Setting up Moultrie 4.0

Early Riser1

I am setting up my Moultrie Gamewatcher 4.0 for the first time. I have a couple of specific questions:

I heard that it should not face East or West. Is that true, if so, why?

It can be set so that an event will trigger 1, 2 or 3 shots. Which should I choose and why? I have a 1G SD card installed, if that makes a difference.

Which resolution should I choose Low 640 X 480, Med. 1600 x 1200 or High 2336 x 1752

Anything else a beginner should know?

sengdigger

I would use the highest resolution, I think it will hold about 1200. I would use 2 or 3 shots depending on how many days you are going to check it. I've got two memory cards so when i check it I leave the camera in the woods and use my digital camera to view or download the pictures

Oldgold Buck

make sure you don't put the camera too high up on the tree, two feet up is plenty in most cases. Also, you don't want to face the camera east or west because the sun will washout your pics when it is rising and setting but don't get real crazy with it. Most likely you'll be fine if you stay northwest or southeast.

Good luck. Its addictive as all get out!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!
I take a compass with me to help with facing the camera north. as others said a lot depends on how often you'll check the camera. If you check it often( every week) then 3 burst mode is fine. If it's going to sit there awhile i would just set high quality, 1 picture per minute. If you have a lot of nighttime activity the battery drain from your flash can become significant with the 3 burst mode.
I use the laser aim and try to have it 2 feet high at my target distance(usually about 15 feet). The other suggestion is to have the camera aiming down the trail if possible to allow the animal to be in the PIR sensing cone as long as possible.
I've been really happy with my D-40's and i think you'll be surprised how sensitive it is. Crows, songbirds, and squirrels show up quite a bit.

bait man

Banned
I use the same camera. You can buy a solar panel for it to make the batteries last longer.
I would say to set it on high res and multi shot mode.
Its nice having several shots of bucks to look at how big they are.
You can also see when the deer are most active in the area and what is there.
I personal bring my lap top down and download the pictures on my computer. Then delete the files on the sd card and re-install it to my game cam.
You will be very pleased with it and nice to see what animals are around:flag:

Early Riser1

OK, I followed advice given. I set it up this evening in the yard about 15 feet from the feeder and 2 feet off the ground. On 3 burst mode and 5 minute interval, it took 36 pics in about an hour and a half. All pics were of racoons anywhere from 1 to 4 'coons in a pic. They didn't seem to be bothered at all by the flash.

I couldn't wait any longer to see how it was doing, so I brought the camera in and put the pics on the computer. Very nice. I am going to like this!

Thanks for the help!