the truck and if he was where we were going, we would move on even further. We hopped on our bikes in the dark, rode hard for about 15 minutes, then walked another 15 just as the first rays of light brightened the new day. We were in luck as the other hunters were no where in site. Well almost lucky, a pack of coon dogs were treed on the land next to us, and not far away. We would hear no gobbles this AM. We set up anyway, and the dogs soon hushed. Most days we hunt separate places, sometimes a couple hundred yards, most days miles apart. This place was new to us and we decided to hunt together, same tree, she faced north and me south. All was quite except for the roar of mosquitoes and we lit our thermo cells, the skeeters were gone. We called a little, but nothing answered. We waited. The guy that turned me on to turkey hunting back in the 80's said "patience will kill more turkeys than all the calls you have". About 8:45, a sleep deprived Kay whispered she was gonna close her eyes for a few minutes, something I have done many times myself. On several occasions, turkey calls have woke me up. At about 9:00, I see movement in front of me. They're coming. I reach behind me and touch Kay. We already had it planned exactly how she was to move around to my side of the large oak in the event multiple gobblers appeared. She eased around like she had done it a thousand times before. We were now side by side and three gobblers were about to pass by. At 60 yds it looked like they would veer off but then they turned to pass a little closer. I SCREWED UP. Heck I had a range finder and had ranged some trees in front of me but they were to my left. They came into an opening that I thought was 35 yds, thought wrong cause it was 48+. I shoot a 3" gun, Kay has a tight choked 2 3/4". Her max is about 40 yds and I have let the excitement cause a mis-judgment. We wait for two of the turkey's heads to raise. I count, one, two, three BOOM!. My turkey goes to flopping and Kay's, well Kay's didn't. My mistake has educated her bird and he will be tuff to call next time. We wait another hour but the constant thunder has now been accompanied by the much needed rain. We have a 2 bird each limit, and the rest of the season. We'll getem!!!!!

GregsJake4-12-08.jpg

Last edited: