Bad Year,anyone Else?

BASS1FUN

I HAVE NOT PULLED THE TRIGGER:shoot: ANYONE ELSE HAVING A BAD SEASON? HAD AN ENCOUNTER WITH A 12 INCH BEARD MONSTER 3 TIMES BUT I NEEDED MY MUZZLELOADER. USUALLY HAVE A BIRD OR TWO IN THE FREEZER BY NOW:banginghe

CCGA

bad year

Bad year is an understatement:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe Its not that i havent been near birds they just do not want to cooperate at all.The one that did I missed.:cry: Called one in opening day that I could of killed but I was letting my eight year old try to get his first bird.

JACKED UP

Same thing with me. I am glad some other people are having the same problems as me. I have hunted more this season than if I had put all my hunts together from the past 5 seasons. They are gobbling their heads off but just wont work to the call inside 100 yards. I did kill 1 good un' the first week of season and figured I would have already had my limit and been able to call one in for my buddy who is trying to get his first gobbler. Things arent working the way I had planned............

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
not had a bad year...unless you count only having one gobbler within range and then not getting a shot!

several times this year we have heard massive gobbling, but could never get anything to commit

BASS1FUN

My Son And I Could Have Shot Some Jakes Opening Day On Di-lane But @ 30yds He Could Not See Them And I Was Not Going To Shoot If He Couldn't Get His First Bird . He Is 10 And I'm Still Hoping He'll Close The Deal This Year.

Timberchicken

Slow

Killed one 1st week, missed one Saturday. I normally have limited out by now in Georgia and headed to South Dakota for Merriems, but not this year.

huntmstr

Banned
I will say it's been tough due to the henned up nature of the birds, but I guess the Good Lord has blessed me with the ability to get on em and put em down this year more than most. While I haven't been slaying them outright, I have called in lots of birds. And the ones we harvested have been sho-nuff dandy!

tbgator

Banned
The weather this year has been a factor so far in reducing the gobbling we usually hear. Alot of cloudy days have cut it in half and its hard to find birds to work besides the fact they've been henned up too.Hopefully the second half will be better.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

yep been a tough one for me also, i have had 2 jakes in shotgun range and had one encounter with a longbeard, stayed out at 60yards and wouldn't come any closer. i have been on birds everytime i have went i think they still have hens with them!!! another thing that i find strange is i haven't heard a bird gobble after 10am this year i don't know whats going on with that, i usually have killed a couple by this time of the year and some years already limited out. i am starting to get worried!!!

jmharris23

tough is a good analysis of my season. I'm just about to give in, but I hate to not keep trying

wooly

The gobbling has been way down for me and it has made it really tuff. I have had one close encounter in which I had a B-Mobile out and the bird that came was slipping in quietly and when he saw big 'B' he took off.
I blame myself on one other occasion in which I should have stayed where I was longer. In hind site I know I did not devote enough time to letting a bird find me. But yes it has been tuff for me too.:banginghe

blindhog

I have heard guys say they don't turkey hunt because it's too easy, seriously.
I need to go where they tried it.
bagged one so far, this time last year I had limited.
Not giving up yet.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
could have killed a jake opening weekend but let him go. Shot twice at a running gobbler but scope was off(long story). last 3 weeks i've heard or saw birds but they ain't coming in. Time's running out....:banginghe

C

Cane_Creek

Slow season for me. Killed 2, missed 1, called in 2 for other hunters (which one was missed).

The weather has been a factor in my area. We didn't have a nice clear morning the first 10 days of the season, and the birds have been silent for the most part.

They seemed to turn on somewhat this past weekend, although I didn't pull the trigger, had a lot of action.

I feel good about later this week.

BubbaD

Man oh man....guess my standards arnt high enough to hear all this talk. Especially from those who have taken one. To me, just to hear one is successful and to take one a bonus. I have taken one this year so it has been an awesome season. To be upset about not having a limit is being a bit arrogant I think but everyone is different. Be thankful for the success you have had and the opportunity to go. I had the chance to go this morning before work and was fortunate enough to call one up to about 60 yards. He got to the creek and went his way....I got up and went to work. Successful hunt in my book.
Now I guess to be online with dudes topic here...in comparison to last season and the past few seasons....the hunting has been a bit tougher in my areas...in one area in particular extremely tough. I have had to try some new things and work a bit harder. Oh well good luck to all the rest of the season! Stay after them! :cool:

tyler1

tough is a good analysis of my season. I'm just about to give in, but I hate to not keep trying

I feel your pain. The first 2 weeks they were gobbling good after that nothing. I know they are there but just something about hunting birds that never make a sound just that leaves me feeling empty.

C

Cane_Creek

Just saying it's been slow compaired to past seasons. I'd be lying if I said anything different.

JBax26

I've had a rough year but it's been my fault. I've heard plenty of gobbling but I can't seem to close the deal. I hadn't called a longbeard in all year until Sunday morning and I called 4 in and still came out empty handed. I flat out missed two birds at daylight (long story):banginghe. Then about 8:00 a gobbler come in silent behind me and I didn't even know he was there until I heard him walking and when I turned around he saw me and hauled butt. I got up and stepped it off and he was only 8 steps away but the wind was blowing so hard I never heard him come in and he never once gobbled or made a sound. A little while later I called a big bird in and watched him strut about 75 yards away for about an hour and he wasn't coming any closer. He met up w/ some hens and off he went:banginghe:huh:

Curtis-UGA

I have had a terrible season thus far. Started out with having to fire my assistant at work which meant I had to work more on the weekends. Now it seems the few time I get to go the weather is bad are the birds are gobbling 500 yds off my property. It has become well known that I haven't killed one this year and getting down right embarrasing! My dad is trying to scout out birds for me to hunt and not carrying a gun. I had 3 people at church ask me if I had killed one yet. Another guy invited me to hunt his land to see if my luck would change. I think I bumped a bird there! I usually kill 2-3 every year and call in 2-3 more for others. But I am stuck on bird #13. The bad luck with trying to kill #14 started last year when my gun missfired with 3 longbeards @ 30 yds! Then I called in another one that my dad shot before I could get turned when I was supposed to be the shooter! Well it has to get better because it can't get worse!