Liberache, a bitter sweet ending!!..(Long Post)

Hunter Haven

Wow, what an incredible morning to wake up to and finish out my season here in Georgia. Many are aware that I've been hunting a tough public land bird that was certainly uncallable, to say the least. I have all but killed this bird on previous hunts, even having him at 30 yards needing two more steps and having two coons come between he and I and start fighting only to allow Liberache to putt and walk off:(. Out of the 7 hunts, I've seen Liberche 6 of those hunts!! Arrow 3 has joined me on a few of the hunts and realized first hand how difficult he was to harvest. This morning made my 7th hunt on this particular bird and it all fell into place, but not without disasters to say the least:confused:. Liberache(The gay gobbler:bounce:) loved to roost out over the lake, but may be anywhere on a 500 yard stretch. He loved to gobble and normally would sound off at 6:20 each morning. His last few days had kind of taken shape of how he was working throughout his mornings, but it wasn't the exact routine each day, but close. Knowing what I had learned, I decided to beach my boat at a particular area and go on up the hill in the dark and wait for him to sound off. Well, I touched down on land, tied my boat off, expanded my jake decoy, put on my mask and gloves, take three steps and ole Lib bust out of a tree at a mere 8-10 yards from my boat:hair::hair::cry:. He flies across the pocket towards the east(dawn is approaching and shedding off daylight) and I see him land in the tip top of a tree directly across from me. I'm so sick at this point, I sit down and just look his way. How in the world had I got so unlucky as to beach my boat exactly where he was roosted(which by the way, he had never roosted here before:confused:) I had blew it! All the effort that I had put into this bird was a waste.... I thought. Since I knew where he was, I stood and circled around the pocket of the lake towards where he landed. I stake my jake decoy at the very back of the pocket(I just didn't feel that it was really needed at this point) and then begin walking up through the woods towards the bird. I get to within 80 yards of him(he's now out on a point of woods surrounded by water on each side) and I decide to sit and wait for him to fly down, hoping he would just walk by me within gun range. Then he gobbles in the tree and I feel better. 5 minutes later he gobbles again. I quickly jump up and move up about 8 yards into a better field of view and sit down.I then here him fly and look to my left and see him pass right by me. He flew into another tree back behind me, in the very back of the pocket out near where I put my jake decoy. He lands and now he's about 60 yards from me. My boat is probably 65 yards on the other side of him and he can see it. I can't physically see him, but I know he is there. Several minutes go by and he HAMMERS with a gobble. 3 more minutes and GAWWWLLL. Then another two minutes and GAAAAWWWWLLLL again, but facing me:hair:. Finally I here him start flapping and look up and he is pitching down coming right towards me. He lands about 15 yards from me, I pull the hammer back, he tops the hill, I cluck one time to stop him, and the 10 gauge went BOOM! I shot him at 10 yards and the wadding hit him in the chest:hair::hair:! I got him. I had finally won the battle with ole Liberache. He was the King of the Woods and had given me 7 of the best hunts of my life:flag: I never would have thought in a million years that this story would have ended this way. What I thought to be a mistake with beaching my boat actually turned out to be a big reason for me harvesting Liberache. He just didn't want to fly back over there and pitched down towards where I was sitting. For the note, the last tree he was in was within 10 yards of where I had placed my jake decoy. It was between him and the boat and I feel like that is what he gobbled at those last 3 times while in the tree. It didn't move, walk, or sound back off to him and I think this made him weery of the situatin, thus flying back towrds me. I'll never know if this is what really coaxed him into flying my way, but I'll always think it had something to do with it. It was just my time to win.

I had asked the Lord for his blessings today and I recieved them. I kneeled down beside my turkey and said a prayer to the Lord. I thanked him for his continued blessings upon my life.:flag:

Sorry for this being so long, but this bird meant a whole lot to me. I couldn't have ended my season with a better bird. Thank you Liberache for the best 7 hunts I've ever had with a turkey:flag:

Pics to come:flag:

:yeah:

Hunter Haven

Liberache ended up being a 3 year old bird.
He weighed in at 17&1/2 Lbs.
His beard length was 10&1/2" long and very THICK.
Liberache's spurs were 1&1/8th" long
==============================

Attachments

• 100_1467.jpg
    100_1467.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 868
  • 100_1469.jpg
    100_1469.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 874
  • 100_1475.jpg
    100_1475.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 868
Last edited:

Hunter Haven

a couple more..

Attachments

• 100_1470.jpg
    100_1470.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 858
  • 100_1474.jpg
    100_1474.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 863

Huntinfool

That's just awesome man! Congrats on bagging a "named" bird. Great story!

Greg Tench

Congrats Haven. Brandon left me a message today that you got him. I know he was a tough one !!!:cool:

B

Beagle Boy

Man, way to go. It's a special day when you kill a fine bird like that on public land. I bet you were on Cloud 9.

In another aspect, I'm really glad you got 'em. Jody was telling me Brandon had this new tactic where he was going to walk backwards to this bird :huh: and I would hate to see it come to that :rofl:

Way to go! You deserve a thumbs up.

Last edited:

Arrow3

BOO-YAH!!!:shoot::shoot:

The gay gobbler is DEAD!!!:banana::banana:

Ive heard hunters say before that they had encountered a un-killable gobbler...I say there is no such a thing...He may be uncallable but sooner or later he's gonna mess up....We basically patterned this gobbler like a deer...He would roost in the same general area every morning and he liked to strut around the points of the lake...We have been so close to this turkey SO many times...I hated I had to work today and couldn't go after him with Haven..I think this bird has been shot at before...He was the most callshy bird I have ever saw....We were within 60 yards of him on Tuesday when a real hen walked up behind us and started clucking....When he heard her, he flew across the cove to get away from the sound....He was a gobbling fool though and Haven said he had been doing a lot of breeding...I think if he didn't see a hen coming to him, he got theheck out of there when he heard the hen talk...He was also a tree hopper...We on more then one occation have saw him tree hopping ...He gobbled in every tree though....I think he liked to fly around and make sure everything looked right before he hit the ground....

Congrats my friend on a tough public land bird!! :yeah: Im glad to have shared a few hunts with you on this tough ole sucker...Im proud of you for sticking with him and knocking his lights out!!!:fine::fine::fine:

tbgator

Banned
Congrats:cool: I know what it feels like to have a named nemesis. I have yet to kill mine although we too have had close encounters.It has to be a great satisfaction.

wack em

Congrats Haven! Way to stick with him!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Congratulations on a fine bird!!

Hunter Haven

you shooting a new england firearms 10 gauge?

Yes it is... I bought this gun many years ago solely for turkey hunting. It is the NEF Pardner SB2 Full Choke...

It's been a good one ;)

Hunter Haven

Thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words:flag:

It was a great ending to my season. I enjoyed 'ole Liberache even though he had some personal issues:bounce::bounce:. All joking aside, I'm gonna miss hereing that joker HAMMERIN the WOODS down:cool::cool:

But hey, I'm happy I walked away with the bitter sweet ending too:fine::fine::banana::banana:

Last edited: