Jud Ripped another with the Archery Equipment!

wack em

We hunted together Saturday morning and had to leave a Strutter on a powerline at 9:30 because he had to be at a ball game:banginghe. We made plans to be in there early on Sunday morning and setup close on him. We arrived at the property around 5:15 and made a quick 45 minute walk to where we were standing the morning before when we spotted the strutter. We quickly realized that the river we were going to have to cross was too deep due to all the rains and we would have to settle for setting up on a hay field just across the river from the powerline the bird was strutting in. We get setup in the double bull with elvis out in front and wait another 45 for gobble time. The crows started up and nothing:huh:, we waited 5 min and were about to gobble ourselves to break the silence and bring the woods to life when he fired off about 150 yards behind us across the river on the edge of the powerline. We were hoping that he would be on the edge of the field we were setup in but he wasn't so we decided we would have to make him mad to get him to cross the river. For the next 10 minutes every time he would gobble we would cut him off with a gobble, and each time he would cut us back off:bounce:, this went on and he got more fired up so we threw in a few tree calls, we quickly heard him fly down, onto the powerline, about the same time four hens flew down into the field we were in from across the field. We knew then that the hens had roosted away from him in the field we were in and we knew that we were in business. We gobble a few times and then we hear him fly across the river:banana: and he lands about 150 yards out. He began strutting and working towards the hens. We gobble at him again and he sees the deks, he folded up the strut and began a slow but steady death walk from 150 yards out all the way to 10 yards. When he got to ten yards Jud came to full draw and smoked him:cool:, he broke a hip and the bird hopped to 40 yards and stopped. When he did Jud shot him again putting him down for the count!:bounce:
It was a textbook hunt and i got it on video!

He had 10 1/2" Beard

and 1 1/8 sharp pink spurs

If I can figure out how to post a video I will this weekend when I get home.

Attachments

• TURKEYS 022.jpg
    TURKEYS 022.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 289

The Fever

congrats on a great bird, i hope to get after them sometime soon and add a bow kill to my tally. :cool:

dirtroad

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now I know why you shoot so good with that bow,you hunt with TWO professionals.
Ya'll killling me.
Congrats Judd!!!

Hunter Haven

Nice job once again..

:yeah:

wack em

Now I know why you shoot so good with that bow,you hunt with TWO professionals.
Ya'll killling me.
Congrats Judd!!!

You've got that right I had a couple of the best teachers a guy could ask for:bounce:

wack em

Makes a big difference when you have birds to shoot at daily:huh:

Public Relations man:bounce:, do the work in the off season getting plenty of permission, and you too will have plenty of birds to hunt when the season starts next year;)

Weren't you the one boasting that you had thousands of acres to hunt before the season:huh:, I promise you we dont have more than 1500 acres between the two of us, but it is decent land and we know how to kill what is there:bounce:

tbgator

Banned
Public Relations man:bounce:, do the work in the off season getting plenty of permission, and you too will have plenty of birds to hunt when the season starts next year;)

Weren't you the one boasting that you had thousands of acres to hunt before the season:huh:, I promise you we dont have more than 1500 acres between the two of us, but it is decent land and we know how to kill what is there:bounce:

I do have thousands of acres to hunt but not exclusive to me. All you need is the right 1500 acres. Last year we killed 10 off of 700 acres of a 2600 acre lease because it was loaded with birds and we had it to ourselves.You don't kill bird after bird day after day unless you have the right property to hunt on. And shooting them with the bow keeps the noise down, right:bounce: The access to lots of birds is just as important as the hunting skills is all I'm saying and I'm right.

wack em

I do have thousands of acres to hunt but not exclusive to me. All you need is the right 1500 acres. Last year we killed 10 off of 700 acres of a 2600 acre lease because it was loaded with birds and we had it to ourselves.You don't kill bird after bird day after day unless you have the right property to hunt on. And shooting them with the bow keeps the noise down, right:bounce: The access to lots of birds is just as important as the hunting skills is all I'm saying and I'm right.

You are right as always:whip:, if there are no turkeys were you are hunting then you can't kill turkeys.
We try to never kill more than two off of a tract of land. Of the five we have killed this year they have all been off of different tracts of land except for our double.

miller

Congrats on another! Nice bird.