What to do: Birds roosting across a creek which is the property line?

Thanatos

This past Saturday morning I hunted near a creek which also represents the property line. This creek is 20 yards across in most areas. The birds roost on either side of this creek, but lately they have been on the opposing property. My side of the creek is surrounded by hard woods. The other side is hard woods that meet a BIG field they fly down then walk into.

This past Saturday I had three or four birds gobbling that were roosted right on the edge of this creek. I thought for sure at least one would fly down on my side. I used three mouth calls and one friction call to make it seem like there was a flock of hens waiting on one of those sorry jokers to come and take them all! But, all i got was empty promises. They all flew down and went to the field. Your advice is needed!

wack em

Gobble at them, Every time they gobble on the roost gobble right back at them, throw in a couple of tree yelps and a flydown cackle and then gobble some more. If they are dominant they will get mad and come in looking for a fight

deepwater

Try hunting in the evening before fly up time. Set up 100 yards or more away from the creek where they normally roost and try to call them them to you. You might be able to kill him then or at least maybe he'll roost further away from the creek on your property then the next morning get to the creek before daylight and cut him off while he is going to the field you mentioned. If you are between him and where he wants to go he'll be much easier to call in.

Thanatos

Gobble at them, Every time they gobble on the roost gobble right back at them, throw in a couple of tree yelps and a flydown cackle and then gobble some more. If they are dominant they will get mad and come in looking for a fight

I forgot to mention i used my gobble call too. They loved gobbling at that more than my hen yelps and cutts.

Thanatos

Try hunting in the evening before fly up time. Set up 100 yards or more away from the creek where they normally roost and try to call them them to you. You might be able to kill him then or at least maybe he'll roost further away from the creek on your property then the next morning get to the creek before daylight and cut him off while he is going to the field you mentioned. If you are between him and where he wants to go he'll be much easier to call in.

I think I may try this. I wonder if I just called once maybe twice if they would come on over and investigate?

tbgator

Banned

This is the option I would try. Sounds like they will come in from the field side in the afternoon and fly up on opposite side but at 20 yds you may get a shot across the creek at dusk.:cool:

Arrow3

This is the option I would try. Sounds like they will come in from the field side in the afternoon and fly up on opposite side but at 20 yds you may get a shot across the creek at dusk.:cool:

Across the creek is someone else's property....:huh:

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Do some realistic hen noise at fly down time. Use a turkey wing or your cap to simulate wing noise. Then scratch in the leaves. Cluck and purr softly and maybe throw in a very few soft yelps.

Thanatos

I will try all these options. Thanks guys for your help. If any one else has any suggestions please post them!

hawglips

Banned
I'd try a simulated gobbler fight. Since its a normal thing for them to fly down and spar for the first few minutes of the day, you might be able to call them down to your side if they think a fight is on.

If that doesn't work, I'd spend as much time later in the day in that spot, and would try a late afternoon hunt if needed.

DeweyDuck

tips

Get yourself an old windup alarm clock. After dark, walk across to the other side and place the clock, which is set for 7:00 am, about 100 yards from the creek towards the field. Just be in your spot with your gun up at 6:59!!!
BTW, donate the clock to charity!!

Oh well, you can at least dream about it!

rutandstrut

I would get close to the Creek on my side and use a Single Hen Decoy, positioned so that the Gobblers could see it from their roost. I would then set-up off to the side from the Decoy and sit very still. When it began to get light I would either wait until they Gobble or make one or two clucks! If they answer, I would make one more Cluck and then put the call down. I would not make another call to these Gobblers. It is hard to resist the urge to call more, but if you do they will probably go the other way! The only way I would call more is if I hear Hens and then I would get agressive trying to get the Hen(s) to drag the Gobblers across the Creek. If the other side is someone elses property I would not cross the creek or shoot across the creek for any reason without permission! Resist the urge it isn't worth it!

Thanatos

I would get close to the Creek on my side and use a Single Hen Decoy, positioned so that the Gobblers could see it from their roost. I would then set-up off to the side from the Decoy and sit very still. When it began to get light I would either wait until they Gobble or make one or two clucks! If they answer, I would make one more Cluck and then put the call down. I would not make another call to these Gobblers. It is hard to resist the urge to call more, but if you do they will probably go the other way! The only way I would call more is if I hear Hens and then I would get agressive trying to get the Hen(s) to drag the Gobblers across the Creek. If the other side is someone elses property I would not cross the creek or shoot across the creek for any reason without permission! Resist the urge it isn't worth it!

This was going to be my exact tactic this Friday or Saturday if I can hunt this property this weekend. Thanks again for all the help.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have had this same problem. I finaly killed a bird by doing the late afternoon thing.
I slipped in very carefully and called very little. Scratching in the leaves when they left the field sealed the deal.