Yesterday was a great day in the turkey woods!

Jack Flynn

The birds haven't been gobbling on the roost seems like. About eight or so the last couple of days they started late. Yesterday morning I decided to do the decoy setup thing on a small food plot that has a lot of turkey sign in it. Twenty minutes after good light I slowly reach in my left shirt pocket to switch mouth calls and a bird has slipped in behind me and sees my movement, I think. This turkey is close:hair:already coming in to my couple of calls I had made. She clucks very soft several times and I know she is there and possibly had seen me move. She yelps ever so lightly and she cannot be more than 10 yds from me. Then I hear that little "tic", a gobbler spitting and drumming, very close. I wait with my hand still in my shirt pocket not wanting to move a muscle! She sends out three very soft yelps and it feels like she is breathing down my neck. They ease off with her very softly yelping and the gobbler in tow............ About and hour later I see that familiar head periscoping, looking to check out whats going on. A jake walks right into the food plot looking around and acting like a nutty teenager. He eases on. I pick up and go to a high spot to listen for a gobble. No luck. I take out my trusty scratch box and I get a response, one good gobble but several hundred yards away. Then a dog runs down through the woods howling and barking like he's trailing something right in the direction of the gobble.:huh:I go check out another part of the property and lo and behold big gobbler tracks all up and down a road. That's where I'll be in the morning! Now I'm home and BBG gets home from school, she wants to go so I throw in the double bull blind and a couple of chairs and here we go for an afternoon/ evening hunt. We sneak into a food plot and she puts out the decoys. We throw up the blind and settle inside. I take out the scratch box and let three yelps go and when the turkey gobbles down behind us you should have seen the look on her face.:bounce:She said " I heard one daddy"! I told her I thought that was one myself. I called again and we waited. About 15 minutes later I see some movement through one of the ports and it is like 5 steps away from the blind just walking past. A huge fat hen has came to the calling. She meanders past and eases around and BBG is wondering why I don't shoot the turkey? I explain to her why and she gets over it. We hear some coyotes starting to howl and a gobbler sounds off. She says theres another one, I heard it. About 20 minutes before dark a jake comes walking past us going to roost and I guess hoping to pick up a hen to roost with, but it's only me and my BBG trying to fool his daddy. What a wonderful day in the woods.

Arrow3

Sounds like a great day with BBG Jack....:)

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
That was a fine day indeed Jack! Today was pretty good for me too, I didn't kill one but I heard some good turkey music and had a jake play hide and seek with me for a while.

Is that the Barnett scratch box that's driving those gobblers crazy for you? I'm using the one that you gave me more and more and really having some fun with it! You just can't beat a good scratcher!

K80

Yep that sounds like a great day in the woods.